Want to hear the new Wilco release? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Want to hear the new Wilco release?

Swish
09-03-2011, 12:13 PM
http://wilcoworld.net/twlsplash/

"We're gonna do a special under-the-radar stream of the new record for Wilcoworld only. Here's the deal -- as a reward for your labors, ours, and those of our forefathers/mothers -- starting at 12 Noon Central time (Saturday) and for 24 hours straight we're gonna stream The Whole Love in its entirety, at wilcoworld.net. That's right. Your first chance to hear the whole thing is tomorrow. Trust us, you'll be glad you made time to check it out.
Next up, The Whole Love is officially out and in stores on September 27 -- which is less than a month away. Have you preordered yours yet? If not, you can at our store, iTunes, the ANTI- Records store, Amazon and many indie retailers. We suggest you give a listen, maybe check out a couple of the videos we have up on the site, and then pull the trigger and order one for yourself and maybe a couple more for holiday gifts. What the heck, may as well get an early start, right?"

Slosh
09-21-2011, 11:35 PM
Got my CD yesterday, a week early :cool:

Mr MidFi
09-22-2011, 06:10 AM
Early review? C'mon... if you're posting at 2:30am, I know you're listening!

Slosh
09-22-2011, 12:41 PM
It's somewhere in between Summerteeth and YHF, I'd say after one spin. Still too early for me to really know it yet, but on first blush......

I really like Wilco (The Album) a lot, but many people consider that and SBS among their weaker albums. I'm not one of those people, however.

Mr MidFi
09-23-2011, 05:47 AM
It's somewhere in between Summerteeth and YHF...

Sold!

Davey
09-24-2011, 01:01 PM
Yea, this is definitely my favorite Wilco record in a while, mainly due to the beginning and ending. Glad to have that sense of adventure back, and the closer is one of Jeff's most poignant, though it probably doesn't need the full 12 minutes to show that. In between it's a little mixed for me, some ups and downs, a little too much candy, but the band still pulls it together. I still get the feel at times, like on the last couple albums, that without such a good and inventive band, some of Jeff's songs just don't hold up as well as the past. But I guess maybe that's not the point anymore.

Don't miss the Letterman Ed Sullivan concert video ... the video quality is kinda crappy, but they really are in top form, and the sound is good - handshake drugs is incredible!

Late Show Video - Wilco - CBS.com (http://www.cbs.com/late_night/liveonletterman/wilco/video/)

3LB
10-04-2011, 08:14 PM
This is a little more adventurous than the last two, but still much in the vein of The Album. Any attempt at edgy, noisey dissonance is brief and the songs are built as much or moreso around songcraft as they are being meaningful or profound (not necessarily a bad thing). Face it, Jeff just isn't writing the angst ridden, edge-of-loosing-it stuff he was writing in the beginning of the century, and when he is, he's being ironic. He's more Norman Rockwell these days than the Jackson Pollock some older Wilco fans want him to be. Sometimes you get the feeling that Tweedy is channeling Harry Nilsson and sometimes the band sounds like Old '97s, but this is still a good album, one that I enjoyed stem to stern upon first listen.