Speaking of Brian Jonestown Massacre ... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of Brian Jonestown Massacre ...

Davey
09-02-2011, 01:49 PM
This was one hot band in the mid 90s, even with the somewhat ill-chosen name, though I'm kind of a sucker for the smart wordsmith, so blending the clear Brian Jones-era Stones influence in their sound with the latter day mass cult suicide in Jonestown seems somehow prophetic. Maybe a bit forced, sure, but it is rock and roll, and overindulgence is the norm.

Anyway, it's all about the music, and this band delivers solidly on at least two records, Take It From The Man and Give It Back!, though I'm sure other fans may lean towards others. Just loaded a couple songs from the latter, and already one from the former at SotD. Sometimes mixed in/up with the Dandy Warhols, but maybe a little better defined in their career goals. I do love the Dandy's Thirteen Tales from Urban Bohemia, but they sometimes seem to lack a real "sound" beyond that record. Or even song-to-song on that record. But BJM has a swagger befitting the sound.

Rae
09-02-2011, 02:12 PM
Sometimes mixed in/up with the Dandy Warhols, but maybe a little better defined in their career goals

Definitely mixed in and up in the excellent documentary Dig! (http://www.netflix.com/Movie/DiG/60034777), which profiles both bands and their ambitious frontmen in particular. Newcombe and the Brian Jonestown Massacre come off better in that one (perhaps the argument could be made that it's largely due to the filmmakers' intent to mythologize him) but no one is portrayed as particularly sane.

Neither of these two bands do anything for me, though, honestly. The Warhols record you single out is among my most reviled albums that I've unfortunately had repeated exposure to. I get why folks have a taste for this stuff, but I must've been born without that particular pleasure center because it always strikes me as ugly, grating, and contrived.

~Rae

Davey
09-02-2011, 03:13 PM
I get why folks have a taste for this stuff, but I must've been born without that particular pleasure center because it always strikes me as ugly, grating, and contrived.

~Rae

BJM is pretty special, but I really love that 60's psychedelic droney jangle pop sound. The Stones of course abandoned it pretty early, but some of the bands I like picked up on it in later years. Though I do like it, I can see the reaction to 13 Tales and some of the other Dandy projects, which are admittedly calculated to appeal to someone like me with a variety of popular sounds, but not BJM. They have a pretty solid foundation in that 60's era, with the drugs and sitars and feedback.

Rae
09-02-2011, 05:41 PM
but not BJM.

Heh heh, it's okay-- we can like different records sometimes. It doesn't happen that often, though, so maybe I'll get around to listening to those BJM records with fresh ears at some point.

~Rae

SlumpBuster
09-02-2011, 07:11 PM
There are only two kinds of people in this world: Warhols fans and people who aren't Warhols fans yet.

The Dandy Warhols - Now You Love Me - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLuKi9xZRh0&feature=related)

Pitchfork gave it 3.5 out of 10, which sounded like a bad review until I remembered that Pitchfork sucks.

But, there would be no Warhols without the BJM. Every new band should be required to pass the BJM litmus test before releasing a record. If they don't sound or look this good, then they have to go back for remedial rock lessons.
Brian Jonestown Massacre - Servo - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwSXoTNVvNE)

Davey
09-03-2011, 07:43 AM
Heh heh, it's okay-- we can like different records sometimes.

Yea, yea, I know, wasn't really trying to change your misguided mind, just making a little separation between BJM and the Warhols since I don't think either of the BJM records I mentioned sound like DW :)

NP: http://thruthestatic.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/terminal_hi.jpg

Forgot how good this Pere Ubu collection sounds, especially the early singles, right now just thru Senn 600 phones plugged directly into my lowly HP laptop headphone jack with foobar output via Wasapi. Solid drums and bass, and the phones help to accentuate the quirky elements in the mix that sometimes get lost when couch bopping in front of the stereo.