What y'all listening to? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What y'all listening to?

Whooptee
09-02-2011, 10:33 AM
Hey there! Long time since I've ventured in here. Hope everyone's been doing well. Here's some newer stuff I've had in rotation lately. What about you?

After a while with PJ Harvey's "Let England Shake", I'm really liking it. There are bits I don't care for and it's pretty different from the PJ I've always loved best, but all in all, I find myself really enjoying it.

From last year, I absolutely love Warpaint's "The Fool". This all girl band definitely listened to the Smiths, the Cure and Joy Division.

She Keeps Bees' "Dig On" is good so far. I haven't spent a whole lot of time with it. There's no real knockout tracks, but still it's solid all the way through.

I just got War on Drugs' "Slave Ambient" and after the first spin I'm liking what I'm hearing.

Also looking for to the new Wooden Shjips, because I love me some space rock.

I have Giant Sand's "Thin Line Man". It has a song called Body of Water that I've always liked. I happened upon this video of the old Giant Sandworms' version of the same song and WOW!!!! I'm sure it's not for everyone, but I love it.

Here it is:

Giant Sandworms (Howe Gelb) - Body Of Water - 1983 - YouTube (http://youtu.be/k3YwOYjrqbQ)

John

Davey
09-02-2011, 10:49 AM
Wow, cool to see you around, John!

recoveryone
09-02-2011, 11:34 AM
A few of my new fav's recently:

I Bust the windows out your Car Jazmine Sullivan

I hope she cheats on you Marsha Ambrosius

The Truth India Arie

Feels Good Rahsaan Patterson

Heard this last one while driving my bosses truck:
Jesus Take the Wheel Carrie Underwood
And I don't really care for country music, but when the message is this clear the style/Genre don't matter.

Rae
09-02-2011, 12:26 PM
That Wooden Shjips is GRRREAT. I've been listening to it all week.

~Rae

Whooptee
09-04-2011, 12:28 AM
Thanks Davey! It's cool that I still recognize most of the peeps on here. Glad you're all still around.

Hey Rae! I think the official release is the 13th. I've listened to some previews and I like as well.

Swish
09-04-2011, 01:37 PM
That Wooden Shjips is GRRREAT. I've been listening to it all week.

~Rae

I guess I'll have to check out that Wooden Shjips.

Wassup Whooptee? Or is is Wooptie, or Woopty, or...

bobsticks
09-04-2011, 06:48 PM
This thread is both sublime and macabre...thanks go to Whooptie for waking the dead...

Rae
09-05-2011, 07:59 PM
Hey Rae! I think the official release is the 13th. I've listened to some previews and I like as well.

Well, I'm relinquishing a little bit of my cred by saying that I didn't realize that they have one coming out; the one I've been listening to a lot lately is Dos. That one is so so good, especially the closing jam "Falling". I checked out the new one today and it's a lot different; not saying that I won't find an angle on it but definitely a slightly different sound. I think I'm going to see them in Chicago in November and these songs should be massive live.

Hey, if you're jonesing for some space rock you should check out the Thunderbolt Pagoda that I brought up in the 2010 favorites thread (http://forums.audioreview.com/348856-post35.html).

That Giant Sandworms video is indeed awesome! Thanks for sharing it! I ripped the audio and added it to my laptop library.

~Rae

Jim Clark
09-19-2011, 07:30 AM
Wowzers, not sure how on earth I could have missed WarPaint, but I sure did. Grabbed a bootleg on Dime a Dozen and I've been playing it non-stop since I read your post on Sat. Got it ordered and can't wait to the postman to get this disc to me.

Also, Wooden Shjips is something I went ahead and ordered too. Like what I was able to hear online. thanks for the tips!

jc

AliceWool
09-20-2011, 12:40 AM
I'm listening to Eminem:2::dita: