Well.... that was interesting, Irene's come and gone! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Well.... that was interesting, Irene's come and gone!

Worf101
08-28-2011, 06:49 PM
Lots of water, lots of wind... the river's high de high (Hudson) and the damn on the resevoirs crackin'... whoooo lord...

Hicky Bruuuur.

Worf

JohnMichael
08-28-2011, 07:02 PM
Irene good night Irene good night
Good night Irene Good night Irene
I'll see you in my dreams

Last Saturday night I got married
Me and my wife settled down
Now me and my wife have parted
I'm gonna take a little stroll downtown

Some times I live in the country
Some times I live in town
Some times I take a great notion
To jump in the river and drown

Quit your rambling quit your gambling
Stop staying out late at night
Stay home with your wife and family
And stay by the fireside of right

First thing I thought of since I am a Huddie Ledbetter fan.

Robert-The-Rambler
08-28-2011, 07:40 PM
The storm was long past here in Long Island and 7:30pm 3 trees came toppling down near my house dangling still leaning against another tree very close to my neighbor's yard. The thing was in Maine when this happened. Maine!!!!!!!!! I wonder how long it will be before somebody shows up to get rid of those trees. Luckily I only lost power for about 4 hours. My neighbor across the street had a tree land on the house. Its leaning against the front of the house. I didn't go any closer. I knew when the the storm was in NC that Long Island would get the stronger winds and less rain based on the characteristics of the storm drying out on the east and southern portions. I am a weather junkie but man I'm glad this thing could not stay strong. Good riddance!!!!

Robert-The-Rambler
08-28-2011, 07:45 PM

Last Saturday night I got married
Me and my wife settled down
Now me and my wife have parted
I'm gonna take a little stroll downtown

Some times I live in the country
Some times I live in town
Some times I take a great notion
To jump in the river and drown

Quit your rambling quit your gambling
Stop staying out late at night
Stay home with your wife and family
And stay by the fireside of right

First thing I thought of since I am a Huddie Ledbetter fan.

I was trying to find one to play at work over the PA system but I settled for Riders on the Storm and other storm oriented tunes.

Hyfi
08-29-2011, 07:49 AM
We had lots of rain and flooding. My house is OK, but we lost power for a day. My office building is still without power so we are working by webmail from home today.

It's a good thing I flew into Philly from Seattle late Friday night or I would have been stranded big time out west.

And I missed the Earthquake, damit!

Not far from me they also had Tornadoes while the Hurricane was over us as well as the Earthquake, all in one week.

Our friends house on Ocean Ave in Spring Lake NJ held up OK, but the whole 2.5 mile boardwalk is 8 feet off it's foundation towards the ocean, turned sideways, or completely gone. They are in Vermont and got slammed with flooding up there too.

bobsticks
08-29-2011, 08:09 AM
Our friends house on Ocean Ave in Spring Lake NJ held up OK, but the whole 2.5 mile boardwalk is 8 feet off it's foundation towards the ocean, turned sideways, or completely gone. They are in Vermont and got slammed with flooding up there too.

Hey B., glad to read that you and yours are doing okay.

As for the damage, I suspect that the inclination for the those of us in the Midwest or on the Leftcoast is to downplay the situation because of the lower reported death toll. I just read that the damages from Irene most likely will total in the billions. Obviously there was some impactful disaster/evac planning and implementation.

Hyfi
08-29-2011, 09:02 AM
Hey B., glad to read that you and yours are doing okay.

As for the damage, I suspect that the inclination for the those of us in the Midwest or on the Leftcoast is to downplay the situation because of the lower reported death toll. I just read that the damages from Irene most likely will total in the billions. Obviously there was some impactful disaster/evac planning and implementation.

Yeah, they did a forced evac of all the Jersey coastal towns, and then Philly got hit worse. Lots of damage but very few deaths.

Worf101
08-30-2011, 04:30 AM
The Hudson River didn't crest until late yesterday afternoon. Many denizens of Troy, myself included, got as close to the murky mess as we could and watched as all manner of things floated, quite rapidly, towards the Atlantic ocean. Most of the time it was just wood and debris, but occaisionally you see something you recognize, a shed, small boat etc.. It wasn't until I saw a car floating by that the magnitude of the destruction started hitting me. Wow. mother nature don't play around.

Worf

dean_martin
08-30-2011, 07:03 AM
Glad to see you folks made it through the storm. I'm hoping we dodge the bullet here along the Gulf Coast this season.

I'm amazed at how things work out. My son just moved on campus at Rutgers-Camden. Earlier this summer, before he knew he was going to Rutgers, he met a young couple from the Camden area at a music festival in West Virginia. When Irene was closing in they invited him to their home and he stayed until the storm passed. I've never met them, but I'm grateful.

GMichael
08-30-2011, 07:10 AM
We just lost power for a day, and work lost it for two. Many others in our area were not so lucky. Some of my coworkers lost everything but the clothes on their back. Houses destroyed with everything in it. Apartments flooded with water that had fuel oil in it. When these people called the authorities for help they were told that, many others have it much worse and need real help, and to not tie up the phone lines, then hung up on. They have no idea were to turn from here.

ForeverAutumn
08-30-2011, 07:34 AM
We just lost power for a day, and work lost it for two. Many others in our area were not so lucky. Some of my coworkers lost everything but the clothes on their back. Houses destroyed with everything in it. Apartments flooded with water that had fuel oil in it. When these people called the authorities for help they were told that, many others have it much worse and need real help, and to not tie up the phone lines, then hung up on. They have no idea were to turn from here.

I had no idea it was that bad. On the news here they've shown some flooded areas and stuff, but nothing about people losing their homes and everything they own. Given the non-stop coverage we saw after Katrina and the Earthquake in Japan, this storm has been really downplayed in the news IMO.

I think I saw more coverage before the storm, about NYC being evacuated, than I've seen since the storm.

JohnMichael
08-30-2011, 08:09 AM

GM I am glad you and family are safe and sound. Worf and others in the path of the storm I glad you are safe. My friends in Vermont had a rough time with downed trees and flooding.

I guess I am lucky with the local weather. In this area not much dangerous weather. More apt to die from boredom, STD's or a rednecks gun but not weather.

Hyfi
08-30-2011, 08:28 AM
still 47,000 people without electric here, including my work office. We are all stuck trying to help customers with webmail only.

Here is a vid of Spring Lake NJ, close to halfway through is whats left of the Boardwalk. When they pan down to the right, and you see a little shack at the end, our friends house is right at that spot on Ocean Ave, which flooded from a pond 2 blocks the other way, not from the ocean.

<object width="420" height="345"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Y_WFa7U7AVU?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Y_WFa7U7AVU?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="345" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

lelan
09-08-2011, 12:22 AM
Lots of water, lots of wind... the river's high de high (Hudson) and the damn on the resevoirs crackin'... whoooo lord...

Hicky Bruuuur.

Worf

Is it a scene in the movie about the end of the earth?

GMichael
09-08-2011, 05:48 AM
The last of Lee hit us last night. People who still haven't dried out from Ireen are under water again.

We have trees that look like they just passed out. The ground is so swampy that it can't hold the weight of some trees anymore.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
09-08-2011, 01:27 PM
The last of Lee hit us last night. People who still haven't dried out from Ireen are under water again.

We have trees that look like they just passed out. The ground is so swampy that it can't hold the weight of some trees anymore.

G,
I am really glad you are okay, and my prayers go out to you and your neighbors. Having been through a few hurricanes, I can attest to how frightening they really are.

Poultrygeist
09-09-2011, 06:32 AM
On Monday Lee kicked my butt all the way from Lancaster, Pennsylvania to Charlotte, North Carolina. Never driven in that much hard rain over so many miles.