NASCAR Surround [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : NASCAR Surround

recoveryone
08-28-2011, 01:26 PM
Last night I was lying back flipping through the channels and I caught the begining of the race. No big deal, I did enjoy the pray, but it was the part after "Gentlemen Start your Engines" my surrounds leap to life, they had channeled the radio chatter of the drivers and pits to the rears and it felt like I was right in the middle of pit row. I was wondering was I the only one to experience such a thrill.

Jack in Wilmington
08-29-2011, 05:22 AM
Looks like you're not finding many NASCAR fans here either. A bunch of guys I used to work with were into it, but I couldn't watch more than a couple laps. I much prefer NHRA.

TheHills44060
08-29-2011, 05:53 AM
I'm with you Jack. The closest I ever came to watching stock car racing was seeing the movie Six Pack as a kid.

recoveryone
08-29-2011, 06:05 AM
I'm just a motor/gear head and if its auto racing I'll watch it no matter the type. I watch BBC Top Gear, Motorweek, Wheeler Dealer (UK show), Overhaulin, Pimp my Ride to name a few. I was impressed with how they used (not sure if it was on purpose or not) surround mix to have the radio chatter filter that way, I have used handheld HT's most of my life and when it first came across my rears I quickly reach along my hip, thinking I forgot to turn in my radio from work. Thats how loud and clear it came out.

Jack in Wilmington
08-29-2011, 06:22 AM
The guys at work go to the two Dover, De. races each year and they have their NASCAR headsets so they can tune in and hear what the drivers are saying. One guy also goes to the Richmond races and the Charlotte race in Oct. We would always have fun with them on Monday morning. They'd be like "hey did you see the race" and we'd be like "yeah I turned it on cause I needed a nap"

harley .guy07
08-29-2011, 08:22 AM
I have noticed that a lot of your sporting events including Nascar and drag racing have adopted using surround channels as well as their HD picture and I do like it and I think its part to try to get more people to watch it if not for the love of the sport for a cool audio video experience. Nothing wrong with that and the fact that they do it to me would make it more fun and more interesting to watch. I do like to watch the All Harley drag racing event's occasionally and they will sometimes put the engine sounds or the crowd responses in the surround channels and try to make the experience like you were there, while it does not always come off accurately it is fun and a whole lot better than them just sending stereo and not trying to do anything.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
08-30-2011, 09:00 AM
One of the fastest growing areas of broadcast is surround sound. They are getting pretty clever in how they are using the soundfield for events such as NASCAR, football and basketball. Even the way they mix baseball games puts you in the center of the action.

hifitommy
09-04-2011, 08:43 AM
with no judgements on the watchability of any sporting event, i will say that live events sound great in surround. some of you may remember that i embrace DYNAQUAD for surround as it works equally well (or poorly as some of you will moan) on ALL formats of audio. fm radio, LP, cd, sacd, dvda, tv sound, open reel and cassette tape, even 8track. it doesnt matter.

when NYPD Blue was on the air, it was fantastic as when they were outside, so were you-sonically as someone on their team was paying attention.

so yeah, football games, racing events, etc sound like youre out there. a great effect.