Seeking Receiver Feedback [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Receiver Feedback

ericc22
08-27-2011, 05:37 PM
I am having a problem pulling the trigger. Thanks to everyone for patience with my posts as I keep changing my mind. Here is a recap....

I want to spend about $700. I have a small room - about 12x9. My speakers will be Sierra-1s. I listen to music mostly but some home theater. My home theater sources are mostly BD and HDTV. My main source of music is itunes.

I had been targeting the Onkyo 809, but have decided to save $ and go for the 709. I don't think I will benefit from the better video upscaling of the 809 and don't see much else that is different. True? I plan to connect the Onkyo to itunes via my Airport Express.

One thing I like a lot about the Onkyo is Audyssey. It seems to be a simple way to get the system reasonably calibrated. I also have 2 places I sit so perhaps I can use this to quickly readjust.

I prefer the Onkyo to the Denon and Marantz equivilents. I have been intrigued by the Pioneer Elites. I very much like how they integrate with the Apple products.

I could use some help to confirm my plan, and, to offer a few opinions on the Pioneer. A few questions:
- opinion on the Onkyo 809 vs. 709
- favorite Pioneer Elite in the $700 range
- Pioneer Elite vs. Onkyo
- etc.

All opinions are most appreciated!

Eric

harley .guy07
08-27-2011, 06:46 PM
From the knowledge I have form looking at the models form Pioneer Elite and Onkyo they look like both will do what you ask of them as far as theater and music and as far as quality at that price range both brands offer units in that price range that are good, but I would think that Onkyo would offer more for the money at that price point. As far as sound character or differences I have not heard each one with the same sources and speakers to see the difference and I am not sure which ones work with apple stuff but it seems you already know that but I would look at Yamaha as well, Their Aventage line seems to be getting a lot of good reviews lately and they might work with the apple stuff as well. But if you chose Onkyo I don't think you would be doing wrong and the fact is that receivers in the $700 range are a big choice since there are so many offerings in this realm. Just take your time and look at every spec, option and build quality because how they are built on the outside might have a clue on how they are built on the inside.

harley .guy07
08-27-2011, 07:00 PM
I did look up your speakers and they are specified at a efficiency that is like my Dynaudios which means that you don't have to have the highest power to run them but they do like current and that is where you are going to run into having to do some research to find a receiver that will deliver the current that those speakers like. And that also depends on your listening habits as far as volume and the style of music you listen to, believe me it makes a difference. I haven't used my Yamaha's main channel's amp since I bought it because I had a outboard power amp and when I did try it it did not have the current needed for some of the music I listen to.

BadAssJazz
08-27-2011, 07:40 PM
I can't speak to the current field of either Onkyo or Pioneer Elite receivers, but a few years ago I upgraded from the Onkyo 805 to the Pioneer Elite SC-07 with no regrets. I realize these are two different pricepoint models with the 805 being a mid-level receiver and the SC-07 being second to the flagship model at the time, but from performance, to features, to the absence of glitches, to even the little things -- like how hot the Onkyo ran -- the Pioneer Elite with its Class D amps was the better receiver.

That said, the QC may have changed drastically over the years, so I strongly advise thoroughly researching both brands/models.

ericc22
08-28-2011, 06:45 AM
Thanks everyone!

I do know from the manufacturer of the Sierra-1s that the Onkyo receiver is well suited to the speakers. Not sure of the others but I'll check.

Right now I am leaning towards the Onkyo 709 still. It is going for $589 delivered on Amazon which seems like a good deal. If you know of a better deal let me know.

Thanks everyone. I think I need some serious HT Therapy!

winston
08-28-2011, 09:14 AM
Thanks everyone!

I do know from the manufacturer of the Sierra-1s that the Onkyo receiver is well suited to the speakers. Not sure of the others but I'll check.

Right now I am leaning towards the Onkyo 709 still. It is going for $589 delivered on Amazon which seems like a good deal. If you know of a better deal let me know.

Thanks everyone. I think I need some serious HT Therapy!

Ericc, "not to rain an your parade or anything like that" but you should know" that all of these popular brands receivers, from mid-grade to the top of the line (prices falls like rain shortly before and after they arrived on the market, :idea: your now leaning towards the brand new model (709) which is already mark down about 50% or more less than the retail price

the models changes so frequently that there's always problems that turns them into (Refurbished or factory refresh) before they gets to the dealer, and that means lower prices for the specs. that your looking for!!

keep in mind" that the Onkyo mid-grade are highly susceptible in those regards.

spending more time shopping wouldn't hurt. good luck

ericc22
08-28-2011, 09:39 AM
Thanks Winston! I appreciate the warning.

Anything you would recommend in that price range?

Thanks!

BadAssJazz
08-28-2011, 09:56 AM
Ericc, "not to rain an your parade or anything like that" but you should know" that all of these popular brands receivers, from mid-grade to the top of the line (prices falls like rain shortly before and after they arrived on the market, :idea: your now leaning towards the brand new model (709) which is already mark down about 50% or more less than the retail price

the models changes so frequently that there's always problems that turns them into (Refurbished or factory refresh) before they gets to the dealer, and that means lower prices for the specs. that your looking for!!

keep in mind" that the Onkyo mid-grade are highly susceptible in those regards.

spending more time shopping wouldn't hurt. good luck

I was going to offer a similar caveat.

I found the prices to be all over the joint for the 709 in checking websites Vann’s ($589), Amazon ($589), Onkyo USA ($899), and ABT Electronics (on sale for $648). Not a cause of concern to the casual buyer until you realize that (a) the 709 is the newest model and it’s rare for any manufacturer to steeply discount a new model this far removed from Black Friday; and (b) all of the aforementioned sellers are authorized dealers and should, by right, offer the same slashed price.

I’m not saying that I am aware of any confirmed issues with the 709, I’m simply saying that given Onkyo’s history, thoroughly research their products. Read as many owner reviews as possible. Not just the reviews from folks in the new purchase placebo-induced glow of the first few days of ownership, but from the folks who have owned their receiver for longer than the return or warranty period. Always best to proceed eyes wide open.

You can start here:

Onkyo TX NR709 Owners' Thread - AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1340545)

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Onkyo TX-NR709 7.2-Channel Network A/V Receiver (Black) (http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-NR709-7-2-Channel-Network-Receiver/product-reviews/B004V8KWQO/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1)

Hyfi
08-28-2011, 10:16 AM
If you like the Onkyo features, spend the extra $100 and get an Integra 30.3.

ericc22
08-28-2011, 12:59 PM
I had looked into that. The Integra priced similar to the Onkyo 809 and it seemed that the Onkyo had better features. I particularly like the Audyysey implementation on the Onkyos vs. the Integra.

I assume you are recommending the Integra because it will be more reliable?

Thank you!