Hey Woodman? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Hey Woodman?

poneal
04-14-2004, 03:24 PM
My TV has begun to develop horizontal lines across the top about 3 inches deep. You can see through these lines but it is very distracting. Is it time for me to buy a new TV or is there an easy fix? Thanks.

omikey
04-15-2004, 05:01 AM
My TV (Pionner Pro 800HD Plasma - I know your position on these TVs, but that's not my question) has rolling horizontal lines that slowly roll up to the top of the set and then off the screen.

MOST of the time I don't notice these, however at times, when the background is of high mixed colors and mostly light on the sides but darker in the center of the picture .... I can see the bar rolling up the screen.

When watching broadcast TV (cable, sucks) and they switch between program and commercial at times the picture is blank ... at which time the screen is black, except for these horizontal bars, light in contrast to the black background. Usually one near the top 1/3 of the screen and one near the bottom 1/3 of the screen and they are rolling up and off the screen.

The bars appear be about 1/2 - 1 inch wide, but if I look at them real close I can discern that there are really a bunch of little bars (lines) in a bunch. So at first glance it looks like one single bar, but it's not really.

Any ideas on what causes this ?
Should I consider a line power filter ?
Is this a 60 cycle thing ?
Is this just somthing that is coming in from the cable company ?
Is this what is known as the 'raster' ?
Is there a way to get rid of it ?
Is it time to take the set in for service - it's under warranty

Thanks for any light that you shed on this.

My TV has begun to develop horizontal lines across the top about 3 inches deep. You can see through these lines but it is very distracting. Is it time for me to buy a new TV or is there an easy fix? Thanks.

woodman
04-15-2004, 02:09 PM
Paul:
I don't quite understand your "problem" from your description, but that's not the important factor here. Whether to fix or replace is really what you're asking, isn't it? In order to answer that one, I need to know the particulars of the present set .... brand, age, reliability up to now, how much TV you watch, from what source do you get TV signals, etc. Also, your financial ability to replace the set at this point in time without severe budgetary restraints which would force you to get something other than what you'd like. Supply more info and I'll try to help you further.

Mikey:
Your "problem" sounds like what's known as a "ground loop", which often is the result of a poor ground connection from the cableTV company, or at least a "ground" which is at a different potential from the "ground" that the rest of your gear sees. To prove this, disconnect the cable line from your TV display and play a DVD. Chances are, your problem will be gone. The next step would be to contact the cable company to come out and fix the problem for you. Although the problem could originate in the plasma set itself, whoich would require a repair by your service facility, the chances are about half way between slim and zilch.

poneal
04-15-2004, 04:41 PM
The TV is a JVC approximately 4-5 years old. I have time warner basic cable. The TV has recently developed horizontal lines across the top 1/8 of the screen. You can see the image behind these lines. Its like theres a line, a gap, a line, a gap, etc going from the top of the screen down about 4-6 inches. You can see the image through both the gap and the lines. The rest of the picture is fine and is as it should be. I have the coax cable connected to an old vcr and then have the composite out of the vcr connected to my composite in on my receiver. I then connect the monitor out on my receiver to the TV. My receiver does have S-Video and Component but my TV has only RCA and coax connections. If I buy a new TV I will only be able to spend at most $800 so for now HDTV is probably out of the question. I want at least a 32". Thanks and hope this provides more info. Oh, it also has the lines when I watch a DVD movie. The lines are i guess about an 1/8" in width.

woodman
04-15-2004, 05:16 PM
The TV is a JVC approximately 4-5 years old. I have time warner basic cable. The TV has recently developed horizontal lines across the top 1/8 of the screen. You can see the image behind these lines. Its like theres a line, a gap, a line, a gap, etc going from the top of the screen down about 4-6 inches. You can see the image through both the gap and the lines. The rest of the picture is fine and is as it should be. I have the coax cable connected to an old vcr and then have the composite out of the vcr connected to my composite in on my receiver. I then connect the monitor out on my receiver to the TV. My receiver does have S-Video and Component but my TV has only RCA and coax connections. If I buy a new TV I will only be able to spend at most $800 so for now HDTV is probably out of the question. I want at least a 32". Thanks and hope this provides more info. Oh, it also has the lines when I watch a DVD movie. The lines are i guess about an 1/8" in width.

Your TV is in need of a shop repair. There is no quick, simple, easy "fix" that could be done in the home. The cost will probably be in the range of $100-150 - depending on where you live and the availability of competent (and reasonably priced) repairs in your area. Knowing this, you can reach a decision on just what you want to do. If it were me, I'd replace the set rather than repair it, but that's a judgment call that only YOU can make.

You can get a good 32" set for what you can afford ... I'd recommend Toshiba as your best bet for what's truly important (reliability + versatility + performance = value.

Hope this helps you

poneal
04-15-2004, 05:58 PM
Which Toshiba model is better and whats the tube difference?
32A43 32" FST Black SuperTube $378
32AF43 32" FST Pure FlatTube $568

omikey
04-16-2004, 05:02 AM
Woodman - Thanks for the tips. I'll disco the cable tonight and play a DVD and see if the bars are gone.....if so, I'll followup with the cable company to get out here and fix the ground.
Thanks again !

woodman
04-16-2004, 03:19 PM
Which Toshiba model is better and whats the tube difference?
32A43 32" FST Black SuperTube $378
32AF43 32" FST Pure FlatTube $568

Paul:
The 32AF43 is the "better" set. Whether or not it's worth the $190 difference in price is strictly a subjective judgment for YOU to make. The main difference between the two is in the CRT used ... the 32A43 uses a standard type CRT with a (slightly) curved screen, while the 32AF43 uses a perfectly flat screen CRT. The latter tube costs more to manufacture - hence the substantial difference in price between the two sets. The only other differences between the two are quite minor and of very little consequence.

Hope this helps you

poneal
04-16-2004, 06:29 PM
Yup it helped.