Ideal Budget Subwoofer [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Ideal Budget Subwoofer

MntnMan62
08-25-2011, 06:04 AM
I presently have a Harman Kardon HK3490 driving a pair of Silverline Audio Minuets and a Polk PSW10 subwoofer in my basement mancave/gym/drum studio. I am in the process of purchasing a micro system for the office and intend on using that polk sub with the office micro system (probably the Onkyo CS-445). That means I am in the market for a nicer, yet still budget, subwoofer to complement the HK and Silverlines. When I say budget, I probably don't want to go much more than $350 to $400. I've looked into another Polk, PSW111 (seen it for $150) and Hsu stf-2 ($350). I would be greatful to hear what you might suggest as to whether the Hsu is that much better than the PSW111 for more than twice the price and what other options may be out there that I have not considered. I am somewhat reluctant to buy a used subwoofer so new is the preferable approach. Many thanks.

SlumpBuster
08-25-2011, 07:19 AM
I don't know how those two compare, but in this price range, I would get one of these:

Dayton Audio T1003K 10" Titanic Mk III Subwoofer Kit (http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?PartNumber=300-760)

MntnMan62
08-25-2011, 08:53 AM
Thanks for the suggestion SlumpBuster. Do you know how the T1003K would stack up against their Sub-100? They are both 10" and both are rated to go down to 30hz but the T1003k has 240 watts and the Sub-100 is 125 watts. The T1003K is $400 and the Sub-100 is $130. Will there be a marked difference between the two?

MntnMan62
08-25-2011, 09:40 AM
Bestcovery.com shows the Definitive Technology ProSub 60 as the top subwoofer under $300. It can be had for $128 on ebay. Wondering if anyone has any experience with this sub in comparison to the others already mentioned.:biggrin5: Not sure if Bestcovery is even something to be relied upon.

SlumpBuster
08-25-2011, 03:52 PM
The bargain basement prices that you are finding on the Def Tech and Polk are undoubtedly come from grey market suppliers. There will be no warranty on them. Also when you buy from grey market, you can't even be sure that you are going to get a 110 volt model.

I have heard several sized of Titanic and have liked them all. I haven't heard the Sub 100. While the rate the same, I think the Titanic will perform much better. It has a more powerful amp and a much beefier driver. That being said, I've never had/heard a Dayton product I didn't like. The bang for the buck is outrageous on them and they have a 45 day unconditional satisfaction guarantee. You seem to be favoring the lower end of your price range. Accordingly, I would try the Sub 100 without giving it a second thought. Worse case scenario you can return it.

LeRoy
08-25-2011, 06:14 PM
I presently have a Harman Kardon HK3490 driving a pair of Silverline Audio Minuets and a Polk PSW10 subwoofer in my basement mancave/gym/drum studio. I am in the process of purchasing a micro system for the office and intend on using that polk sub with the office micro system (probably the Onkyo CS-445). That means I am in the market for a nicer, yet still budget, subwoofer to complement the HK and Silverlines. When I say budget, I probably don't want to go much more than $350 to $400. I've looked into another Polk, PSW111 (seen it for $150) and Hsu stf-2 ($350). I would be greatful to hear what you might suggest as to whether the Hsu is that much better than the PSW111 for more than twice the price and what other options may be out there that I have not considered. I am somewhat reluctant to buy a used subwoofer so new is the preferable approach. Many thanks.

Hello,

TAS gave a golden ear award to a Rel T5 sub and that is very close to your price range. I think Vellodyne also has a sub that is marketed for HT and I will get that model number for you later as it escapes my memory at the moment.

Here is the Velodyne info:

V

http://www.velodyne.com/vproducts/detailpdf/VX-11_Details.pdf

LeRoy
08-25-2011, 07:01 PM
Vanns seems to have a lotta subwoofers at reduced prices....

Speakers Reviews, Ratings, Deals and Comparison (http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/category/desc/27/1/speakers/)

harley .guy07
08-26-2011, 05:23 AM
I would second the Dayton sub outperforming the Polk anytime, It just has a better amp and driver not to mention that the cabinet will be dampened better and will be an overall smoother response. another option is Emotiva is having a sale on their web site on their subs and from what I have heard is that they are very good for the money and they has a good warranty but I would not think that they would have the capability of the Dayton sub.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
08-26-2011, 12:21 PM

The HSU is a huge bargain. Lots of clean output, bass down to 25hz accurately, and the price is right as well.

blackraven
08-26-2011, 06:01 PM
I have read that the Emotiva subs are a bargain. Maybe Mr. P can chime in about them.

Emotiva Ultra Series 10 Subwoofer with Studio Black Satin Lacquer Finish (http://www.emotiva.com/ultra_sub10.shtm)

This Mirage sub is a great buy for $338-
Amazon.com: Mirage Omni-S10 10-Inch 800 Watt High-Performance Subwoofer: Electronics (http://www.amazon.com/Mirage-Omni-S10-10-Inch-High-Performance-Subwoofer/dp/B000F938BE/ref=sr_du_1_map?ie=UTF8&qid=1314410306&sr=8-1)

harley .guy07
08-26-2011, 06:56 PM
Actually Emotiva has a new line of subs coming out so if someone is looking for a good sub cheap then their ultra series are on clearance through them and I don't know the prices right now but since they weren't that high to begin with I would bet one could get a good deal on one before they ran out of stock.

Poultrygeist
08-27-2011, 04:09 AM
I'd go with the Dayton kit. Every driver I've bought from PE has been an absolute winner.

harley .guy07
08-27-2011, 05:28 AM
I have used Dayton drivers in speaker builds and repairs in the past and have been impressed for the money and I am using one of their plate amps on my current sub since the stock amp blew and it is a powerhouse so I second this recommendation.

TheHills44060
08-27-2011, 05:56 AM
I vote for the Dayton sub. Probably couldn't go wrong with an HSU either but I wouldn't touch the Emotiva with a 10,000 foot pole.

harley .guy07
08-27-2011, 07:54 AM
Some of Emo's products I will admit have been rather unreliable to date but I bought a set of surround speakers from them and they are some of the best surround speakers I have heard in my system and plenty others plus they were rather inexpensive and they go well with my Dynaudio's. Their amps and pre pro's seem to he the products that have the reliability issues if I recall.

t-bones
08-27-2011, 10:58 AM
There is a deal on ebay right now for a Pinnacle 12" 200watt sub for $131 including shipping. It is brand new w/ a warrenty from the factory. That is the best deal I out there for a cheap sub going right now. I own over 20 Pinnacle speakers, for the $ they sound fantastic. I have never owned one of their subs, but their regular speakers have great low end for their size.

Glen B
08-27-2011, 12:44 PM
I'm running a pair of Dayton Sub 120s in my HT system, which I also use for secondary 2-channel listening. I have no complaints. They are a great value in a budget priced sub.

rightaway
09-13-2011, 05:42 PM
i have a polk and bose sub. neither of them shake the floor. do any of these shake the place?

2low2rl
09-15-2011, 10:06 PM
pawn shops? lol