Star Wars coming to Bluray [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars coming to Bluray

Smokey
08-18-2011, 06:49 PM
http://cdn.screenrant.com/wp-content/uploads/starwars-saga-blu-ray-logo.jpg

Lucasfilm has finally announced that the ‘Star Wars’ Blu-rays will hit North America on September 16th, and revealed the full special feature details for ‘Star Wars: The Complete Saga.’ You can pre-order the the box set from Amazon for $90.

I'm glad I have not bought any Stars Wars on DVD before to feed the beast that is Goerge Lucas as it seems every couple of years there is new version of Stars Wars on DVD. Lets hope he does not do same thing with Bluray format.

Special Features:

STAR WARS: THE COMPLETE SAGA ON BLU-RAY is presented in widescreen with 6.1 DTS Surround Sound.

DISC ONE — STAR WARS: EPISODE I THE PHANTOM MENACE

- Audio Commentary with George Lucas, Rick McCallum, Ben Burtt, Rob Coleman, John Knoll, Dennis Muren and Scott Squires

DISC TWO — STAR WARS: EPISODE II ATTACK OF THE CLONES

- Audio Commentary with George Lucas, Rick McCallum, Ben Burtt, Rob Coleman, Pablo Helman, John Knoll and Ben Snow

DISC THREE — STAR WARS: EPISODE III REVENGE OF THE SITH

- Audio Commentary with George Lucas, Rick McCallum, Rob Coleman, John Knoll and Roger Guyett

DISC FOUR — STAR WARS: EPISODE IV A NEW HOPE
Audio Commentary with George Lucas, Carrie Fisher, Ben Burtt and Dennis Muren

DISC FIVE — STAR WARS: EPISODE V THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK

- Audio Commentary with George Lucas, Irvin Kershner, Carrie Fisher, Ben Burtt and Dennis Muren

DISC SIX — STAR WARS: EPISODE VI RETURN OF THE JEDI

- Audio Commentary with George Lucas, Carrie Fisher, Ben Burtt and Dennis Muren

DISC SEVEN — NEW! STAR WARS ARCHIVES: EPISODES I-III

- Including: deleted, extended and alternate scenes; prop, maquette and costume turnarounds; matte paintings and concept art; supplementary interviews with cast and crew; a flythrough of the Lucasfilm Archives and more

DISC EIGHT — NEW! STAR WARS ARCHIVES: EPISODES IV-VI

- Including: deleted, extended and alternate scenes; prop, maquette and costume turnarounds; matte paintings and concept art; supplementary interviews with cast and crew; and more

DISC NINE — THE STAR WARS DOCUMENTARIES

- NEW! Star Warriors (2007, Color, Apx. 84 Minutes) — Some Star Wars fans want to collect action figures…these fans want to be action figures! A tribute to the 501st Legion, a global organization of Star Wars costume enthusiasts.

-- NEW! A Conversation with the Masters: The Empire Strikes Back 30 Years Later (2010, Color, Apx. 25 Minutes) — George Lucas, Irvin Kershner, Lawrence Kasdan and John Williams look back on the making of The Empire Strikes Back in this in-depth retrospective from Lucasfilm created to help commemorate the 30th anniversary of the movie.

-- NEW! Star Wars Spoofs (2011, Color, Apx. 91 Minutes) — The farce is strong with this one! Enjoy a hilarious collection of Star Wars spoofs and parodies that have been created over the years, including outrageous clips from Family Guy, The Simpsons, How I Met Your Mother and more.

- The Making of Star Wars (1977, Color, Apx. 49 Minutes) — Learn the incredible behind-the-scenes story of how the original Star Wars movie was brought to the big screen in this fascinating documentary hosted by C-3PO and R2-D2.

-- The Empire Strikes Back: SPFX (1980, Color, Apx. 48 Minutes) — Learn the secrets of making movies in a galaxy far, far away. Hosted by Mark Hamill, this revealing documentary offers behind-the-scenes glimpses into the amazing special effects that transformed George Lucas’ vision for Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back into reality!

-- Classic Creatures: Return of the Jedi (1983, Color, Apx. 48 Minutes) — Go behind the scenes — and into the costumes — as production footage from Return of the Jedi is interspersed with vintage monster movie clips in this in-depth exploration of the painstaking techniques utilized by George Lucas to create the classic creatures and characters seen in the film.

-- Anatomy of a Dewback (1997, Color, Apx. 26 Minutes) — See how some of the special effects in Star Wars became even more special two decades later!

- Star Wars Tech (2007, Color, Apx. 46 Minutes) — Exploring the technical aspects of Star Wars vehicles, weapons and gadgetry, Star Wars Tech consults leading scientists in the fields of physics, prosthetics, lasers, engineering and astronomy to examine the plausibility of Star Wars technology based on science as we know it today.

Amazon.com: Star Wars: The Complete Saga (Episodes I-VI) [Blu-ray]: Mark Hamill, Hayden Christensen, Harrison Ford, George Lucas: Movies & TV (http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Complete-Episodes-Blu-ray/dp/B003ZSJ212/?tag=scrran-20)

recoveryone
08-19-2011, 12:38 PM
I pre-ordered mine 5 months ago :)

bizkitfan2001
08-19-2011, 06:11 PM
cant wait!

Smokey
08-19-2011, 07:47 PM
I pre-ordered mine 5 months ago :)

I can't believe almost half of reviews on Amazon for this package gave it only one star for not including the original first Star Wars movies that was released to theaters. I mean get over it!

recoveryone
08-19-2011, 08:05 PM
Ditto

RGA
08-20-2011, 11:18 AM
If the original theatrical cut is not on this version then I don't want them. Episodes 1-3 were TERRIBLE movies: As Sheldon Cooper's character noted in the Big Bang Theory "I want to be disappointed in the order George Lucas intended."

Still I have seen the crappy additions and Lucas' fetish for filling the screen with unnecessary ugly junk. He really is a bad film maker unfortunately. He doesn't get that the reason his first two theatrical released Star Wars movies were so good was because he created memorable characters and a well constructed and "simple" story. Then it began to fall apart in Return of the Jedi and was complete rubbish with the new films. Then he started applying the junk in the new films to butcher his old films.

This is the BEST review of the Phantom Menace and I shut it off half way through. It was SOOO terrible that I shut the bloody thing off. I could not stand the torture.

I would rather buy the Blu Ray of this review - it is FAR more entertaining than his episodes 1-3 combined.

Star Wars: The Phantom Menace Review (Part 1 of 7) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxKtZmQgxrI)

recoveryone
08-20-2011, 12:43 PM
If the original theatrical cut is not on this version then I don't want them. Episodes 1-3 were TERRIBLE movies: As Sheldon Cooper's character noted in the Big Bang Theory "I want to be disappointed in the order George Lucas intended."

Still I have seen the crappy additions and Lucas' fetish for filling the screen with unnecessary ugly junk. He really is a bad film maker unfortunately. He doesn't get that the reason his first two theatrical released Star Wars movies were so good was because he created memorable characters and a well constructed and "simple" story. Then it began to fall apart in Return of the Jedi and was complete rubbish with the new films. Then he started applying the junk in the new films to butcher his old films.

I guess it more of the nostaliga of the movies for me, especially the first 2. I was in high school with the first one came out and just out of College when the 2nd did. I remember seeing the first one at the drive-in and I waiting 3 hours in line to see the second one. I totally agree on the content of the last 3, but the smoke and mirrors of the special effects are always a joy to see in action. I feel it was more of a lack of talent in key roles that hurt the last 3 than the story line.

If lucas would have kept to the more dramatic type of script instead of the awful and awkward side jokes from the characters. I think he feels the formula that worked in American Graffiti workes in all movies.

RGA
08-20-2011, 07:08 PM
Star Wars and Empire were so good that I can take Return as part of the set to complete it. Return wasn't terrible - it is kind of like Temple of Doom in the Raiders series - it was the weakest of the three but had its moments (I pretend the fourth one was never made so I can sleep better at night).

Star Wars and Empire are arguably classics. And as such it is unforgivable not to provide the original release whether the film maker wants them like that or not. Provide both cuts - fine by me - but don't destroy the film - and IMO all the retouches are unnecessary and take away from the pacing and feel of the film with obvious crappy CGI.

I don't even think the three new movies look good - it looks like a video game and while I like Video games - I don't want that in a movie - I want to believe in the world. Star Wars made me believe - Empire made me believe and while they may not hold up in certain scenes overall the mood is left.

When the review in the link above has friends try to explain who characters are - Who is Han Solo - describe his character to someone who has never seen the movie (without describing what his job is, or what he/she looks like) - you can do this for virtually everyone in Star Wars and Empire and even Return - you can't do it in Phantom becvause no one is memorable, the story doesn't even make coherent sense, the effects are cartoonish.

My ratings out of 5

Star Wars ****1/2
Empire *****
Return ***

Phantom No Stars
Clones *1/2
Sith **

What's worse is that they're SOOOO BORING. I can forgive plot holes and dopey bits - but at least don't be boring especially not when you're making a sci-fi action cowboys and Indians in space kind of serial. The looks on the executives face and Lucas himself when screening Phantom (seen in the review I linked) really saysd it all - they all knew they made a piece of utter crap.

Here is my advice - buy the original X Box for $20. Buy Knights of the Old Republic 1 and 2 and play those video games - it will take 60 hours to play through the story is about a billion times better and the characters are more interesting.

Reminds me of the Halloween, Poltergeist and Jaws movies. The first ones were so good I try to forget that there are sequels to ruin their good name.

Maybe Lucas will bring out the original versions not messed up. Fortunately I have only bought Empire on Laser Disc in a non screwed up edition.

Smokey
08-20-2011, 08:10 PM
My ratings out of 5

Star Wars ****1/2
Empire *****
Return ***

Phantom No Stars
Clones *1/2
Sith **

I pretty much agree with those rating also, except I would give Clones 3 stars as it wasn't such a bad movie on its own. Phantoms was way too boring and Sith was too dramatic. But Clones had good pacing.

I saw the improve version of first three Star Wars in theaters back in '96 and really didn't think it was so bad. I thought he new improve CGI and special effects kind of update the movies as some of original effects were kind of outdated. It is like when they update the Star trek series with new speciall effects and it looked better.

RGA
08-21-2011, 08:37 AM
I take less issue with updating the effect than I do with adding dinosaur things walking in front of the camera. It's the added scenes that bug me - same with ET replacing the gun or adding a bathtub scene to show of neck pulsing. They don't add to the story - even the added bit with Jabba was a snooze - this scene was not needed - yeah we get he owes money to something called Jabba. But that scene takes the enjoyment away from the "surprise" butt ugly creature we see in Return (already a movie where it needs every surprise it can get). Seeing Jabba added to the earlier film takes up screen time that gets in the way of the pacing. That story line doesn't need to be developed in IV - they get to it in VI.

Of course Phantom is largely killed by the entire premise - There can be no tension when we no the kid is never in any danger - we know, as the audience, the future of several of the characters in the film so there is no suspense that could be generated - well not by weak directors like Lucas.

I love part four of that review when they are talking about the Robot security force and that they're "useless" and so easy to destroy and the reviewer shows a segment of Lucas saying that the robots are like butter and easy to destroy "FU" says the reviewer - made me sneeze my drink with laughter. How can you spend all that CGI on an enemy so pathetically weak and easily beatable on the back of a story where the audience is already knows the main characters survive?

I've never met George Lucas but he doesn't seem like a complete jerk. Why was everyone so terrified to tell him the basics of story writing and knowing your target audience.

Simple is better - applies to amplifiers (SET is best) and the Star Wars franchise. Part 7 of that review really points out why the first films succeeded - 1-2 regions for the audience to follow. Part 1 - just the death star. Empire had the fight with Vader and Leia on the sky city thing. Easy. Return had three and that was one too many. Phantom had 4. Sith spent half an hour on a fight scene that was mostly soulless.

I have not seen the Star Trek changes - if all they did was retouch the phaser fire and stuff like that - no big deal. If they put a bunch of CGI creatures to stand or walk in front of Spock, Kirk, and McCoy - I will be annoyed.

Attack of the Clones was still bad but my expectations were so low. Maybe that same reviewer was right and Attack was WORSE - he thinks so. (Part 1 of 9) Star Wars Episode 2: Attack of the Clones Review - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfBhi6qqFLA&feature=related)

Worf101
08-23-2011, 04:54 AM

This is the BEST review of the Phantom Menace and I shut it off half way through. It was SOOO terrible that I shut the bloody thing off. I could not stand the torture.

I would rather buy the Blu Ray of this review - it is FAR more entertaining than his episodes 1-3 combined.

Star Wars: The Phantom Menace Review (Part 1 of 7) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxKtZmQgxrI)

Thanks to you I lost an entire afternoon of work watching this fool's reviews of Phantom and Clone Wars. Absolutely hilarious. I personally will NOT be buying any of this this stuff. Mebbe the first three if they're sold uncut and commericial free, other than that... pheh.. It was interesting watching people refuse to tell the Emperor he had no clothes, while Lucas took the S.W. franchise from iconic to vomit in one fell swoop. Amazing. All effects and no story... what a maroon.

Worf

RGA
08-23-2011, 11:44 AM
Yeah - the reviews were each about as long as the movies - and honestly I have watched those reviews a few times - I am dead serious - I would PAY to buy a DVD/Blu-Ray of the bloody (literally in some cases) review than I would for the movies.

I love the guy's voice - he has a terrific serial killer tone and reminds me of the old Garfield apathetic sarcastic tone.

You should watch his Avatar and Star Trek reviews.

Generations - he says it's the stupidest movie ever made. And he opens with that - LOL. Star Trek: Generations Review - Part 1 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h06WKYFYdlo&feature=related)

Woochifer
08-23-2011, 03:01 PM
So, Smoke are you gonna buy the Blu-ray player to go with this set? :cool:

Don't think I'm going to pull the trigger on this. The extras are intriguing, especially the long-awaited deleted scenes from the original trilogy. But, I'm not interested in paying for all six movies when I'm just interested in the first three.

They're also releasing the two trilogies separately, but without any of the archives discs or documentaries. The archives disc would be one of the main reasons for buying it, but I'll wait and see before jumping on this one. The Star Wars DVD fiasco with the music flipped in the surround channels was an inexcusable QC lapse, and Lucasfilm never offered a fix or exchange program.

Star Wars and Empire are arguably classics. And as such it is unforgivable not to provide the original release whether the film maker wants them like that or not. Provide both cuts - fine by me - but don't destroy the film - and IMO all the retouches are unnecessary and take away from the pacing and feel of the film with obvious crappy CGI.

I think Lucas was okay to revisit the original trilogy with the 1997 rerelease. Some fixes here and there, and restoration of the negatives and soundtracks. I didn't have any problems with that, especially given that there were indeed botched effects shots in the first movie especially.

Where things went off the rails was when Lucas decided to make editorial content changes to the movies themselves to make everything fit together as a six-part saga -- e.g., reshooting the Emperor scene in Empire, Han fires first, reshooting the end sequence of Jedi with young Anakin, etc.

Aside from flipping the music in the surround channels, they also kept tweaking with the soundtrack to a point that it sounded worse.

The original theatrical versions were never going to make it onto Blu-ray, since Lucas is not going to pay for restoration of the original theatrical prints. They already paid for restoration and corrected the numerous flaws when the Special Editions came out. Lucasfilm did issue a new Star Wars DVD set that contained the original theatrical versions. But, the picture quality on the master is horrible, and would look even worse in Blu-ray.

RGA
08-24-2011, 07:56 PM
The problem with buying discs for bonus features is that you really don;t need Blu-Ray quality to watch those documentary features. If you can buy the basic version of the film - find a "different' outlet to get the bonus features cause chances are once you've watch it once you won't likely watch them again.

I know people say they do - but if you have a 3000 disc movie collection I want to meet the person who has time to watch the movie, watch the director commentary, AND the bonus features. Unless it is absolutely exceptional and mostly they never are.

And the problem is that people keep buying these crappy versions just support Lucas' ego so he keeps putting out trash.

Generally I try never to buy any of these discs right off. I like to wait awhile because they screwed up the Back to the Future set as well.

The other problems with SETS is that they always include a weak movie - because rarely are sequels any good. The original Star Wars movies are somewhat of an exception in that Empire IMO and in many people's opinion was far and away the best film of the series. Return couldn't compete and so I try not to compare it anymore - I compare it more to the first one.

But I hate these forced choices that people like Lucas make people make. Oh you want this documentary or out take then you have to buy the much more expensive 6 movie edition and basically get three discs you'll never watch again. I would be embarrassed if my friends saw that on my shelf - "You liked that crap" - no I paid the extra $50 or whatever for a 5 minute documentary of self congratulation and self service ego stroking. And I'm thinking the only one I can really rewatch was Empire and Lucas didn't direct it - thank heaven.

I do agree with your take on the effects. Again I have less problem with touch ups or making the print look better or fixing up laser effects. Sure touch it up all you want - after all the reason you buy Blu-Ray is for better picture quality so if they can fix up or modernize a visual effect then that's okay (so long as it's not crappy ass CGI - unless it was CGI originally.

For example - the 1982 The Thing or American Werewolf in London - I don't want them to take all the effects out and put in CGI - I saw American Werewolf in Paris (all CGI) and it was truly abysmal. I guess I want them to be extremely careful as to what they're doing.

And yes I could not recall the specific examples - changing who fired first in the Bar - Han Solo and changing the guy's face and all those dopey things. Can you get the versions without all that crap? If not then it's not the Movies I saw and loved in the theaters when I was a kid - they've been destroyed. I'll have to find a laser disc player.

It's a shame - technical superiority of Blu Ray blows LD away but I'd rather watch the LD version - gee isn't this the same debater over on the ....oh waaaaiiit. :p

Woochifer
08-24-2011, 10:31 PM
The problem with buying discs for bonus features is that you really don;t need Blu-Ray quality to watch those documentary features. If you can buy the basic version of the film - find a "different' outlet to get the bonus features cause chances are once you've watch it once you won't likely watch them again.

But, need is not the point. Collectors have long proven that they will pay for well documented sets with the bonus features. I'm not buying something just for the bonus features, but their inclusion is definitely a factor in deciding whether to make the purchase.

You're coming at it from the mindset of someone who just watches the movie, and is okay with illegal downloads.

I know people say they do - but if you have a 3000 disc movie collection I want to meet the person who has time to watch the movie, watch the director commentary, AND the bonus features. Unless it is absolutely exceptional and mostly they never are.

Doesn't matter if it's exception. I've actually done this with quite a few of my movies. I'm interested in the screenwriting, acting, and technical aspects of filmmaking. Sometimes, the backstory of a movie is every bit as interesting as the movie itself. And for fans of a particular movie, they just want to dig a little further.

And the problem is that people keep buying these crappy versions just support Lucas' ego so he keeps putting out trash.

Look Star Wars is Star Wars. It's one of the most beloved movie sagas of all time, and it has spawned an entire industry that goes way beyond the movies (audio dramas, books, comics, etc.). I'm a huge fan of the original trilogy, so I want the Blu-ray. But, I'm also feeling the sting from the QC lapses and overdone tinkering that went into the first DVD release.

The problem is that if anyone wants the best picture and sound quality for Star Wars, Blu-ray is the way to go. I've watched the Star Wars movies in HD on Spike TV, and even on compressed satellite TV, the HD masters look quite good.

Generally I try never to buy any of these discs right off. I like to wait awhile because they screwed up the Back to the Future set as well.

Difference is that after finding out about the framing issue with the BTTF DVDs, Universal immediately set up a trade-in program for anyone who wants the corrected versions. The Star Wars screw-up was one of the worst that I've seen.

The other problems with SETS is that they always include a weak movie - because rarely are sequels any good. The original Star Wars movies are somewhat of an exception in that Empire IMO and in many people's opinion was far and away the best film of the series. Return couldn't compete and so I try not to compare it anymore - I compare it more to the first one.

But, the cost of these sets is often much less when you average out the costs per disc. For example, Amazon's selling the original trilogy on Blu-ray for $40. That works out to just over $13 per movie.

I don't agree with the assessment that Empire is "far and away the best film of the series." IMO that's a revisionist view that has taken hold now that the trilogy's complete. At the time that Empire came out, the contemporary reviews were filled with disclaimers, basically saying that it was a good movie but incomplete with no real beginning and no real ending. Even now, any assessment of Empire has to be done in relation to the first and third installments. Unlike a lot of other well-regarded sequels that can stand alone (e.g., Mad Max 2 - The Road Warrior, and The Godfather, Part 2), you really can't watch Empire without having seen Star Wars first.

But I hate these forced choices that people like Lucas make people make. Oh you want this documentary or out take then you have to buy the much more expensive 6 movie edition and basically get three discs you'll never watch again. I would be embarrassed if my friends saw that on my shelf - "You liked that crap" - no I paid the extra $50 or whatever for a 5 minute documentary of self congratulation and self service ego stroking. And I'm thinking the only one I can really rewatch was Empire and Lucas didn't direct it - thank heaven.

But, in this case, the deleted scenes are actually a holy grail treasure trove for long-time Star Wars fans, since bits and pieces of these scenes have been included in various comics, audio dramas, and novelizations. Bootlegs of some scenes have circulated around the internet for years, but this is the first time that they've all been collected in one place, along with a commentary track.

I view this in the same light as the inclusion of the "love conquers all" edit in Criterion's release of Brazil. (That's another movie where the backstory is almost as fascinating as the movie itself) Something that fans of the movie had talked about for years, but few had ever actually seen.

If the archives disc had been included with the original trilogy BD set, it would be a no-brainer purchase for me. But, its exclusion gives pause, because I can live with one or two movies I don't like in a BD/DVD set. But, not an entire trilogy. Oh well, it's Lucasfilm's loss in this case. I'll wait for used copies to start showing up, or split up sets to go on eBay where I can buy just the archives disc by itself.

I do agree with your take on the effects. Again I have less problem with touch ups or making the print look better or fixing up laser effects. Sure touch it up all you want - after all the reason you buy Blu-Ray is for better picture quality so if they can fix up or modernize a visual effect then that's okay (so long as it's not crappy ass CGI - unless it was CGI originally.

For example - the 1982 The Thing or American Werewolf in London - I don't want them to take all the effects out and put in CGI - I saw American Werewolf in Paris (all CGI) and it was truly abysmal. I guess I want them to be extremely careful as to what they're doing.

And yes I could not recall the specific examples - changing who fired first in the Bar - Han Solo and changing the guy's face and all those dopey things. Can you get the versions without all that crap? If not then it's not the Movies I saw and loved in the theaters when I was a kid - they've been destroyed. I'll have to find a laser disc player.

It's a shame - technical superiority of Blu Ray blows LD away but I'd rather watch the LD version - gee isn't this the same debater over on the ....oh waaaaiiit. :p

Like I said, I don't take issue with the new digital effects. They were not overdone, and it's not like they converted the entire canon of visual effect shots to CGI.

When was the last time you actually saw the theatrical version of Star Wars? Comparing the Special Edition Star Wars with the theatrical version, I actually think Lucasfilm made most of the correct decisions in which shots to redo.

The problem with the DVD release is that Lucasfilm actually should have left the 1997 Special Edition trilogy alone. Among a lot of collectors, the Star Wars Special Edition LD is the definitive version, because it features the cleaned up picture quality, with a 5.1 soundtrack free from surround channel errors and overcooked sound effects. And Han fires first!

RGA
08-25-2011, 11:19 AM
This is what I want - A set of the original Star Wars movies. The original theatrical cut even if the picture quality is so-so. This is the historical film and what we all saw in the theater. Then the newer super charged fixed up director's cut of the re-release that I also saw in the theaters. And all the documentaries extras that the fanboys love. I get that big fans want all that stuff.

I am sick and tired of releases that have some but not all of these things - so we get several versions all missing something - Terminator 2 I believe had a bunch of versions and they'd keep bringing out a new better definitive version. But if the public keeps buying crappy or incomplete versions they'll keep pumping out because enough people seem to like pissing money away so if they can get you to buy 4 versions of the same movie they get 4 sales. And unfortunately because enough people piss their money away on it - it forces the rest of us to either choose one of them and suffer or not buy any of them.

Fortunately I have seen Star Wars, Empire and Return enough times that I could go the rest of my life without seeing them again - but I get that some people like to watch revisit them. For me they were not "that good."

I don't agree with your point about revisionist - everything is revisionist. I may like a movie when it comes out and not like it 20 years later or vice versa. Most critics and virtually everyone I talk to likes Empire the best. And incidentally - Empire was the first movie we saw. We went back to see the Original Star Wars at a drive in based on the strength of Empire.

I agree that you need to see the first and third to complete the story but I can re watch just Empire Strikes back - I can rewatch Star Wars but it's not as strong - and Return just makes me become cynical that Lucas was out to sell Ewok dolls and toys.

I don't think it's a strike against Empire because it needs the bookends. It is still the best movie of the three by a fair bit. That is even MORE a testament to how good Empire was - it was the best movie of the franchise in SPITE of it not having a real beginning or end. Roger Ebert The Empire Strikes Back :: rogerebert.com :: Reviews (http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/19970221/REVIEWS/702210302/1023)