Advise Please [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Advise Please

boakia
04-14-2004, 11:14 AM
My neighbor was given a HT system in a box w/sub. He has a yamaha a/v receiver 6.1. I hooked it up for him as I've done many in the past including my own. This system however has no built-in amp for the subwoofer! The instructions show to run the front mains into the hi out of the sub and the hi in of the sub to the mains of the receiver. It works except there is not much sound coming from the sub. Is there another way to run this sub? Or should I keep trying to adjust the speaker levels? Please Help. Thank You.

N. Abstentia
04-14-2004, 01:48 PM
Since there is no seperate power source for the sub, you won't get much. The sub is having to share power among all the speakers, but the sub WANTS to have 3-4 times more power than the others. A powered sub is the only fix, if his receiver has a sub output.

Studio B
04-14-2004, 06:49 PM
My neighbor was given a HT system in a box w/sub. He has a yamaha a/v receiver 6.1. I hooked it up for him as I've done many in the past including my own. This system however has no built-in amp for the subwoofer! The instructions show to run the front mains into the hi out of the sub and the hi in of the sub to the mains of the receiver. It works except there is not much sound coming from the sub. Is there another way to run this sub? Or should I keep trying to adjust the speaker levels? Please Help. Thank You.

Also try placing the sub closer to the wall. You really should try an amplified sub. As you probably already know, many subs have speaker level inputs and outputs.

uncooked
04-14-2004, 06:51 PM
i have a buddy with a box set, and his sub doesnt even work, it just blows air. so i think what you are experiencing is somewhat normal.

wasch_24
04-15-2004, 09:43 AM
Also check and see if you can set the receiver to send the bass out to the fronts/mains. On the RX-V1400 I have three choices for the LFE: Front-Sub-Both.

Woochifer
04-15-2004, 10:26 AM

If you're using a non-powered sub, then you need to send all of the bass through main speaker outputs. That means setting the main speakers to LARGE, and the center and surround speakers to SMALL. You also need to select MAIN for the bass/LFE output -- DO NOT select SWFR as the bass output because in that setting the bass will go nowhere unless you connect a powered sub. The Yamahas automatically redirect all of the bass through the main speaker outputs when setup this way. The subwoofer's crossover will handle the rest. You just need to make sure that the crossover frequency is set about where the bass on the mains starts to trail off.