Grado Sonata 1 Low Output [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Grado Sonata 1 Low Output

JohnMichael
08-16-2011, 06:27 AM
I have enjoyed the Grado sound in the past and I am thinking abot the Grado Sonata. I was wondering if anyone had heard this cartridge or had any real experience with one.

I currently own two moving coil cartridges from Benz and AT along with an Ortofon OM20 and a Grado Red. I like the Grado Red but the highs are not what I would like. I have read where the fixed stylus/wood body Grados are a step or two above the other plastic bodied Grados. Since I switched to the Michell Technoweight Grados track well in the RB250 tonearm. Just thinking at this point.

I am going to send the Benz to Soundsmith for the ruby cantilever and line contact diamond upgrade.

02audionoob
08-16-2011, 03:07 PM
I can see how the Sonata would be a good consideration. Someday I figure I'll get one of those. I have too many cartridges at the moment, but I might start trying to sell them.

frenchmon
08-16-2011, 03:10 PM
I've always been interested but have heard they have problems with hums....

02audionoob
08-16-2011, 03:12 PM
When I bought my MMF-5 (as a demo from a dealer) they had put a Grado Red on it. It was the loudest hum of any component that I've ever experienced in my system.

frenchmon
08-16-2011, 03:22 PM
When I bought my MMF-5 (as a demo from a dealer) they had put a Grado Red on it. It was the loudest hum of any component that I've ever experienced in my system.

Did you have a metal platter?

02audionoob
08-16-2011, 03:24 PM
Did you have a metal platter?

It was a glass platter. The metal platters aren't what makes the Grado cartridges hum on these turntables - it's the motor...120V motors, especially.

frenchmon
08-16-2011, 03:32 PM
So by the 7.1 having the motor where it is....I may be ok with a Grado? I suppose I will. I did read a review with a guy who had a Grado Sonata on his 7.1 but he did not like the cart on his table. he never mentioned a hum...only he said it was not what he wanted. The review is on the Needle Doctor web site.

02audionoob
08-16-2011, 03:46 PM
I would imagine you will not have a problem of any great significance. The position of the motor on the MMF-5 and similar models is indeed a little unfortunate, since the cartridge gets closer and closer to the motor while the record plays. I would think the MMF-7.1's motor location does help.

Also, the MMF-5 was straight 120V with no wall wart. I think the low-voltage wall wart dramatically reduces the field around the motor. Your odds of a problem are probably quite low. AK member Puma Cat said a Sonata hummed on his Rega P5, which does use a low voltage motor (not 120V). But I don't know if it was this issue with AC motors or if he had a ground loop issue.

JohnMichael
08-16-2011, 03:47 PM
Grados have a low hum on Rega tables but it is slight and the music easily masks it.

I always loved what Grado cartridges can do for the female voice.

frenchmon
08-17-2011, 10:38 AM
Now that I have done a little research on the Sonata .... JohnMichael, I am now in the Vally of decision concerning a Cart. I was all set for the 2M Balck when the time comes, but now the Grado Reference Sonata 1 has entered the picture. It seem there is a sophistication with that cart...for what reasons I still dont know. They seem to have a large following.

JohnMichael
08-17-2011, 10:54 AM
Now that I have done a little research on the Sonata .... JohnMichael, I am now in the Vally of decision concerning a Cart. I was all set for the 2M Balck when the time comes, but now the Grado Reference Sonata 1 has entered the picture. It seem there is a sophistication with that cart...for what reasons I still dont know. They seem to have a large following.

I want the low output version for use with the Graham Slee Fanfare phono preamp. I am in the mood for lush and romantic and if the mood changes I still will have the Ortofon OM20, AT F7 and the Benz Gold. I will say this will be the most I have ever spent on a phono cartridge. Back in the days when I bought my first marble based Kenwood they would throw in a Shure M91ED for a penny. I also do not want to spend a large amount of money on something I might easily break. No $15,000 cartridges for me and I do not have the level of equipment to justify one at that price.

I do get a kick out of one manufacturer who makes a cartridge for almost $1,000 and is has a conical stylus. To me that is insane when you can buy a $100 Ortofon with an elliptical stylus.

frenchmon
08-17-2011, 12:53 PM
Did you get my PM?

JohnMichael
08-17-2011, 05:39 PM
Did you get my PM?

I did read it after I read this post.

JohnMichael
08-18-2011, 11:41 AM
The Sonata is on it's way. This will be my first wood bodied cartridge. This will be my first Grado without an interchangeable stylus. Rega, Clearaudio, Bang&Olufsen and Soundsmith all build IM or MM cartridges with fixed styli. It has been years since I have used my B&O RX2 so I have no memory as to the sound of the cartridge. This will be my first low output fixed coil cartridge. As an audio/analog geek I am quite excited.

frenchmon
08-18-2011, 02:29 PM
Well this audio/analog geek is very interested in your opinion of that cart....I think I've narrowed it down to the Sonata and the 2M Black. I've seen review describing the Black as being lush and romantic as well. If I can get a deal from my dealer who carries both carts, I may purchase one and then some time later purchase the other. Man I have to purchase a phono amp, speed box, and lastly maybe new speakers as well as the cart(s) and then I am done for a while.

JohnMichael
08-18-2011, 04:28 PM
The Grado arrives Monday. I am on vacation until Wednesday so I will have two days to install it and enjoy first listen.

02audionoob
08-18-2011, 04:36 PM
I'll be looking forward to your thoughts on it. I have considered one in recent times.

JohnMichael
08-20-2011, 06:19 AM
According to USPS tracking the Grado will be delivered today.

frenchmon
08-20-2011, 07:48 AM
According to USPS tracking the Grado will be delivered today.

Great...but then I guess you will have break in time.

JohnMichael
08-21-2011, 06:06 AM
The Sonata is here and mounted. I was a little nervous installing a cartridge without a replaceable stylus. Since this was the most I had spent on a cartridge I did not want to trash the cantilever. I had paid under $300 for the AT F7 and The Benz MC Gold. The Gold I sent in a trade and received a good discount.

The Grado Sonata is the largest cartridge in my collection. The wood body weighs more than the others so I used the larger weight of the Michell Technoweight. Even though the body had tapped screw holes, so you did not have to bother with nuts, it was not too easy to mount. When I would tighten a screw it would move in the cartridge slots of the tonearm and throw it out of alignment. Settled on snugging the cartridge and then carefully twisting it to correct alignment.

I set the tracking force at the recommended 1.5 grams. Tracks beautifully and better than the AT F7 which is the most recent cartridge mounted. No sounds of mistracking or distortion at the end of a record. Of course they have all been mounted in the same way using the MoFi Geodisc and a Shure stylus force guage. Anti skate was also set at 1.5. I am currently using the 2mm to set the VTA. I may remove it and listen to the cartridge but it sounds good now so I may leave well enough alone.

Initial impressions are of the cartridge being a refined version of the plastic bodied Grados. Female vocals are incredible. So much so that I have not listened to any male vocalists yet. The AT F7 had a layered soundstage but the layers were cardboard cut-outs caompared to the body the Sonata brings to instruments and singers. If the cartridge gets better as it is broken in great but right now with the limited time and number of records I am pleased. You could listen to this cartridge for hours on end without fatigue.

frenchmon
08-21-2011, 08:39 AM
Great JM...keep us posted!

JohnMichael
08-21-2011, 10:35 AM
I have to say that the AntiCables reveal more readily the differences in components. The AT F7 I liked and still like but the AQ cables gave an extra bit of warmth to the sound. The midrange is much more fleshed out with the Grado and I know it is the cartridge and not some artifact of the cables. I am anxious to hear some Rage Against the Machine through the Sonata.

JohnMichael
08-21-2011, 04:31 PM
I do not think I have mentioned the hum issue with Grados in a Rega. I do not have it. I think the metal machined subplatter is shielding the cartridge from the motor. Grados are not shielded like other cartridges so apt to hum when close to the motor.

frenchmon
08-21-2011, 05:35 PM
Well that's great you don't have a hum...nice to hear that....and happy for you JM, that you are really enjoying your rig. This hobby really bestows personal happiness.

.I went to YouTube and listened to RATM...sad to say JM....I couldn't hang! Sorry. For some reason, I don't have the patience for the newer rock bands, but I'm all over the classic rock from my youth.

I'm sitting hear listening to some Thelonious Monk now...The mmf-7.1 and the nice subtle sweet sound of the Vincent is just a pleasant sound...and that's all with a cheap $99 2M Red. The Sonata 1 im sure would set it off nicely.

JohnMichael
08-21-2011, 06:05 PM
Well that's great you don't have a hum...nice to hear that....and happy for you JM, that you are really enjoying your rig. This hobby really bestows personal happiness.

.I went to YouTube and listened to RATM...sad to say JM....I couldn't hang! Sorry. For some reason, I don't have the patience for the newer rock bands, but I'm all over the classic rock from my youth.

I'm sitting hear listening to some Thelonious Monk now...The mmf-7.1 and the nice subtle sweet sound of the Vincent is just a pleasant sound...and that's all with a cheap $99 2M Red. The Sonata 1 im sure would set it off nicely.

RATM along with Disturbed, Godsmack and several others were good for me at a time I was very angry and raging. Still sounding good tonight but I am in a different place.

JohnMichael
08-21-2011, 06:45 PM
One of the great aspects of this cartridge is the center fill. I have heard some carts that the imaging would not be as solid in the center. The Grado Sonata is solid the full width of the soundstage. Oh and Rage is sounding awesome. I keep hearing things I have not heard before and everything makes more musical sense. Very nice. I need to buy the Sonata some more vinyl.

02audionoob
08-21-2011, 07:53 PM
This thread is certainly moving the Sonata higher on my list. It also makes me wonder about a Grado Signature TLZ on my local Craigslist. The seller says it has been sitting unused since new, which I assume is 10 years or so.

frenchmon
08-22-2011, 06:57 AM
I would consider Ortofon carts detailed and lively...some say they are passionless carts...which I have not found the case with the 2M Red. I'm sure the Sonata is very much romantic but would you say its lively like a Ortofon?

JohnMichael
08-22-2011, 08:41 AM
I would consider Ortofon carts detailed and lively...some say they are passionless carts...which I have not found the case with the 2M Red. I'm sure the Sonata is very much romantic but would you say its lively like a Ortofon?

The Grado Sonata does passion and instrumental colors much better. Of course this is in comparison with the OM20. While I would consider the OM20 analytical I often thought of it as cold. The Statement Sonata bests any of my cartridges. At first I though the Grado sounded slow but then realized the timing of the music was more accurate. The way complex music is intertwined with counter melodies the Sonata presents it all as it should be. Nothing gets confused or bunched together.

JohnMichael
08-23-2011, 10:19 AM
The Grado tracked perfectly through the earthquake.

JohnMichael
08-23-2011, 11:18 AM
For grins I pulled out the CA 640P phono pre to see how it might work with the Grado. Just like the AT F7 there was volume but no dynamics. The Slee Fanfare 3 is a better match. The Statement Sonata needs a sensitive phono stage to sound it's best.

I thought since the Grado output is greater than the AT F7's rated output it would be useable with all my phono preamps but that is not the case. I know output of a cartridge can vary depending on the grooves modulations. I am just surprised I need to turn the volume up more with the Grado than with the AT F7 with their outputs going to the Fanfare 3.

The highs are opening up more then past Grados' in my experience. Good recordings are obviously wonderful but nothing I have listened to has been bad. It seems the Grado can show off the good and flatter the less than perfect. I need that is a camera.

I may one day power up the cd player again.

Jack in Wilmington
08-23-2011, 01:41 PM
The Grado tracked perfectly through the earthquake.

I had just finished listening to Who's Next on vinyl and had swiched over to my CD player for some vintage Cream when I felt my chair shaking. I looked at the lamp and it has one of those leaded glass shades on it and it was just vibrating. I thought the washing machine had gone out of balance or something.

frenchmon
08-23-2011, 01:46 PM
The Grado Sonata does passion and instrumental colors much better. Of course this is in comparison with the OM20. While I would consider the OM20 analytical I often thought of it as cold. The Statement Sonata bests any of my cartridges. At first I though the Grado sounded slow but then realized the timing of the music was more accurate. The way complex music is intertwined with counter melodies the Sonata presents it all as it should be. Nothing gets confused or bunched together.

Boy...thats some cart!

JohnMichael
08-24-2011, 10:40 AM
The Grado is one of the more interesting cartridges I have owned. I am curious if the cartridge has settled in or will it continue to change? The cartridge is sounding more neutral than I have ever heard from a Grado. The bass is strong and detailed. The midrange is beautiful. I love how piano and acoustic guitar sounds through the Grado. The high frequencies are detailed and not what I have heard from less expensive Grados.

I am waiting on the extended nut for the Rega tonarm. The only advantage of using one that I can think of is with the 2mm spacer I use with the Grado that central collar will better center the arm in the mounting hole. The collar extends up from the nut into the plinth and around the center pillar of the tonearm bass. I will recheck my overhang and offset after instalation.

My next purchase is an electronic stylus force gauge. My Shure is not as accurate as I would like. Since the Michell Technoweight locks to the end stub it is not easy to tweak the tracking force. The Shure will sometimes give me different readings at different times even though nothing has changed.

First day back from vacation and I am looking forward to being home and playing some vinyl.

frenchmon
08-25-2011, 05:24 AM
Your experience is why I love this hobby. Its just really fun.

Jack in Wilmington
08-25-2011, 05:48 AM
Your experience is why I love this hobby. Its just really fun.

Hey Frenchie, I'm sort of having a brain cramp here. What are you using as a phono pre on the 7.1? I have been following JM's journey with his new Grado cartridge and it got me thinking about a new cart, as it has for you also. Now I'm wondering if my phono pre can handle a low output cart.

frenchmon
08-25-2011, 06:17 AM
Hey Frenchie, I'm sort of having a brain cramp here. What are you using as a phono pre on the 7.1? I have been following JM's journey with his new Grado cartridge and it got me thinking about a new cart, as it has for you also. Now I'm wondering if my phono pre can handle a low output cart.

Well right now I dont have a dedicated phono pre. And the SA-T1 does not have a phono stage. So I run the 7.1 into the Rotel preamp which has a mc/mm phono stage and then out into the SA-T1.

But the wonderful thing about Grado carts, is they make the exact same cart for MC and MM. So JM has the Grado Statement Sonata1 Wood Body Phono Cartridge which is MC...and you would need the Grado Reference Sonata1 Wood Body Phono Cartridge for MM.

Check out the link.

Grado Sonata1 Wood Body Phono Cartridge -specially selected species of mahogany; an intricate procedure of curing is done between production steps to achieve optimal sonic quality. (http://www.needledoctor.com/Grado-Sonata1-Wood-Body-Phono-Cartridge_2?sc=7&category=925)

Jack in Wilmington
08-25-2011, 07:56 AM
Well right now I dont have a dedicated phono pre. And the SA-T1 does not have a phono stage. So I run the 7.1 into the Rotel preamp which has a mc/mm phono stage and then out into the SA-T1.

But the wonderful thing about Grado carts, is they make the exact same cart for MC and MM. So JM has the Grado Statement Sonata1 Wood Body Phono Cartridge which is MC...and you would need the Grado Reference Sonata1 Wood Body Phono Cartridge for MM.

Check out the link.

Grado Sonata1 Wood Body Phono Cartridge -specially selected species of mahogany; an intricate procedure of curing is done between production steps to achieve optimal sonic quality. (http://www.needledoctor.com/Grado-Sonata1-Wood-Body-Phono-Cartridge_2?sc=7&category=925)

I guess I was just a little confused because of the low output cart. that JM got and if I got one would my phono pre be able to handle it. I sent Pro-ject an E-mail to see what there opinion was but have yet to hear from them.

02audionoob
08-25-2011, 03:48 PM
I guess I was just a little confused because of the low output cart. that JM got and if I got one would my phono pre be able to handle it. I sent Pro-ject an E-mail to see what there opinion was but have yet to hear from them.

The Pro-Ject Phono Box SEII has an MC setting with 60 dB gain. That should match up well with the low-output Grado's output of 0.5 mV. However, the Grado specs say input impedance of 47k is recommended. The Phono Box SEII's impedance on the MC input goes up to only 220 Ohm.

Grado Labs | Sonata1 & Platinum1 (http://gradolabs.com/page_cartridges.php?item=c1b8ce53ee3d507e8f442cd4a 342a670)

Pro-Ject Audio Systems (http://project-audio.com/main.php?tech=phonoboxse&cat=boxes&lang=en)

JohnMichael
08-25-2011, 05:02 PM
The Pro-Ject Phono Box SEII has an MC setting with 60 dB gain. That should match up well with the low-output Grado's output of 0.5 mV. However, the Grado specs say input impedance of 47k is recommended. The Phono Box SEII's impedance on the MC input goes up to only 220 Ohm.

Grado Labs | Sonata1 & Platinum1 (http://gradolabs.com/page_cartridges.php?item=c1b8ce53ee3d507e8f442cd4a 342a670)

Pro-Ject Audio Systems (http://project-audio.com/main.php?tech=phonoboxse&cat=boxes&lang=en)

The Graham Slee Fanfare is only 470 ohms.

02audionoob
08-25-2011, 05:10 PM
The Graham Slee Fanfare is only 470 ohms.

This is good to know. So that spec of 47k is apparently very non-critical.

JohnMichael
08-25-2011, 05:15 PM

Could you not select 47K and then press the button for MC?

02audionoob
08-25-2011, 05:28 PM
Could you not select 47K and then press the button for MC?

I think pushing the button for MC will rule out the option for 47k. Here's the page from the manual.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6198/6081526968_ac438673c6_z.jpg

JohnMichael
08-25-2011, 05:39 PM
I think pushing the button for MC will rule out the option for 47k. Here's the page from the manual.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6198/6081526968_ac438673c6_z.jpg

Keep in mind the Grado is a fixed coil cartridge so it is a low output MM type cartridge. Or as Grado refers to it as a flux bridger. Others may call it an induced magnet cartridge because the magnet is also fixed. Of course the term moving iron also applies.

Jack in Wilmington
08-25-2011, 05:43 PM
I've been in contact with a fellow (Jamie) at Sumiko. He said I would have better results with a high output MC cart. He recommended leaving the switch in MM (40 db gain). He said that the MC setting (60 db gain) would probably overload the input and sound awful. Now the funny part. While I've been researching this the two carts that I was interested in on Audiogon, a Zu Audio Zu/DL-103 and a Sumiko Blue Point Special have both gone to "sale pending" oh well back to the drawing board.

02audionoob
08-25-2011, 05:50 PM
I would agree that a high output MC cartridge (like 2 mV) would be too much output for the MC input's 60 dB gain. But 60 dB would be a good match for a low output cartridge with around 0.5 mV output, like the Grado. The key issue with the Grado would then be its recommended load. If the spec of "2" for its own resistance is correct, I can see why it wouldn't truly need the 47k listed. It seems like it could work with almost any MC setting on the SE II.

I'll have to poke around the interwebs and see what others have done.

JohnMichael
08-26-2011, 08:10 AM
Oh damn you Grado. I have only been listening to vinyl but today while preparing for work I turned the cd player back on. I wanted to hear some music I only had on cd. Yikes not the sound of vinyl. I hope it was due to the cd player not having been used since the arrival of the Sonata. I left the cd player on to warm up during the day. I am hoping it will sound better and if not time to covert my cd's to vinyl.

frenchmon
08-26-2011, 05:02 PM
Oh damn you Grado. I have only been listening to vinyl but today while preparing for work I turned the cd player back on. I wanted to hear some music I only had on cd. Yikes not the sound of vinyl. I hope it was due to the cd player not having been used since the arrival of the Sonata. I left the cd player on to warm up during the day. I am hoping it will sound better and if not time to covert my cd's to vinyl.

WOW!!! Keep me posted on this...and after you've listen can you kindly give us a small detail perspective on the difference in vinyl play back versus CD play back.

to me vinyl is more cohesive...fluid like in its presentation. with a more natural sound......

tube fan
08-26-2011, 06:55 PM
I've heard a great sounding Grado for $600. It was a moving iron. I bought a Benz MC 3 long ago and have stuck (very happily) with Benz cartridges ever since. I'm currently using a Benz Ruby 3. However, aside from the London moving iron cartridge (in a league of its own), Grado is making the best non-mc cartridges that I have heard.

02audionoob
08-26-2011, 07:59 PM
There's Grado Signature TLZ, unused, listed on Craigslist here. Anyone have any thoughts on that one?

JohnMichael
08-27-2011, 09:25 AM
I've heard a great sounding Grado for $600. It was a moving iron. I bought a Benz MC 3 long ago and have stuck (very happily) with Benz cartridges ever since. I'm currently using a Benz Ruby 3. However, aside from the London moving iron cartridge (in a league of its own), Grado is making the best non-mc cartridges that I have heard.

I have the Benz MC Gold but of course it is not a Swiss made Benz. I am planning on sending it to Soundsmith for a stylus upgrade. One day I may step up the Benz line. As much as I am enjoying the Statement Sonata it will not be soon. Oh well my watch is Swiss.

I have been very pleased with the Grado. At first it was typically warm but then it opened up in the highs and now we are entering into a more coherent sound with a touch of sweetness. Certainly not syrupy with a loss of details but very engaging.

I would have to say that what I have heard so far makes this $600 cartridge a bargain. When I upgrade tables to something superior I may upgrade cartridges. Now I think the Grado is a good fit for my current analog set-up.

JohnMichael
08-27-2011, 09:36 AM
There's Grado Signature TLZ, unused, listed on Craigslist here. Anyone have any thoughts on that one?

I have never heard that cartridge. I think that is one from the plastic body days with a removable stylus. Grado claims improved sound with the fixed nonreplaceable stylus of their wooden body cartridges. A reduction in resonance is one of the claims.

JohnMichael
08-28-2011, 11:21 AM
The Grado continues to please. I am glad I stopped being such a cheap ass about cartridges and bought the Sonata. One thing I should mention is that I never thought Grado's tracked well in a Rega tonearm. Since switching to the Michell Technoweight which is a lowered counterweight the Grado's track very well. Actually I think every cartridge tracks better and with lower surface noise.

I did switch to the heavier weight supplied with the Technoweight. The Sonata's weight is 7g and the small weight is used for cartridges weighing upto 6g and of course the large is for cartridges weighing more than 6g.

JohnMichael
09-01-2011, 06:29 PM
My day off and at 10 PM finally have time to spin some vinyl. Enjoying the piano, brushed cymbals and acoustic bass of the jazz music. The Sonata has transported me to a smokey jazz club. Damn this is some good chit.

frenchmon
09-02-2011, 09:53 AM
My day off and at 10 PM finally have time to spin some vinyl. Enjoying the piano, brushed cymbals and acoustic bass of the jazz music. The Sonata has transported me to a smokey jazz club. Damn this is some good chit.

Dang Boyeee! Now ya talking!...(I assume you are talking about the music being good chit?)

JohnMichael
09-02-2011, 11:35 AM
Dang Boyeee! Now ya talking!...(I assume you are talking about the music being good chit?)

Yes the music and the wine. It has been a few decades since I had some good chit. No point going to Amsterdam except for the Rembrandt museum.

frenchmon
09-02-2011, 03:29 PM
Yes the music and the wine. It has been a few decades since I had some good chit. No point going to Amsterdam except for the Rembrandt museum.

Yeah I feel ya on that one....last time I had some good chit was 1989....so its been a while.

JohnMichael
09-07-2011, 08:22 AM
I keep pulling out the vinyl. Last night I was listening to a variety of music. What impressed me last night was Cleo Laine's "Return to Carnegie Hall". At the end of one song she hits a very high note that on some cartridges it was tough to determine if it was her voice or the horns. Last night it was obvious which were her high notes. Her notes were obviously human and distinct from the horns. She hits a high note and then the next note is higher and then she goes even higher. Wow even more impressive through the Grado.

JohnMichael
10-20-2011, 01:17 PM
The Grado is still singing sweetly. I removed the 2mm spacer to see how it would sound and I was surprised. Without the spacer I did not notice any great change in balance but a greater depth to the soundstage. The tymapni and bass drums in the Telarc "Rite of Spring" Cleveland Orchestra were both further back and more focused. I would also have to say the bass was a little fuller and more rounded in tone. Of course along with this change was my returning to the Funk Firm Achroplat which also improved the bass power.

dean_martin
10-20-2011, 02:36 PM
The Grado is still singing sweetly. I removed the 2mm spacer to see how it would sound and I was surprised. Without the spacer I did not notice any great change in balance but a greater depth to the soundstage. The tymapni and bass drums in the Telarc "Rite of Spring" Cleveland Orchestra were both further back and more focused. I would also have to say the bass was a little fuller and more rounded in tone. Of course along with this change was my returning to the Funk Firm Achroplat which also improved the bass power.

John, this is a little off topic but your post reminded me of something I've been meaning to ask about. What has more effect on soundstage depth - source, speakers, speaker placement, amplifier or something else?

JohnMichael
10-20-2011, 02:52 PM
John, this is a little off topic but your post reminded me of something I've been meaning to ask about. What has more effect on soundstage depth - source, speakers, speaker placement, amplifier or something else?

I think it can be any component. Speakers have been designed with a slight recess to give the impression of more depth. I think vinyl does depth and ambience much better than cd. VTA helped with depth presentation of the Grado. Too much toe-in can exaggerate depth. I think better electronics have better soundstage presentation. When you are sitting in your chair with eyes closed and the soundfield sounds larger than your room that is the magic of 2 channel.

JohnMichael
10-20-2011, 06:05 PM
Oh and a good recording that captures ambiance and depth. Usually one that is minimally miked.

JohnMichael
10-21-2011, 10:53 AM
Well it did not take long but I am back to the glass platter and Ringmat mat. The FF Achroplat makes the bass very strong but the highs sounded brittle and harsh. Well as brittle and harsh as the Grado could sound. The Ringmat is still champ for my table, records, cartridge and system. Listening to vinyl is once again sweet and resolved.

JohnMichael
11-28-2011, 05:28 PM
The Grado in the Rega arm. Playing with the new macro lens. A picture of my dog in his room and detail of a lamp.

frenchmon
07-22-2012, 04:02 PM
One of the great aspects of this cartridge is the center fill. I have heard some carts that the imaging would not be as solid in the center. The Grado Sonata is solid the full width of the soundstage. Oh and Rage is sounding awesome. I keep hearing things I have not heard before and everything makes more musical sense. Very nice. I need to buy the Sonata some more vinyl.

Man...I would love to hear this cart with the Vento's. I think I will purchase one some time early next year.

JohnMichael
07-22-2012, 04:24 PM
Man...I would love to hear this cart with the Vento's. I think I will purchase one some time early next year.

Come visit and give it a listen. I think I will always have a Grado Sonata in my Rega.

frenchmon
07-22-2012, 04:38 PM
Come visit and give it a listen. I think I will always have a Grado Sonata in my Rega.

Hey I might just take you up on that some day JM. Not only do I want to hear that cart, but more so, that table! I'm sure that puppy sounds excellent.

When I get a new phono amp, I will send you the Grado phono amp to take a listen with the Sonata....if you are still interested....but it will hopefully be first quarter 2013.

JohnMichael
07-22-2012, 05:17 PM
Hey I might just take you up on that some day JM. Not only do I want to hear that cart, but more so, that table! I'm sure that puppy sounds excellent.

When I get a new phono amp, I will send you the Grado phono amp to take a listen with the Sonata....if you are still interested....but it will hopefully be first quarter 2013.

I am always interested in trying new to me audio products. It would be fun to compare the Grado with the Moon.

frenchmon
07-22-2012, 06:11 PM
I will send it to you then.

JohnMichael
07-22-2012, 07:52 PM
I will send it to you then.

Or bring it when you visit. I have a spare bedroom with en suite. Queen bed and fresh linens but ignore Corky's looks he thinks it is his room. Your +1 is also welcome. The bad news is I do not cook but I know where the professionals work.

frenchmon
07-23-2012, 05:41 AM
It may be a while before I can vacation. Perhaps next year. Wife has been talking about a family vacation.