SACDs ar Fry's [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : SACDs ar Fry's

hifitommy
08-14-2011, 01:42 PM
being used to the dismal and dying selection at the burbank store, i was pleasantly surprised to find a fairly healthy passel of them at the canoga park store. there were classical, pop, rock, jazz, and some other things (a couple of DVDAs) that made me feel good about fry's again in regards to SACDs.

i ended up buying five rca living stereo classical titles:

ravel/debussy bolero/imagaes for orchestra-charles munch

tchaikowsky pathetique-pierre monteux

dvorak new world symphony-reiner

hi-fi arthur fiedler

brahm piano concerto 1 in d-rubenstein, reiner

each was ten bucks. others i was interseted in were in the 16-28 dollar range and there was a mahler box set for 100. the jazz was analogue productions at 28 per. i might have gone crazier but theres a limit to my wallet (but not the craziness).

get 'em before theyre gone.

Woochifer
08-14-2011, 06:50 PM
The Fry's locations close to where I live in the Bay Area have actually been restocking their SACD sections. It's all hybrids, and primarily classical titles. But, as you mentioned, I did see a fair number of Analogue Productions titles, as well as Mobile Fidelity issues. I also saw that Mahler boxed set you mentioned sitting on the shelves.

It had been a couple of years since I saw much of anything new added to their DVD-A (yes, they have a few of those sitting around) and SACD section. So, it was a shock to see that section restocked with a bunch of relatively recent releases.

The RCA Living Stereo selections I would think are not that difficult to find, given that the CD/SACD hybrid is how that entire reissue series was released (unlike Telarc or Concord Jazz's titles, the RCA Living Stereo series is not available on regular CDs).

bobsticks
08-15-2011, 06:10 AM
I assume we're talking about set (http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Avie/SFS0039)? (There's more than one collection available)

For those that haven't had the opportunity to experince, it is, in a word, badass.

hifitommy
08-15-2011, 03:19 PM
woochiffer,

i disagree about the RCAs not being on rbcd. i have the reiner pictures at an exhibition on both formats. i have also seen other titles.

Woochifer
08-15-2011, 06:53 PM
woochiffer,

i disagree about the RCAs not being on rbcd. i have the reiner pictures at an exhibition on both formats. i have also seen other titles.

I was referring to the reissue series that started up around 2004 and continued through 2008. For those titles, the CD/SACD hybrid was the only way you could get them (unless you find an older edition still sitting on store shelves). Even though RCA hasn't done any new press runs, those discs are still relatively easy to find.

hifitommy
08-23-2011, 12:35 PM
well, i stopped into the burbank store and lo and behold--they have restocked though not like in the old days. maybe hi-rez isnt dead in the bricks and mortar stores yet!