OMG Who Knew? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : OMG Who Knew?

atomicAdam
08-12-2011, 08:29 AM
well - funny little video from yahoo about vinyl sales in the US.

Who Knew? - Yahoo! News (http://whoknew.news.yahoo.com/?nc&vid=26245521) <<-- Link

Feanor
08-12-2011, 09:14 AM
well - funny little video from yahoo about vinyl sales in the US.

Who Knew? - Yahoo! News (http://whoknew.news.yahoo.com/?nc&vid=26245521)
Mildly interesting. :smile5:

Personally I don't have rush out to buy Abbey Road since I already have it on vinyl from back in the day. I never listen to it, though.

Ajani
08-12-2011, 09:58 AM
Not to sound like a Vinyl hater; but if the best selling album last year was by the Beatles, then the format is still irrelevant to all but the most hardcore fans...

RGA
08-14-2011, 03:07 PM
I would not be too harsh on vinyl for the Beatles being the number one seller. Vinyl at this point is for a segment of audiophiles and DJs and that's about it.

But that is still a huge market - the fact that it is small compared to something else doesn't mean much - the audiophile market is tiny compared to the mainstream market. And this does not factor in used store sales. Which let's face it is probably 30-50 times higher than new vinyl sales. There are two big used vinyl shops in my town of 70,000 people. They carry a few new titles but 40 new titles and 100,000 used titles is a big big difference.

Ajani
08-15-2011, 01:05 PM
I would not be too harsh on vinyl for the Beatles being the number one seller. Vinyl at this point is for a segment of audiophiles and DJs and that's about it.

But that is still a huge market - the fact that it is small compared to something else doesn't mean much - the audiophile market is tiny compared to the mainstream market. And this does not factor in used store sales. Which let's face it is probably 30-50 times higher than new vinyl sales. There are two big used vinyl shops in my town of 70,000 people. They carry a few new titles but 40 new titles and 100,000 used titles is a big big difference.

I don't think we actually disagree on this issue... What I'm saying is really that all these articles basically claiming that Vinyl is making a comeback, are pretty silly. It's a niche product... I'm sure it will continue to do well with its market... But that's it... It's never going to become mainstream again... and the fact that a Beatles album is the bestseller, is just a reflection of how niche Vinyl's market really is...