DIY- Ikea Lack Table Audio Rack [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : DIY- Ikea Lack Table Audio Rack

Poultrygeist
08-10-2011, 03:59 AM
I was in Ikea recently and saw these Lack Tables in black for only $7.00 each. I bought a couple but three of these together can make a decent audio rack stand as shown in the link below.

The Ikea Lack-Rack thread (http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/179442/the-ikea-lack-rack-thread)

frenchmon
08-10-2011, 07:13 AM
Man...that's what I miss about North Carolina...the IKEA Store. Here in St. Louis the closes one is in Chicago...250 miles away.

http://gallery.audioasylum.com/cgi/gi.mpl?u=31915&f=DIY_Ikea_Lyte_Rack_007.jpg

I like this one better

http://cgim.audiogon.com/i/vs/i/f/1108322802.jpg

Feanor
08-10-2011, 08:53 AM
I was in Ikea recently and saw these Lack Tables in black for only $7.00 each. I bought a couple but three of these together can make a decent audio rack stand as shown in the link below.

The Ikea Lack-Rack thread (http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/179442/the-ikea-lack-rack-thread)
Great idea. I see that the legs can be cut for lower height for stacking. They are C$10 each for the ones Frenchmon pictures.

harley .guy07
08-10-2011, 09:25 AM
very good ideas guys and they look like something Audio Adviser would wan't a thousand dollars for and with some tools and snappy thinking you guys have some damn fine audio racks. Heck I might go to some of the stores here in Springfield and see what I can find. I might want to do some system rack changeups myself.

frenchmon
08-10-2011, 09:37 AM
very good ideas guys and they look like something Audio Adviser would wan't a thousand dollars for and with some tools and snappy thinking you guys have some damn fine audio racks. Heck I might go to some of the stores here in Springfield and see what I can find. I might want to do some system rack changeups myself.

Harley...you got IKEA in your neck of the woods?

Poultrygeist
08-12-2011, 11:22 AM
frenchmon,

I can spend an entire day at the IKEA in Charlotte and the Swedish meatballs are pretty tastey.

harley .guy07
08-22-2011, 05:43 AM
Harley...you got IKEA in your neck of the woods?

NO I don't and it is starting to look like I wish I did. Nobody around here it seems would have tables like that at the prices that these guys have gotten. I even went to their web site and still nothing that is priced that cheap even though they had some options that were not terribly expensive but I am betting they have betters deals in their stores than online. Springfield has your run of the mill furniture stores and then there is Target and Walmart but I actually want my equipment to not collapse the racks as well.

frenchmon
08-22-2011, 04:24 PM
frenchmon,

I can spend an entire day at the IKEA in Charlotte and the Swedish meatballs are pretty tastey.

Yeah...I moved as soon as they got done building that one...there was one up near Va I use to visit....it
was like 2-3 hours away from Durham/Raleigh

frenchmon
08-22-2011, 04:26 PM
NO I don't and it is starting to look like I wish I did. Nobody around here it seems would have tables like that at the prices that these guys have gotten. I even went to their web site and still nothing that is priced that cheap even though they had some options that were not terribly expensive but I am betting they have betters deals in their stores than online. Springfield has your run of the mill furniture stores and then there is Target and Walmart but I actually want my equipment to not collapse the racks as well.

The prices you see on line are the same as the stores....its the shipping that kills you. But they have unbelievable prices.

harley .guy07
08-23-2011, 09:39 AM
Yeah even with the shipping you would be better than spending thousands or at least hundreds at a audio shop or through audio adviser or something like that. Hell I might just build my on from scratch when I get the time since I can make it the exact size,shape and color I wan't

frenchmon
08-23-2011, 02:33 PM
There is this one bookshelf that many buy from IKEA to hold albums.it only cost $69.00 but if I have it shipped to St.Louis rather than drive to Chicago....the shipping will be almost $400.00 if they ship it to me.

harley .guy07
08-26-2011, 05:26 AM
that's ridiculas to charge that much on shipping for a cabinet. I would not shop online at a store that thought that was an acceptable practice.

ronpaul
09-21-2011, 09:53 AM
yes...it is corrrect....

harley .guy07
09-22-2011, 05:22 PM
I think I will choose as a future project to build my own cabinet since I do carpentry as a hobby and can replicate these type of cabinets cheap and they are very easy to build and finish but I will have to wait until I have the time(too much studying right now).

Yamaha101
01-07-2014, 03:32 PM
Did what Poultrygeist said, and voila. Heads up, though, the legs are hollow, so when you cut them down you'll have to insert a 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 x whatever length you need to fiill the inside of the leg. Shim, screw in some speaker spikes and you're good to go. Hmmmm, just thought of something that could be easier and less time consuming ... fill the leg with insulating foam sealant that dries solid and then screw in the speaker spikes. I'm thinking of making a third shelf, I think I'll try that idea and I'll let you know how it goes. Total cost, $42.00. 95879588Thanks Poulrtygeist