Universal Remote for A/V Yamaha Receiver [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Universal Remote for A/V Yamaha Receiver

chiefwalk3
08-07-2011, 04:18 PM
Hi! I am having trouble finding a universal remote to run my system. Yamaha AVR RX461, Sony Bravia 40" LED TV, Sony DVD player DVP-NS55P, Pioneer Blue-Ray BDP-51FD. The Yamaha seems to resist being operated by the universal remotes I have tried so far. I use my AVR for sound in the system with the DVD hooked to it, the Blue-Ray player hooked up via HDMI to the TV and optical cable to the AVR for movie sound. I realize the AVR is pre-HDMI but like my set up as is just want to operate everything thru one remote. Is there universal remote that will sync everything together? Thanks in advance for any help.

Worf101
08-07-2011, 06:55 PM
As I and many others after me will tell you the Logitech Harmony One is the way to go. My ole ladies a brilliant woman but more than one remote and her eyes gloss over like saucers of milk. If she can operate a Harmony One ANYONE can. You'll need internet access to set it up however.

Worf

L.J.
08-07-2011, 07:04 PM
I'll second that :thumbsup:

Hyfi
08-08-2011, 02:54 AM
Harmony One as said above will handle it.

noddin0ff
08-08-2011, 05:44 AM
Yes! What they said.

chiefwalk3
08-08-2011, 05:46 AM
Worf was trying to get off on the cheap side. The Harmony One is more than I wanted to pay for a universal but with the problem connecting I will have to reconsider it.
As I and many others after me will tell you the Logitech Harmony One is the way to go. My ole ladies a brilliant woman but more than one remote and her eyes gloss over like saucers of milk. If she can operate a Harmony One ANYONE can. You'll need internet access to set it up however.

Worf

Glen B
08-08-2011, 10:19 AM
Harmony remotes are fine, but I use and prefer my old Philips Pronto remotes, of which I have three. I just love being able to configure them to my heart's desire using the ProntoEdit software, without having to log onto any internet site. Its easy enough to add a button function once you obtain the hex or RC-5/RC-6 codes for that function, especially with difficult to learn remote codes, which I have encountered in the past. I have yet to encounter any component which the Pronto does not operate.

chiefwalk3
08-08-2011, 05:25 PM
Thanks for the tip! Glen B. I did some research on the Harmony remotes at the Logitech website and found that there have been many Yamaha AVR owners that have my experience not being able to sync functions. Even with the Yamaha AVR's high end and starter level like my RX-V461. I already tried two of the Philips remotes before and they couldn't sync with the Yamaha either. It seems Yamaha may have code they didn't share with the remote industry to access/sync their receivers functions. Since I like my sound and I have gotten used to the multiple remotes I will just forget it. Thanks anyway.

Poultrygeist
08-09-2011, 07:18 AM
I have the Harmony 520 which was entry level when purchased. It controls my cable box, tv, avr, dvd and vcr with room for others. It works well for my wife but my big fingers struggle with the small keys. I always keep spare batteries on hand as the memory doesn't last that long and setting them up from scratch through the pc can take some time. I usually get 6 months on 4 batteries in the bedroom system.The 520 is an impressively handsome remote which lights up with the slightest movement in the room but next time I may go with one of their more expensive peanut shaped remotes.

Poultrygeist
08-09-2011, 07:21 AM
I believe all the Harmony's have a smart feature that allows them to learn the codes from another remote.