Anti-Cables on their way/have arrived [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Anti-Cables on their way/have arrived

JohnMichael
08-04-2011, 04:01 PM
I ordered two pairs of Anti-Cables for bi-wiring. I have been thinking of experimenting with either the Anti's or the Mapleshade speaker cables. I think what turned me off about the Mapleshade cables was the extra treatment or the double runs of cables. I have also found silver coated copper bright to my ears. The Anti-Cables are the most simple.

I used a pair of Poppa C's solid core cables but I think the limiting factor was the factory jumpers I had. Now that I will have two pair to bi-wire I will not need jumpers. I am expecting the great bass I had with the Poppa C cables.

The Audioquest Slates have become too smooth or I am bored with the smoothness. My stranded pair of bi-wire cables are too thin and miss some of the body of the music.

If I decide these are the cables for me Paul will shotgun a pair and twist them to make them a little more manageable. He does this at a slight upcharge. Then I will have only one pair of spades at the amp end and two at the speaker end. I have no doubt the Krell can handle two spades but I can see where it might make a neater cable run.

When they arrive I will be comparing them with the AQ Slates, AQ GBC stranded bi-wires, AlphaCore Goertz MI1 single wire. I will write a review and post to this thread.

frenchmon
08-04-2011, 05:11 PM
Man aint this hobby fun!

I had some 12 gage speaker bi wire on my Paradigm/Marantz combination. I got rid of the stock jumper in favor of some custom jumpers from Analysis Plus as well as single wire from A+ because this was cheaper than buying bi-wire. Turned out really well...the combination of custom A+ speaker wire/jumpers out performed the 12 gage bi-wire I was previously using.

JohnMichael
08-04-2011, 05:41 PM
Man aint this hobby fun!

I had some 12 gage speaker bi wire on my Paradigm/Marantz combination. I got rid of the stock jumper in favor of some custom jumpers from Analysis Plus as well as single wire from A+ because this was cheaper than buying bi-wire. Turned out really well...the combination of custom A+ speaker wire/jumpers out performed the 12 gage bi-wire I was previously using.

May I ask which 12 guage bi-wire speaker cable you used? As a solid core cable fiend I never tried Analysis Plus since I do not like stranded cables. I will be watching my mailbox for the Anti-Cables.

frenchmon
08-05-2011, 05:13 AM
May I ask which 12 guage bi-wire speaker cable you used? As a solid core cable fiend I never tried Analysis Plus since I do not like stranded cables. I will be watching my mailbox for the Anti-Cables.

Hi JM...it was a cheapo cable. Nothing fancy or boutique. I got it online someplace about 5 years ago I remember. Just your standard high purity, oxygen free copper. It was stranded wire. This was before I believed cable and wire made a difference in a system. After I found out through a shoot out that cable and wire did make a difference, that's when I tried A+ wires with custom jumpers and was very satisfied. Thanks for asking.

I may have mis-lead you....it was single wire i made into bi-wire.

Kindly let us know about your new wire....Anti-Cables, I've heard nothing but praise bout Anti-Cables.

JohnMichael
08-06-2011, 10:51 AM
I hope the Anti-cables arrive today. Of course they were mailed Thursday so most likely Monday. I have an open mind about what they can and can not do.

I used to buy Radio Shack solid core hook up wire and made my own cables. I do not think the copper purity was enough for audio. I had all sorts of fun buying rolls of different gauges of solid core wire. They were available in gauges from 16 to 24. I first became interested in solid core when Dick Olsher did a cable review for Stereophile. He felt one of the best cables was the original Tara Lab cable that was a twisted pair of solid core wire. It was much cheaper than the other cables tested.

I have owned solid core speaker cable from Audioquest, AlphaCore, Nordost and Tara Labs. I would like to think the Anti-cables will be the best. They are very simple and inexpensive. As I mentioned previously the AQ Slates have become a little boring due to smoothness.

I have read where the cables need a fair amount of burn-in. I find that interesting since I have read the less dielectric the less time to sound their best. Another site mentioned the importance of tightening the binding posts for best sound. I think the Krell and the OML 1's have very solid posts that I should be able to torque it all down.

JohnMichael
08-06-2011, 04:51 PM
They arrived today. Wow that was quick. Mailed them Thursday from Minnesota and they were here today when I arrived home. Initial impressions are very favorable. I was so excited to hook them up that they need a little reworking.

frenchmon
08-06-2011, 05:53 PM
Dowg Man! Do you cut them to size? And seeing the copper is open, will it tarnish over time?

JohnMichael
08-06-2011, 06:36 PM
Dowg Man! Do you cut them to size? And seeing the copper is open, will it tarnish over time?

They are very thinly insulated and terminated with copper spades. I ordered two 7 ft. pairs. The speaker binding posts on the Krell can easily handle the two spades each for the two runs of cables. As stiff as the cables are you would never need cable elevators since they hold themselves off the carpet.

JohnMichael
08-07-2011, 05:13 AM
You know the old expressions that a product removed a veil or opened a window to the sound well I must say the Anti's have done that for my system. Vocals are so natural and this does not seem to be due to the cables producing a more forward sound. I think it is because there is less interference from the cables.

It is way too early to write much of a review but I am pleased. I think it is too early to start twisting the cables to hear if that brings improvements. For now I like that random positions of the wire looking like art behind the speakers and stand.

I will say I have never heard Madeleine Peyroux's "careless love" sounding any better or as musical. Some of my cables can make this recording sound plodding and boring.

JohnMichael
08-07-2011, 10:13 AM

I do plan on running the wires a little neater than they are. I was very anxious to hear them so I hooked them up as quickly as possible. One thing that surprised me is they are considered directional. Of course that is how I hooked them up. It mist be how the wire is drawn that would make them directional.

frenchmon
08-07-2011, 07:47 PM
You know the old expressions that a product removed a veil or opened a window to the sound well I must say the Anti's have done that for my system. Vocals are so natural and this does not seem to be due to the cables producing a more forward sound. I think it is because there is less interference from the cables.

It is way too early to write much of a review but I am pleased. I think it is too early to start twisting the cables to hear if that brings improvements. For now I like that random positions of the wire looking like art behind the speakers and stand.

I will say I have never heard Madeleine Peyroux's "careless love" sounding any better or as musical. Some of my cables can make this recording sound plodding and boring.

Nice to hear you have improvement in your system. On another not....you got "Madeleine Peyroux" on vinyl? She can come close to sounding like our girl Billy can't she. I'll have to get that on vinyl some day

frenchmon
08-07-2011, 07:49 PM
I do plan on running the wires a little neater than they are. I was very anxious to hear them so I hooked them up as quickly as possible. One thing that surprised me is they are considered directional. Of course that is how I hooked them up. It mist be how the wire is drawn that would make them directional.

Yeah you sound like me when I get something new...So they best your old cables? Where they cheaper?

JohnMichael
08-08-2011, 05:57 AM
Yeah you sound like me when I get something new...So they best your old cables? Where they cheaper?

I would have to say they have greater clarity than the Audioquest Slates. The Anti's have no recognizable sound of their own. I think they will wear well. I find that it takes me about two weeks to know if I will like a cable long term.

I am really impressed when listening to Mozart's "Requiem" and Orff's "Carmina Burana". Massed choirs really fill the room in width and depth. The layering of the choir is impressive with the Anti's. The soundstage is open and expanded.

Each pair of cables with copper spades is $10 a foot. A 7 foot pair is $70. I bought two pair of 7 ft. Cables for $140. The sound makes it a bargain.

frenchmon
08-08-2011, 06:20 AM
I would have to say they have greater clarity than the Audioquest Slates. The Anti's have no recognizable sound of their own. I think they will wear well. I find that it takes me about two weeks to know if I will like a cable long term.

I am really impressed when listening to Mozart's "Requiem" and Orff's "Carmina Burana". Massed choirs really fill the room in width and depth. The layering of the choir is impressive with the Anti's. The soundstage is open and expanded.

Each pair of cables with copper spades is $10 a foot. A 7 foot pair is $70. I bought two pair of 7 ft. Cables for $140. The sound makes it a bargain.

Nice to hear you are initially satisfied, but the proof will be in the details down the road. But I have found if I initially like a product in the begining....it usually gets better.

As far as the music you listed above....is it vinyl? I have a few classical works on vinyl, but they seem to be of the older pressings of the 70's which are not very good recordings. Are those above good recordings? And could you be so kind and give me complete album name, artist and title? I am interested in growing my small string collection....the Vincent really shines with strings. Thanks.

JohnMichael
08-09-2011, 08:21 AM
The Anti-cables make it much easier to follow an individual instrument. The piano in the live recording of Tchaikovsky's Piano Concerto No. 1 with Evgeny Kissin on piano with orchestra is not lost when the orchestra reaches a peak. The down side of the Anti's is there is no coloration to hide poor recordings.

JohnMichael
08-09-2011, 05:48 PM
This thread is becoming my listening notes. These cables are not for systems that you need to brighten or warm up. The will not add anything to the balance. I do appreciate the clarity. Now that I have been listening to the Anti's I think of the AQ Slates as cornstarch. They thickened up the sound. The Black Eyed Peas have never sounded better.

Ajani
08-09-2011, 07:13 PM
Congrats on the new cables. Anti-Cables are the first (and so far only) cables that I can say I really heard a positive improvement in my system... And they are cheap enough that I could care less whether they would pass a DBT or not...

JohnMichael
08-10-2011, 05:53 AM
Congrats on the new cables. Anti-Cables are the first (and so far only) cables that I can say I really heard a positive improvement in my system... And they are cheap enough that I could care less whether they would pass a DBT or not...

I have owned many different brands of cables. Alpha Core, Audioquest, Hartley, Kimber, Monster, Nordost and some I have forgotten. Who knew a single, solid, thinly insulated wire would become my favorite. I think many speaker cables have been over engineered. Ajani I do not know if you could do better so enjoy them. Maybe the ultra expensive top of the line models from the brands mentioned might be an improvement but I like the Anti's and the cost.

I enjoyed Vaughn Williams "Sea Symphony" late last night. Vocals do not get jumbled or become unintelligible. The clarity and separation with large choral groups is amazing. The group is stretched across the room instead of huddled together in the center. I have changed nothing but the cables so I attribute all the improvements to the Anti-cables.

eisforelectronic
08-10-2011, 05:35 PM
I decided to order a set, I've always been curious.

JohnMichael
08-10-2011, 05:54 PM
I decided to order a set, I've always been curious.

I am sure you will be pleased and let us know your opinion.

JohnMichael
08-12-2011, 04:14 PM
I just had a thought. I may bring the Monitor Audio RS 6's out of the closet to see if the AntiCables help them. I have vacation coming up and will have the time to play. I know they will not knock the OML1's off of their perch but it might be fun to try. Both the OML1's and the RS6's are biwire and I am running two pair of AntiCables so it might give me an idea if the RS6's are better than I thought. Maybe the Audioquest Slates were holding them back.

JohnMichael
08-14-2011, 06:05 AM
Raising Sand with Robert Plant and Alison Krauss has never sounded better. I think one of the benefits of this cable is timing. One solid core wire allows the pace and timing of the music to be correct. A cable like my Slates with different solid core guages tend to smear the timing.

Right now Pearl Jam Ten is playing. More coherence with Eddie's vocals and the band is sounding more together as a band than with other cables.

I think I heart these cables. I wonder what I can get for all my other cables with the price of scrap copper?

I am still using the DNM Reson IC between the SA8001 and the S-300i. The AlphaCore TQ2 from the Graham Slee Grahm Amp3 to the S-300i. All the cables have a single solid core wire for the positive and negative. Single and solid is the way to go for me.

:16:

JohnMichael
08-14-2011, 06:32 PM
Tonight while listening to In The Heights one of my favorite new Broadway Musicals I heard another reason to love the AntiCables. On disc 1 track 7 96,000 The stage contains several couples and a woman singing a solo. Tonight for the first time it did not become a jumbled mass of voices but you could continue to follow the individual couples while hearing the soloist sing above the others. Sounded like it did when I saw it live. Can I truly love a cheap cable, yes I can.

eisforelectronic
08-14-2011, 08:46 PM
You are driving my hopes higher and higher!!! Now I'm afraid I will be disappointed.

JohnMichael
08-15-2011, 02:43 AM
You are driving my hopes higher and higher!!! Now I'm afraid I will be disappointed.

I am not sure what you are using for cables now but my comments are based on my most recent experience with the Audioquest Slates. My speakers can be bi-wired so I am running a pair to the low frequency drivers and a pair to the high frequency drivers. I am not using single wire and jumpers. I could have purchased his jumpers for less than another pair of cables but I wanted to bi-wire.

Ajani
08-15-2011, 12:57 PM

I'd be surprised if you are. Anti-Cables are an easy recommendation.

One day I'll probably spring for some of their balanced ICs...

eisforelectronic
08-15-2011, 01:15 PM
I'd be surprised if you are. Anti-Cables are an easy recommendation.

One day I'll probably spring for some of their balanced ICs...

I guess we'll see. Supposedly they were being sent out on Saturday. One 9 foot stereo set with factory twisting. If they are better than my current speaker wire, it will be somewhat bittersweet after investing so much time and work.

JohnMichael
08-16-2011, 07:04 AM
I guess we'll see. Supposedly they were being sent out on Saturday. One 9 foot stereo set with factory twisting. If they are better than my current speaker wire, it will be somewhat bittersweet after investing so much time and work.

I have not tried twisting my Anti's yet. Mine are still in that random mess you see in the pictures. In that rather sloppy manner they are self elevating off the floor and do not run parallel to any other cables. May not be to others liking but I enjoy the modern art feel. Do not forget that you can always untwist them if you want.

Ajani
08-16-2011, 08:32 AM
I never got around to twisting mine either... And I agree that the modern art look is appealing...

eisforelectronic
08-16-2011, 08:01 PM
I have not tried twisting my Anti's yet. Mine are still in that random mess you see in the pictures. In that rather sloppy manner they are self elevating off the floor and do not run parallel to any other cables. May not be to others liking but I enjoy the modern art feel. Do not forget that you can always untwist them if you want.

Paul recommended the twisting for runs of 8 feet or longer.

JohnMichael
08-17-2011, 04:29 AM
Paul recommended the twisting for runs of 8 feet or longer.

He would know best but I rarely leave things alone.

eisforelectronic
08-17-2011, 07:10 PM
ok, it's been about an hour and a half since I put the Anti-cables in and they are pretty much as advertised. Very nice!!! Thanks for the inspiration to finally pull the trigger!

Ajani
08-17-2011, 08:10 PM
ok, it's been about an hour and a half since I put the Anti-cables in and they are pretty much as advertised. Very nice!!! Thanks for the inspiration to finally pull the trigger!

:thumbsup:

Glad to see you're enjoying the new toy...

JohnMichael
08-17-2011, 08:22 PM

The clarity is amazing and it only gets better. It feels good for me to stop chasing cables. Enjoy!

eisforelectronic
08-17-2011, 08:39 PM
The clarity is mind blowing, but actually I think everything is better.

JohnMichael
08-18-2011, 05:37 AM
I am not sure if Paul said this or I read it in a testimonial but my stereo sounds like there are no speaker cables between the amp and speakers. I have not been able to hear any kind of sonic signature imposed by the wires. I spend much more time listening to the music and not the components.

eisforelectronic
08-18-2011, 06:11 AM
I'm thinking about buying these as gifts now

JohnMichael
08-18-2011, 06:31 AM
I'm thinking about buying these as gifts now

You are a good person because I only thought of giving my old cables as gifts. Next I think I need a pair of his IC's.

frenchmon
08-18-2011, 08:15 AM
eisforelectronic...what was your previous cables?

eisforelectronic
08-18-2011, 09:40 AM
eisforelectronic...what was your previous cables?

Actually, what I replaced with the Anti's was home made. Most of the "2 channel" guys in my HT club build there own speaker cables and interconnects out of multiple gauges of stranded wire. So, after learning about this theory from them I started experimenting over the last year and a half. When I had something I felt sounded better than the set of Esoterics I was using I finally swapped them out. A few months ago I built another set taking them a step further and ending up with something consisting of gauges 2-32. I felt it was an improvement, so I kept it. In retrospect it was probably a bit much :)

frenchmon
08-18-2011, 03:20 PM
Actually, what I replaced with the Anti's was home made. Most of the "2 channel" guys in my HT club build there own speaker cables and interconnects out of multiple gauges of stranded wire. So, after learning about this theory from them I started experimenting over the last year and a half. When I had something I felt sounded better than the set of Esoterics I was using I finally swapped them out. A few months ago I built another set taking them a step further and ending up with something consisting of gauges 2-32. I felt it was an improvement, so I kept it. In retrospect it was probably a bit much :)

Thanks...you guy got me wanting a shoot out with my A+ and the Anti cable now.....don't know if I want to spend the coin though.

JohnMichael
08-18-2011, 06:35 PM
Tonight I am listening to some MoFi vinyl through my MoFi speakers. The recording currently playing is Coleman Hawkins "the hawk flies high". The AntiCables are doing justice to the sax. The way music pulses and flows is amazing.

eisforelectronic
08-18-2011, 07:02 PM
I'm listening to Transformers: Dark of the Moon, the score. Nice deep bass, lots of impact.

Poultrygeist
08-19-2011, 03:18 AM
If any of you guys have braiding skills you might want to try some cheap cat5 speaker cables. They won out in a cable shootout.

Speaker cable made from braided Cat5 (http://www.mejiatryti.com/SpeakerCable/fivebraid.html)

JohnMichael
08-19-2011, 04:42 AM
If any of you guys have braiding skills you might want to try some cheap cat5 speaker cables. They won out in a cable shootout.

Speaker cable made from braided Cat5 (http://www.mejiatryti.com/SpeakerCable/fivebraid.html)

Interesting link but once you go AntiCable the cable search stops.

eisforelectronic
08-19-2011, 06:38 AM

I used cat5 for a little bit, I didn't like it at all. It wasn't braided though.

Poultrygeist
08-19-2011, 12:13 PM
What's the difference between magnet wire and AntiCable? I can buy 12 guage enameled magnet wire for less than $.50 a foot at a local wire dealer.

Ajani
08-19-2011, 12:58 PM
What's the difference between magnet wire and AntiCable? I can buy 12 guage enameled magnet wire for less than $.50 a foot at a local wire dealer.

As far as I know; nothing... I know many DIYers claim to have the same results with magnet wire... However, I've yet to get some magnet wire to compare results...

My suggestion would be test the magnet wire from your local dealer against whatever speaker cables you have now and see if you prefer the results... Might be interesting...

JohnMichael
08-19-2011, 01:00 PM

The purity of the copper and the grain structure. Plus the very thin insulation. Copper wire does vary in quality.

Ajani
08-19-2011, 01:07 PM
The purity of the copper and the grain structure. Plus the very thin insulation. Copper wire does vary in quality.

Sounds reasonable... Other than the insulation; magnet wire also has the same thin red enamel insulation as anticables...

Poultrygeist
08-19-2011, 04:23 PM
I think I'll stick to my Wood's patio cord.

blackraven
08-19-2011, 04:24 PM
Here is a site for magnet wire at cheap prices-

Magnet Wire (http://www.bulkwire.com/wire-cable/magnet-wire.html)

JohnMichael
08-19-2011, 05:11 PM

Sadly you will never know what you are missing. All the music.

Ajani
08-19-2011, 05:18 PM

Why? Magnet wire is so cheap that it's worth trying out.... You might be surprised at the results...

JohnMichael
08-19-2011, 05:21 PM
Here is a site for magnet wire at cheap prices-

Magnet Wire (http://www.bulkwire.com/wire-cable/magnet-wire.html)

The Difference
The Anti-Cable wire is made of one solid piece of highly annealed, super long drawn, Continuously Cast Oxygen Free Copper. They might look skinny, but that is because the insulation (dielectric
material) is a very thin red coating instead of the typical thick plastic insulation. They are actually a heavy 12 gauge wire, even thought they look much smaller.

The truth is in the hearing and what I paid for two pair of AntiCables to bi-wire is less than I pay for a dinner for two with wine. I will always have the cables but I will piss away the wine and the dinner will soon come to pass. As Auntie Mame says life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving. I do not mean that in todays economical tragedies but let us not always find the cheapest way to go.

Ajani
08-19-2011, 05:31 PM
The Difference
The Anti-Cable wire is made of one solid piece of highly annealed, super long drawn, Continuously Cast Oxygen Free Copper. They might look skinny, but that is because the insulation (dielectric
material) is a very thin red coating instead of the typical thick plastic insulation. They are actually a heavy 12 gauge wire, even thought they look much smaller.

Keep in mind that AntiCable is made part-time by a husband and wife team... working with the actual cable to measure, cut and terminate is relatively labour intensive (as magnet wire is more tricky to deal with than regular cables)... However, I see nothing to suggest that Paul and Judy Speltz create the raw wire (just that they cut and terminate it), so I assume they have a distributor supply them with very high quality (possibly custom) magnet wire. So it's likely better magnet wire than what you could purchase in bulk at a hardware, but using the cheap hardware wire should give some of the benefits...

The truth is in the hearing and what I paid for two pair of AntiCables to bi-wire is less than I pay for a dinner for two with wine. I will always have the cables but I will piss away the wine and the dinner will soon come to pass. As Auntie Mame says life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving. I do not mean that in todays economical tragedies but let us not always find the cheapest way to go.

For the price of AntiCables I still regard them as an easy recommendation. But for DIYers who either must do something themselves or really need to feel that they've saved a buck, then magnet wire should be OK.

JohnMichael
08-19-2011, 05:47 PM
For the price of AntiCables I still regard them as an easy recommendation. But for DIYers who either must do something themselves or really need to feel that they've saved a buck, then magnet wire should be OK.

I spent some time playing with solid core wire of various guages from Radio Shack. They never achieved the quality the AntiCables have so I think the quality of the wire and the lack of the grain structure is what makes the difference. When someone wants the cheapest cables I wonder if they do not realize how important they are to the signal chain. They are a component to the system.

Ajani
08-19-2011, 05:56 PM
I spent some time playing with solid core wire of various guages from Radio Shack. They never achieved the quality the AntiCables have so I think the quality of the wire and the lack of the grain structure is what makes the difference. When someone wants the cheapest cables I wonder if they do not realize how important they are to the signal chain. They are a component to the system.

Quality of the cable must play a role... But I don't believe (though I could be wrong) that the solid core you tried from Radio Shack had thin insulation like AntiCables and magnet wire... The combination of solid core, thin insulation and quality is what makes the AntiCable special... However, I have heard persons claim to get similar results with just magnet wire (solid core and thin insulation)... If I ever get my hands on some 12 gauge magnet wire, I'll do a comparison with my AntiCables...

Poultrygeist
08-20-2011, 03:02 AM
Interesting article. Is there anything wrong with pride in ownership?

Speaker Wire (http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm)

JohnMichael
08-20-2011, 03:53 AM
Interesting article. Is there anything wrong with pride in ownership?

Speaker Wire (http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm)

I am proud of how much nicer my system sounds with AntiCables.

Poultrygeist
08-20-2011, 04:37 AM
And I'm proud of my humble Woods Patio cord ( aka White Lightning Moonshine ) which costs less than $.20 per foot. I needed an easy to move around, flexible shielded cable and one that strips easily without losing stands and it meets those requirements. It's 16 gauge high quality copper wire is all that's needed for short runs and it works much better with set screw banana plugs than larger gauges. They're also light enough not to pull my tiny SET off it's perch.

The Woods Patio cord provides the best sound meaning it does not degrade which is all anyone should hope for.

JohnMichael
08-20-2011, 05:46 AM
Enjoy what you have but let us enjoy and be enthusiastic about what we have. I have tried many types of wires and for me these are best. I have no intention of braiding wires, making my own or cutting up extension cords. I do not like stranded wires and after hearing the AntiCables I have no interest in ever hearing other cables but sharing the joy they bring.

JohnMichael
08-24-2011, 08:22 AM
The AntiCables are keepers. They have no colorations or anything to distract me from the music. If there is something better I doubt if I could afford it.

frenchmon
08-25-2011, 06:03 AM
I spent some time playing with solid core wire of various guages from Radio Shack. They never achieved the quality the AntiCables have so I think the quality of the wire and the lack of the grain structure is what makes the difference. When someone wants the cheapest cables I wonder if they do not realize how important they are to the signal chain. They are a component to the system.[

I have been saying that for years...I don't think some realize that fact!

Poultrygeist
08-29-2011, 04:06 AM
As long as your speaker wire ( no matter the cost, the type, or the hype ) does not degrade the sound then that speaker wire is the best for your system. There may be degrees of degradation but if a wire does not degrade then it can sound no better. To think otherwise is to delude yourself.

JohnMichael
08-29-2011, 04:09 AM
As long as your speaker wire ( no matter the cost, the type, or the hype ) does not degrade the sound then that speaker wire is the best for your system. There may be degrees of degradation but if a wire does not degrade then it can sound no better. To think otherwise is to delude yourself.

The AntiCables degrade less than any cables I have tried or purchased. Therefore my systems sounds better with them in place. Are you upset that I am enjoying them so much and others are finding them quite nice.

JohnMichael
08-29-2011, 07:44 AM
During my years in the audio hobby I have developed some strong feelings on cable preference. Of course my preferences are based on my ears. The first is an appreciation of solid core cable. I am sensitive to the strand interaction of stranded cables. All my speaker cables and IC's currently in my system are solid core. The only exception is the Incognito rewire that is very thin and probably does not carry enough voltage to cause strand interaction.

I also think the quality of the copper and grain structure are important. Purest copper and continually cast to minimize any grunge to the sound. My experience with Radio Shack solid core wire taught me that a good idea can be destroyed by poor materials.

I now believe in minimal insulation. Just enough to keep cables from electrical shorts. Speaker cables do not require shielding so no need for heavy insulations or jackets. If you need a battery hanging off the cable to minimize the problems with insulation your cables need less insulation.

The DNM Reson IC's and the AlphaCore TQ2's are not shielded. The TQ2's reject interference by being Purled. The TQ2's have minimal insulation between the ribbons but have a round jacket that keeps the ribbons purled. The Reson IC's are great with the cd player but they pick up a country radio station, less than two miles away, when used from the phono preamp.

I doubt if I ever try another cable or combination of cables. My only possible cable purchase would be a shotgunned pair of AntiCables with a single spade for the amp end. I would also ask Paul to twist the shotgun, bi-amp cables for neatness. Oh and I almost forgot I may order a pair of his IC's. I am curious in the way they are coiled if they will reject interference so I could use them from the phono pre to the int. amp.

Poultrygeist
08-29-2011, 11:51 AM
Upset? As a child I loved reading "The Emperor's New Clothes".

JohnMichael
08-29-2011, 12:13 PM

Other than chopping up cheap extension cords do you have any real experience with cables? Also if you are happy with your cables please go enjoy them. I am only sharing my experiences. You have made it clear you do not approve of my choice so since your point is made there is no point for you to post again.

Ajani
08-29-2011, 01:25 PM

I'm definitely not a cable fan, but I can't see why Anti-Cables bother you... I paid $60 for mine, which is still cheap for a pair of 6 foot speaker cables... And frankly the $60 is worth it just to keep me from having to waste my time cutting up extension cables...

I could understand you getting excited in a thread about $6,000 cables, but $60 is cheap enough that it really doesn't matter whether I could have got the same performance for less with some DIY project...

poppachubby
08-29-2011, 02:46 PM
Love the solid core. Glad you're happy John. I think the best point Poultry makes is regarding flexibility. For some, the stiff nature of solid copper is no good. Of course, John has reported in the past regarding stiffness...hehe.

poppachubby
08-29-2011, 02:48 PM
The clarity is amazing and it only gets better. It feels good for me to stop chasing cables. Enjoy!

Yes, off of the merry go round is the best feeling in this hobby. I have come to realize that I would rather listen to music than a different pair of cables every other month. Now I can listen to Pat Benetar and just enjoy...we are young.

frenchmon
08-30-2011, 05:42 AM
Pat Benetar My Man?!?!...come on!!!!

JohnMichael
08-30-2011, 04:21 PM
Willie Nelson Wynton Marsalis

Two Men with the Blues

This was a cd I bought and had high hopes for the music. It sounded disjointed and uninteresting. The AntiCables and their proper timing make the music more enjoyable. The music makes more sense when the timing is right. The AQ with the spread spectrum interfered with the timing.

bfalls
08-30-2011, 06:27 PM
Quality of the cable must play a role... But I don't believe (though I could be wrong) that the solid core you tried from Radio Shack had thin insulation like AntiCables and magnet wire... The combination of solid core, thin insulation and quality is what makes the AntiCable special... However, I have heard persons claim to get similar results with just magnet wire (solid core and thin insulation)... If I ever get my hands on some 12 gauge magnet wire, I'll do a comparison with my AntiCables...

Stereophile had the Radio Shack hook-up wire in their Recommended Components list for many years. They don't put grades on the cables because they are so subjective. They only provide reviews from their writers.

JohnMichael
08-31-2011, 08:01 AM
Stereophile had the Radio Shack hook-up wire in their Recommended Components list for many years. They don't put grades on the cables because they are so subjective. They only provide reviews from their writers.

I still have my box of Radio Shack solid core hook-up wire. The insulation is plastic and the look of the copper did not instill confidence as to it's purity. The largest gauge in solid core was 16 gauge so it would be tough to compare with the 12 gauge AntiCables. My system is much nicer then when I experimented with the RS wires. I doubt if the RS wires, if memory serves, would create the positive improvement of the AntiCables. Again I think the quality and minimal grain structure of the better wire in the AC's is what helps them sound as good as they do.

Poultrygeist
08-31-2011, 08:43 AM
I've only used in amps and speaker internals but it would probably work fine.

JohnMichael
08-31-2011, 10:07 AM
I've only used in amps and speaker internals but it would probably work fine.

I am not sure what you are saying. What have you only used in amps and speaker internals?

JohnMichael
08-31-2011, 10:10 AM

Have you read anything good since?

JohnMichael
09-01-2011, 07:00 PM
I have to say this cable is very neutral from top to bottom. There is no smearing of the bass. Midrange is pure without the usual mush from stranded cables. The highs are clear and extended without any tizziness or distortion.

I used to follow the AQ belief that 20 gauge is the cable that frequecies all travel at the same speed. I have owned several AQ cables that used multiple 20 gauge solid core conductors and I now say one solid 12 gauge conductor does the job much better.

Simpler is better.

JohnMichael
09-08-2011, 07:50 PM
While enjoying the Anti's I began to be displeased with the DNM Resons I was using from the SA8001 to the Krell. Imaging was good but almost to good. More 2d cutout images. I replaced them with the AlphaCore Micropurls and all is well again. I am still using the AlphaCore TQ2 from phono preamp to the Krell. The AntiCables sure let you know what the rest of the system is up to and where problems may be.

frenchmon
09-10-2011, 03:27 AM
While enjoying the Anti's I began to be displeased with the DNM Resons I was using from the SA8001 to the Krell. Imaging was good but almost to good. More 2d cutout images. I replaced them with the AlphaCore Micropurls and all is well again. I am still using the AlphaCore TQ2 from phono preamp to the Krell. The AntiCables sure let you know what the rest of the system is up to and where problems may be.

Any thought about an all Anti Cable system? Its surely affordable.

JohnMichael
09-10-2011, 03:59 AM
Any thought about an all Anti Cable system? Its surely affordable.

I will be trying his IC's soon.

FLZapped
09-11-2011, 04:50 AM
The Difference
The Anti-Cable wire is made of one solid piece of highly annealed, super long drawn, Continuously Cast Oxygen Free Copper.

This describes exactly the drawing process for any wire, including and especially magnet wire. This also discounts any idea that the wire has any special grain properties.

Oh, and did you also notice that the inductance drops by more than half when they are twisted, like most real speaker wire? Gee, why is that.....probably because the shunt capacitance is increased...odd, huh, because they also claimed that was a bad thing.

They also claim their cable to be oxygen free. What's the difference. Standard wire, also called ETP, and OF have *exactly* the same IACS conductivity. The O2 difference is 0.02 - 0.04% vs 0.001% respectively - ten times less of nothing, in this case.

Snake oil.

-Bruce

FLZapped
09-11-2011, 04:55 AM
Other than chopping up cheap extension cords do you have any real experience with cables? Also if you are happy with your cables please go enjoy them. I am only sharing my experiences. You have made it clear you do not approve of my choice so since your point is made there is no point for you to post again.

It isn't a matter of approving of your choice. It is yours to make, however, it is based only on speculation and nothing tangible.

-Bruce

JohnMichael
09-11-2011, 05:11 AM
FL did not know you had a dog in the fight. My point is I am enjoying the improvements the cables have brought to my system. My only complaint is people who have never heard them telling me I do not hear the improvements. Or some stranded extension cord cables would be better. I am just sharing my happiness with the members and visitors. My cables by the way are not twisted but I do plan on trying that in the future. Will report back.

FLZapped
09-11-2011, 05:44 AM
FL did not know you had a dog in the fight. My point is I am enjoying the improvements the cables have brought to my system. My only complaint is people who have never heard them telling me I do not hear the improvements. Or some stranded extension cord cables would be better. I am just sharing my happiness with the members and visitors. My cables by the way are not twisted but I do plan on trying that in the future. Will report back.

What? Is this a place to exchange and debate ideas, or not? What does a dog in any fight have to do with that. Is it because I am coming down on the side of hard evidence that upsets you so? That there is no science to back up you subjective claim?

I am not telling you that you do not *hear* improvements, I am saying they are based on some internally developed emotional expectation. If your life depended on it and you had to actually prove that they make a quantifiable, repeatable difference, you cannot. You at least ought to be honest enough to admit this to the readers.

If you are happy, great! It is your system, your money. I am just pointing out that there is no way you can objectively present any evidence that what you are hearing actually exists.

-Bruce

JohnMichael
09-11-2011, 06:02 AM
What? Is this a place to exchange and debate ideas, or not? What does a dog in any fight have to do with that. Is it because I am coming down on the side of hard evidence that upsets you so? That there is no science to back up you subjective claim?

I am not telling you that you do not *hear* improvements, I am saying they are based on some internally developed emotional expectation. If your life depended on it and you had to actually prove that they make a quantifiable, repeatable difference, you cannot. You at least ought to be honest enough to admit this to the readers.

If you are happy, great! It is your system, your money. I am just pointing out that there is no way you can objectively present any evidence that what you are hearing actually exists.

-Bruce

I have never said that my views are anymore than based on cables I have heard before. As we all know not everything can be explained by science yet. Hard science aside in my sytem they make an audible improvement and that is proof enough for me. I would rather listen to my cables than to your theories.

Oh and again I am not upset. I am amused. I am not arguing science just my increased joy with my music. I am sharing experiences and not out to change anyones mind as no one will change my mind. Let's be honest and say that cables, transistors vs. tubes and planar vs. dynamic speakers will always have strong opinions on both sides. I could no more say that someone should not like a speaker based on science or someone who likes tubes likes one type of distortion over another.

Poultrygeist
09-11-2011, 08:23 AM
Without a difference of opinion or free exchange of ideas audio forums would serve no purpose yet there are those who are less open to debate than others. My comments expressed in this thread, which I thought innocent enough, have resulted in a threat to have me banned. I expect this post to be deleted.

JohnMichael
09-11-2011, 10:07 AM
Without a difference of opinion or free exchange of ideas audio forums would serve no purpose yet there are those who are less open to debate than others. My comments expressed in this thread, which I thought innocent enough, have resulted in a threat to have me banned. I expect this post to be deleted.

Now you have not been threatened with a ban. You PM'ed me that you would be watching me about if I liked alternate opinions. I replied I would be watching you to see if you negatively post so many times in another's thread. The word banned was never used. At the time I felt you made your point and then wanted to continue banging that drum.

I am not a scientist or electrical engineer but an audio hobbyist who is pleased with a particular cable. I was sharing my joy. Sharing the positive changes I have heard. So far several members have told me I do not hear what I do accept in my mind. I would welcome disagreement with someone who has heard the cables and did not like them compared to someone who speculates they would not like them.

To ease your paranoia I would not ban you. If I was feeling truly harassed I would take the issue to my sister and brother mods and let them decide proper action. Not only did I not delete your post I quoted it.

JohnMichael
09-18-2011, 06:20 AM
Well last night I finally twisted the AntiCables. I noticed an improvement in detail and high frequency extension. I would almost say the sound was a little sweeter but I do not hear any colorations with the cables. I think I may be hearing more of the true nature of the Krell.

The cables have been a lot of fun to experiment with and listen through. I can see the advantages of having Paul create a bi-amp pair shotgunned and twisted. While the two spades stacked on top of one another fit the Krell's speaker binding posts I think a single spade with the two wires soldered to it would be easier. I am also thinking Paul's twisting might be a little more consistent than mine. Even with my twisting it is easy to hear the benefits of twisting the cables.

All this for less than I will be spending tonight to see Lewis Black and a nice dinner. This hobby is a lot of fun.

JohnMichael
09-21-2011, 06:40 PM
I tried the AntiCables twisted and bi-wired with the Monitor Audio RS6's and I have to say what an improvement. Much of the improvement heard with the OML1's happened for the RS6's. Any sonic confusion with the bass driver with the mid and high frequency driver is gone. The speaker sounds much more integrated than before. What I thought were cabinet colorations/vibrations now seem to be problems from the Audioquest Slate bi-wires I had been using.

Back to listening.

Poultrygeist
09-22-2011, 06:58 AM
Since this thread has now been unlocked I can finally respond and set the record straight.

JohnMichael, I did not PM you first. You PM'd me FIRST and expressed your utter dissatisfaction with my comments in this thread. My response to your personal message was "why the burr under your saddle?" We exchanged several PM's after that and there was the implied threat of a ban if I continued to post in this manner.

JohnMichael, I hope you are man enough to not delete this post or lock the thread with no chance to respond like you did before. We'll see.

JohnMichael
09-22-2011, 07:48 AM
Since this thread has now been unlocked I can finally respond and set the record straight.

JohnMichael, I did not PM you first. You PM'd me FIRST and expressed your utter dissatisfaction with my comments in this thread. My response to your personal message was "why the burr under your saddle?" We exchanged several PM's after that and there was the implied threat of a ban if I continued to post in this manner.

JohnMichael, I hope you are man enough to not delete this post or lock the thread with no chance to respond like you did before. We'll see.

Am I man enough? That gives me quite a view to your personality. What does being a man have to do with it? I was annoyed by your posts both in this thread and the int. amp thread where because I held an opinion from experience that I like what I like. You accused me of not supporting differences of opinions when I was only stating what I liked in audio.

Hyfi
09-22-2011, 07:54 AM
Come on guys, I didn't want this thread re-opened to read thru a bunch of whining and crying.

I'm sure the Mods can post the PMs to prove who said what and when but really, who friggin cares.

We all have different opinions and this is a virtual message board where all opinions are supposed to be welcome. If you don't like a post, ignore it.

Please get back to a cable debate.

Luvin Da Blues
09-22-2011, 08:12 AM
Come on guys, I didn't want this thread re-opened to read thru a bunch of whining and crying.

I'm sure the Mods can post the PMs to prove who said what and when but really, who friggin cares.

We all have different opinions and this is a virtual message board where all opinions are supposed to be welcome. If you don't like a post, ignore it.

Please get back to a cable debate.

I'm sure it's this kind of crap that keeps some of us from even posting here anymore. Gotta admit it is entertaining to read tho.

Poultrygeist
09-23-2011, 03:47 AM
If moderators stooped to send attacking personal messages to every member who expressed a difference of opinion this forum would soon be history. Regular posters who bring increased traffic to this site should be encouraged rather than discouraged.

JM, you should try and work on feeling more secure in yourself without the need to lash out when others disagree. You can start by not taking yourself so serious.

Hyfi
09-23-2011, 05:55 AM
Well last night I finally twisted the AntiCables. I noticed an improvement in detail and high frequency extension. I would almost say the sound was a little sweeter but I do not hear any colorations with the cables. I think I may be hearing more of the true nature of the Krell.

I tried the AntiCables twisted and bi-wired with the Monitor Audio RS6's and I have to say what an improvement. Much of the improvement heard with the OML1's happened for the RS6's. Any sonic confusion with the bass driver with the mid and high frequency driver is gone. The speaker sounds much more integrated than before. What I thought were cabinet colorations/vibrations now seem to be problems from the Audioquest Slate bi-wires I had been using.

Back to listening.

JM, It's been fun to read your observations and differences between setups and speakers.

What is interesting about the above two posts is that I understood that if you were going to bi-wire (or bi-amp) the proper method of cabling is large solid core for bass, and lesser gauge twisted pairs for the upper connections.

So by leaving them untwisted, it seems like they had the bass, but the integration with mids and highs was lacking.

After twisting them, you now had more detail in the mids-highs, and probably more detail, clarity and control of the bass but may have lost just a little bottom end slam. That is actually a good thing for me at this time.

I used to want room shaking bass all the time but did not realize what I was missing. Now I much more appreciate clear precise detailed and controlled bass, with proper mids and highs over deep room shaking bass.

So next test is to bi-wire again but use the bass pair untwisted and the top pair twisted.

I am betting on another improvement.

JohnMichael
09-23-2011, 06:02 AM
I am surprised by the transformation the AntiCables have made when used with the Monitor Audio Rs6's. I can now completely agree with the Stereophile review. I almost gave these speakers away to my nephews for college party speakers. Now I will be having the party.

The bass is much deeper and cleaner. Listening to "Raising Sand" the bass was deep, solid and really filled the room. Again what I thought was cabinet resonances was some interaction with the AQ's. The bass being tight and clean I now know it is not room interference.

JohnMichael
09-23-2011, 07:13 AM
Hyfi what a great idea to twist only the cables for the upper frequencies. Your post had me thinking about ordering another pair of AntiCables and using my bi-wire pair for the woofer and the new single wire for the mids/highs. Due to their low price this would be a fun experiment. You have given me some great ideas.

I also wonder what a run of solid core silver for the upper range and copper for the woofer.

As far as the bass is concerned I now have deeper more tuneful bass than I did with the RS6's and AQ combo. Of course not room shaking bass but a very solid foundation. I am really having fun with these cables.

JM, It's been fun to read your observations and differences between setups and speakers.

What is interesting about the above two posts is that I understood that if you were going to bi-wire (or bi-amp) the proper method of cabling is large solid core for bass, and lesser gauge twisted pairs for the upper connections.

So by leaving them untwisted, it seems like they had the bass, but the integration with mids and highs was lacking.

After twisting them, you now had more detail in the mids-highs, and probably more detail, clarity and control of the bass but may have lost just a little bottom end slam. That is actually a good thing for me at this time.

I used to want room shaking bass all the time but did not realize what I was missing. Now I much more appreciate clear precise detailed and controlled bass, with proper mids and highs over deep room shaking bass.

So next test is to bi-wire again but use the bass pair untwisted and the top pair twisted.

I am betting on another improvement.

JohnMichael
10-03-2011, 12:08 PM
I wanted to share this link for another solid core speaker cable that a member PM'ed me. Very similar and I am hoping if he does try them he will share his experience.

JW Audio - Speaker Cables (http://www.jwaudio.net/Speaker-Cables.html)

frenchmon
10-04-2011, 07:28 AM

The cables have been a lot of fun to experiment with and listen through. I can see the advantages of having Paul create a bi-amp pair shotgunned and twisted. While the two spades stacked on top of one another fit the Krell's speaker binding posts I think a single spade with the two wires soldered to it would be easier. I am also thinking Paul's twisting might be a little more consistent than mine. Even with my twisting it is easy to hear the benefits of twisting the cables.

All this for less than I will be spending tonight to see Lewis Black and a nice dinner. This hobby is a lot of fun.

Thats what I am talking about! It really is a lot of fun!

salad 419
10-15-2011, 10:41 AM
I pulled the trigger on some of the JW Audio Cryo Nova Speaker Cables and Jumpers.

Unpacking: The speaker cables came pre-twisted at a 7 foot length. The twists frequency is about one revolution per inch. The wire looks identical to the AntiCables. Since the cables are directional, there is a white stripe for the starting point of the wires. Wow, these wires are not flexible as others have noted.

I honestly can't say much more about my experience that hasn't already been said, but maybe observed a few things that they didn't since I switched from low quality cables.

Disclaimer/Background: First of all, I replaced some cheap Stranded Copper Wire purchased from Wal-Mart, so the quality of these cables probably aren't what you'd call excellent by any means. I have a few different sizes and brands, but didn't really notice a difference between any of said cables. I also have no experience with any other brand of "audiophile" cables or point of reference so my observations could just be that I'm switching to a higher quality cable and you may be able to get similar results from the Wood's Patio Cables, Blue Jeans, MonoPrice or any other quality cable. In my lowly system, the cables made a difference by ear only. My room is probably not even close to being set up properly with treatments. I also have no measuring devices or scientific data to support any of my claims. If I did have the fancy tools to do this, I'd try to support my observations with data.

I did notice a HUGE difference in clarity,separation of instruments, extended highs, more air/ambience, etc. (I should have quoted someone elses posts to get all of the keywords in here, but you've already read them, so let's just say that I agree)

My Observations: The Good: The vocals seemed to move up about 6 inches higher than previous cables and the soundstage was deeper as well. I'm not sure if it is/was a clarity/resolution issue, but it seems that the mids and highs are louder than before. I actually turned the volume down on the pre-amp to get to the same perceived levels.

The Negligible: I didn't really notice any difference in bass response. I can't say that the bass is deeper or tighter. It may be, but it's going to be very slight if at all. Also, the 21L's aren't very bass heavy or extended to begin with and I would probably call them lacking??? I may try switching back to the 22L's some day with the two different cables to see if I notice anything in this area. Another point, my cables were twisted and others have noted that straight wires improved the bass, not twisted.

The Bad: I'm hearing some "noise" in my system, now that I didn't hear before. For lack of a better adjective, just think of the old tape hiss from your cassette players. It's not nearly as loud as the tape hiss of yesteryear, but if you focus too much on it, it'll drive you crazy.

To be determined/More Testing Needed: Previously, I noticed that at higher volumes the sound started getting congested/boxy/colored/compressed?? I've only really turned up the volume once since I've gotten these cables and it was for a short time. I will say that the sound issue is better, but don't know how much better or if the problem is resolved. Also, it may be more of a room issue than a system issue. I'll report back when I get around to turning up the volume, again.

Conclusion: If you're in the market for new cables. I'll also recommend the AntiCables, JW Audio or Magnet Wire Cables. Although, if you're running a system that tends to sound brighter, the cables may push things over the top???

JohnMichael
10-15-2011, 01:28 PM
Thanks salad 419 for your review. I agree with much of what you found with the change in cables. Amazing for a cable that is so simple in design.

You mentioned noise and with that additional clarity noise would be more obvious. I reduced my systems noise floor by using a Monster Cable surge protector/filter. I also turn off fluorescent lights for critical listening. As suggested by Absolute Sound I do not have any light dimmers and another concern that I need to test is the Compact Flouescent Lights. I am wondering if they have the potential of adding noise.

Looking forward to more posts of your experiences with the wires in the weeks to come.

JohnMichael
12-02-2011, 07:14 AM
I have lived with the AntiCables for awhile now. Last night I heard the first non musical sound. On Madeleine Peyroux's "Dreamland" I noticed in the song Muddy Water that there is a triangle being played and it sounded a little distorted. I checked with another cable and the sound was gone with the other cable. I might have noticed it earlier if I had been using the OML1's more. Love those silk dome tweeters.

JohnMichael
12-09-2011, 10:26 AM
The cables I own combine differently with different speakers. The RS6's sound best with AntiCables speaker cables and the DNM Reson IC's while the OML1's sound best with the AudioQuest Slates and the AlphaCore TQ2 IC's. The AlphaCore Micropurl IC's are used all the time from the Fanfare to the Krell. I am keeping notes these days about the best combinations of equipment and cables.

frenchmon
12-09-2011, 10:40 AM
So did the anti cable malfunction ?

JohnMichael
12-09-2011, 11:27 AM
So did the anti cable malfunction ?

No I would not say they malfunctioned at all. I am not sure if they have a high frequency resonance or the OML's soft dome has a resonance that the combination causes the distortion I heard. The AntiCables did not have this problem with the RS6's metal dome tweeter. The AntiCables were great with the Monitor Audio speakers. I am glad I have the AntiCables and will use them when I am playing the M A RS6's. The Krell, RS6's and AntiCables work well together especially when I fire up the Black Eyed Peas about 1 AM to send a message to those below me who might be partying a little too loud. The OML1's do not have the bass to deliver the message.

Also the sound of the AQ Slates that sounded thick with the RS6's make the OML1's a little more filled out in the bass range.

frenchmon
12-12-2011, 04:44 PM
JM...thought of you as I read this thread.

Speaker Asylum (http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/vt.mpl?f=speakers&m=311564)

texlle
12-12-2011, 05:41 PM
JM, did you have the later, multi-stranded AQ Slates in the black jacket? I just picked up a 12" pair from a local on craigslist for use with my 603's and just want to get an opinion on some positive qualities of these cables, if possible. ;)

I upgraded from standard wal-mart 14 gauge wire and noticed right away that the AQ cables are terrible out of the box. I assume they were unused when I bought them from the first owner as they have opened up substantially after two weeks. At first, the upper range sounded veiled, if not blanketed, mid-bass around 200-250Hz was over-proportioned and almost boomy. When I moved to the seductive Rotel from the harsh yet precise Yamaha a week before getting the AQ's, I was really enjoying the open and airy nature offered by the Rotel. The AQ slates seemed to take that away completely. The music was extremely closed-in, as if the various instruments were being performed in a tight huddle.

After a few days, the soundstage opened up a bit and some of the airiness returned, but it still seemed a little concentrated. The highs opened up as well- far smoother than the wal-mart cable. Bass is definitely "thicker"- say fuller and just as tight, which was nice.

Now having used them for two full weeks, the tonal balance has shifted upward, away from the 500-1000 Hz range and more toward the area of 1500-3000. Much more balanced overall. The boomy mid-bass has toned itself down, the highs have broken free, and the midrange has gained depth. Soundstaging is still more narrow than I generally prefer, but it seems to be improving by the day, even still. Depth is sensational. Definitely moved the focal point back about 7-10 rows from the front and center stage I'm used to by the B&W's presentation.

Overall, I'm quite satisfied by my purchase. Though the bass does seem a tad embellished, I've written off any further mid-bass boom to crappy acoustics of the house that I wasn't bought out by the wal-mart cables. My favorite album thus far has been Natalie Cole's unforgettable. Her voice hits in that sweet range of 2kHz that really sings with the AQ's. The piano is true, with no glare or roll off thanks to slightly curtailed/smoothed out highs. Brass is bold and weighty. So far, so good!

JohnMichael
12-12-2011, 06:42 PM
JM, did you have the later, multi-stranded AQ Slates in the black jacket? I just picked up a 12" pair from a local on craigslist for use with my 603's and just want to get an opinion on some positive qualities of these cables, if possible. ;)

I upgraded from standard wal-mart 14 gauge wire and noticed right away that the AQ cables are terrible out of the box. I assume they were unused when I bought them from the first owner as they have opened up substantially after two weeks. At first, the upper range sounded veiled, if not blanketed, mid-bass around 200-250Hz was over-proportioned and almost boomy. When I moved to the seductive Rotel from the harsh yet precise Yamaha a week before getting the AQ's, I was really enjoying the open and airy nature offered by the Rotel. The AQ slates seemed to take that away completely. The music was extremely closed-in, as if the various instruments were being performed in a tight huddle.

After a few days, the soundstage opened up a bit and some of the airiness returned, but it still seemed a little concentrated. The highs opened up as well- far smoother than the wal-mart cable. Bass is definitely "thicker"- say fuller and just as tight, which was nice.

Now having used them for two full weeks, the tonal balance has shifted upward, away from the 500-1000 Hz range and more toward the area of 1500-3000. Much more balanced overall. The boomy mid-bass has toned itself down, the highs have broken free, and the midrange has gained depth. Soundstaging is still more narrow than I generally prefer, but it seems to be improving by the day, even still. Depth is sensational. Definitely moved the focal point back about 7-10 rows from the front and center stage I'm used to by the B&W's presentation.

Overall, I'm quite satisfied by my purchase. Though the bass does seem a tad embellished, I've written off any further mid-bass boom to crappy acoustics of the house that I wasn't bought out by the wal-mart cables. My favorite album thus far has been Natalie Cole's unforgettable. Her voice hits in that sweet range of 2kHz that really sings with the AQ's. The piano is true, with no glare or roll off thanks to slightly curtailed/smoothed out highs. Brass is bold and weighty. So far, so good!

My AudioQuest Slates are solid core not stranded. There are a total of eight solid core wires per run. Mine are also bi-wired with 4positive and 4 negative lengths connecting at the amp end and at the speaker wire there are two solid core cables for both low and high frequency and both positive and negative.

The sound is smooth and well focused.

daviethek
12-12-2011, 08:26 PM
Glad you like them John, I have had them in for years now. I am so used to them I occasionally take them out and replace with Axiom multi strand, Mapleshade or AR cable I still have. The Anti Cables end up back in there by a comfortable margin.

The red coating is an atomically bonded surface treatment similar to annealing or parkerizing. It is probably applied during hot working of the wire. The coating may be thin but it is effective and very tough. It took an impressive amount of scraping and sanding to remove the coating from one end of the wire set when I went to bare wire hook up. This bears no resemblance whatsoever to magnet wire. This is a sophisticated product with some thought behind it.

It is a neutral cable that has no shortcoming that I can appreciate. I wasn't too thrilled about his IC's however. For IC's I ended up with the Morrow audio product. So when it comes to speaker cables, the Anti's were the best 100.00 I have ever spent and the Morrow IC's were the best 39.00 I ever spent. I am cheap so these were painful purchases.

Well engineered products can rise to the top in the internet world.

JohnMichael
12-24-2011, 05:31 PM
I was concerned about some slight distortion in the high frequencies but the distortion is only audible with the DNM Resaon IC's in use. They have no shielding at all and I am very close to a radio station who months ago increased the power of their transmitter. I do hear the distortion with other speaker cables but as soon as I switch to the AlphaCore TQ2 the distortion is gone. The AntiCables were not the problem.

Mr Peabody
01-17-2012, 08:48 AM
I ordered a set of AntiCables Reference IC's. I had the privilege of talking with Paul a bit, he is an EE who works in the Telecom arena so has experience getting signals from one place to another. He also designed the crossover for the Gilmour loudspeakers. I certainly came away with the impression he knows what he is doing and does extensive experimenting. Much of his new products are sold by word of mouth and used for a year or more before he puts them on the website. For instance, unless something has changed recently the "Reference" IC's aren't shown yet.

Open debate and exchange of ideas can be good or fun but when people who have not even tried something try to tell you that you imagine things it's insulting and not productive at all. They remind me of those who said the world is flat and could not possibly be round. Some demand science, I demand you try it and you have your science, nothing lost you have a 30 day return. If audio is all based on expectations I would certainly try to convince myself cheaper gear sound better. Hmmmm.... maybe it's not us who is imagining things :)

frenchmon
01-17-2012, 10:20 AM
I ordered a set of AntiCables Reference IC's. I had the privilege of talking with Paul a bit, he is an EE who works in the Telecom arena so has experience getting signals from one place to another. He also designed the crossover for the Gilmour loudspeakers. I certainly came away with the impression he knows what he is doing and does extensive experimenting. Much of his new products are sold by word of mouth and used for a year or more before he puts them on the website. For instance, unless something has changed recently the "Reference" IC's aren't shown yet.

Open debate and exchange of ideas can be good or fun but when people who have not even tried something try to tell you that you imagine things it's insulting and not productive at all. They remind me of those who said the world is flat and could not possibly be round. Some demand science, I demand you try it and you have your science, nothing lost you have a 30 day return. If audio is all based on expectations I would certainly try to convince myself cheaper gear sound better. Hmmmm.... maybe it's not us who is imagining things :)

I guess its time to update your sig. :3:

JohnMichael
01-17-2012, 10:36 AM
I agree Mr. Peabody. Until you have heard a product one can only speculate.

I mentioned a hint of distortion in the highs and now I wonder if that signaled the beginning of the troubles with the Krell. The increased distortion I was hearing I now think was the amp and not the cables. When the Krell is back the AntiCables will be the cables of choice again.

Mr Peabody
01-27-2012, 06:36 AM
I received my AntiCable Reference IC's. I picked up the box they came in and it felt empty to me, then I opened up the box, and, lets say the cables didn't make a good impression from what I was used to seeing of other cables, the Ac were just a thin twist of wire connected to plastic ends. The "plastic ends" were actually Eichmann bullet RCA which are said to be very good. The proof was in the performance, the AC's replaced a set of entry Transparent IC's I was using until the AC's came in. The AC's provided immediate better resolution, focus, and gave a more realistic image to instruments. The bass may have been a bit more punchy with the Transparent but the AC was better in every other way, the bass had more bloom with the AC which may give the the impression of less punch, that or the much more midrange detail. The Reference IC's use silver conductors, I'd recommend any one with bad experience with silver to give the AC's a try, Paul Speltz says the purity of the silver is the key to making silver a good sounding material and he worked with his cables until he found the correct balance.

Paul's theory is cables sound different from each other due to the dielectric used, the dielectric can also cause capacitance, the same for shielding. I thought this a very reasonable explanation why some of us hear differences.

I already put the Siltech between my phono preamp and preamp but if I get energetic one day I may pull them for a direct comparison but from memory and knowing the differences between them and the Transparent I'm confident the AC's would still be best. The Siltech is better than the Transparent but they are also a level up as well.

frenchmon
01-27-2012, 07:33 AM
And what is the price difference between the Siltech MXT Pro New Yorker and the Anti Cable Reference?

Im sure its hundreds and he AC best them?!?!?!?!?!

LeRoy
01-28-2012, 12:38 PM
JM and Mr. P., thanks for the insight on the AC's. I will have to keep them in mind should I decide to begin a cable search. Have a nice day fellas.

LeRoy

Jack in Wilmington
01-28-2012, 01:31 PM
Mr P. where did the AC's go in your setup? You said they replaced the Transparent cables and you moved the Siltech's to between the phono pre and the pre right. Is that where the Transparent cables were before? I tried a pair of "The Link" cables in my system, but I never tried anything farther up the ladder.

JohnMichael
02-25-2012, 08:31 PM
The AntiCable speaker cables are back in the system. After the Krell came back from service I wanted to hear it with everything in the system to which I had been listening. The Krell is sounding great and it was easy to realize I liked the OML 1's over the RS6's. Then once I was used to the sound of the OML 1's in the system it was time to bring back the AntiCables. All is sounding wonderful tonight.

Hyfi
02-26-2012, 08:33 AM
The AntiCable speaker cables are back in the system. After the Krell came back from service I wanted to hear it with everything in the system to which I had been listening. The Krell is sounding great and it was easy to realize I liked the OML 1's over the RS6's. Then once I was used to the sound of the OML 1's in the system it was time to bring back the AntiCables. All is sounding wonderful tonight.

Good deal JM. I have secretly been drooling over your Krell since the day it came out and $2500 was a far out dream to spend. I keep thinking about what I would do when forced to downsize. It might be a Krell and a Tube Integrated to switch with.

I finally bi-amped my Clearfields this morning. Not a match in amps by any means but a fun experiment. I have the woofers driven by my Stratos and the uppers with the Counterpoint. Im using $$$Synergystic cables with the CP and $Tara Labs Prism with the Stratos.

Been letting it warm up and sink in before I sit and listen.

LeRoy
03-19-2012, 05:36 AM
I ordered 2 pair of IC's Eichmann and 2 pair of speaker wire from A.C. I plan to use one set of each on the MiniWatt/System Audio/Marantz DVD 6001 set up in the living room. I will try the second set on the Rogue/Stello/Dali Ikon 2 mk2 set up, The Dali's are a recent purchase.

I will A/B against the Virtue Audio speaker cable I got about 3 weeks ago.

LeRoy
03-20-2012, 05:35 PM
Update: I got my Anti-Cables wire sets in today. Two pairs of IC's with Eichmann bullet plugs and two pairs of speaker wire. I only have the IC's in play right now with the Rogue, Stello units, and Dali Ikon 2 mk2 speakers.

At first glance the bullet plugs look cheap. The spiral wire guide that protects and hold the signal wire looks really pretty...like a christmas wrapping or ornament. The signal wire itself....looks awfully alike to the Radio Shack 30 gauge Magnet Wire that I have mentioned before on other posts. I still have the R.S. wire on hand in a drawer and will have a closer look at the RS wire next to the other IC set I have.

Ajani
03-20-2012, 06:33 PM
The signal wire itself....looks awfully alike to the Radio Shack 30 gauge Magnet Wire that I have mentioned before on other posts. I still have the R.S. wire on hand in a drawer and will have a closer look at the RS wire next to the other IC set I have.

Please let us know how that comparison goes. Especially whether the Anti-Cables sound the same as the magnet wire. It's clear that Anti-Cables are essentially magnet wire, but the question is whether there is something special about the wire in Anti-Cables versus generic magnet wire.

LeRoy
04-06-2012, 08:19 AM
First and foremost I have to give a great deal of praise for the excellent customer service provided to me by the entire A/C staff. My order inquiries, processing, and return of goods was handled by a great deal of courtesy and professionalism.

With regard to my experience with A/C- I wound up returning the 10ft pair of speaker wire and both pairs of I.C's. Even though Paul S. was willing to take back the 6 ft. speaker wire set I still needed something for the MiniWatt so I kept them.

The reason for my return is that for my rig and my subjective tastes I simply preferred the cables from Neko Audio. My Neko I.C.'s are XLR out with RCA input to the Rogue.

I listend to the A/C I.C. with a variety of music for 2 weeks through the Rogue. After the initial 24 hour break in I did enjoy what I was hearing....neutrality, separation/space, and unfortunately also some distortion was in the system that I had not noticed before. The A/C cable is very transparent and apparently also delivered whatever distortion my rig is giving out. Of course this is no fault of the A/C.

However, after a couple of weeks the frequency of hearing such distortion was increasing and with a variety of music that I had never heard such distortion before.

My Stello DAC has three outputs all of which can be utilized, XLR out, RCA out, and Toslink out. I had the Neko XLR out to Rogue CD input, and A/C RCA to the Aux 1 Rouge input. All is takes is a turn on the dial on the DAC and Rogue to switch input signals and I don't have to turn anything off..the music just keeps playing.

To my ears the Neko not only met the best attributes of the A/C but also surpassed it. In addition to the detail retrieval, space/separation I also got a richer tonal palate in the mids, warmth with romance, more bass depth and weight, and a presentation that is pushed forward toward the listener. I bought the Neko a couple of years ago and it's a 2 ft set. I think I paid like $67 for the set.

Bottom line: I am sticking with the Neko cable. It's the best cable my ears have heard in a system to date.

With regard to speaker wire. I did not use the 10 ft run and the 6 ft run is on the MiniWatt and I have to spend more time with that before I can comment on it.

JohnMichael
04-06-2012, 10:24 AM
Cables are certainly system dependent. I can hear differences in cables but it takes time to decide if the differences are an improvement. I am glad to read you received good customer service.

I either need to solder the wires on one lug at the amp end or buy a banana that will clamp on both lugs for my bi wire pair. I was listening and one lug came off the amps terminal. All of a sudden no midrange or treble in one speaker. Fearing a short I am back to the AQ's until I create a solution so I only have one lug under each terminal.

I think the clarity of the AntiCables helped me hear the distortion that was building and indicated my amp needed repair.

No wire is perfect but the AntiCables are great for their price. My only very minimal criticism is I hear a reduction in instrumental textures. When I put some of my stranded cables in the system I hear more space and air but the sound is less focused. On some recordings I hear almost what I would call ghost images. I like the more focused soundstage.

LeRoy
04-07-2012, 08:26 PM
JM, sorry to hear about your A/C cables becoming unhinged. Thats a bummer for sure. Yes, I agree with your assessment of a reduction of texture from the A/C wire. When I did a/b with the A/C vs Neko, the A/C sounded dry and somewhat mechanical but not sterile while the Neko gave the system presentation some warmth, emotion, texture, and a different kind of flow that I can only describe as sounding right to me.

Well, I hope you get the A/C cables fixed and back in the music chain. Have a great Easter Holiday.

eisforelectronic
04-22-2012, 03:14 AM
I replaced my Anti-cables with Audio Quest Gibraltar. There's a huge price difference, so I would say the Anti's still win for bang for your buck. I am happier with the sound I get from the Audio Quest's though.

JohnMichael
04-30-2012, 11:02 AM
You can well guess what I was doing when one of the bananas at the speaker side of my AQ Slates pulled free from the wire. Oh **** it had not been a good audio day. So I decide to grab a pair of the AntiCables and was only going to single wire.

Since for ease and the hope of no more damage I opted to single wire I needed to untwist a biwire pair. Being late and lazy I did not twist. When I first hooked up the cables in biwire I had not twisted them. I will not twist them again.

Untwisted I lost that glassy sound I noticed with the cables twisted. I had also complained about a loss of instrumental textures and they were back. Twisting may brighten the sound but in my system non twisted gives me more of what I want. Now I will be the only thing twisted in my audio room.

JohnMichael
05-07-2012, 06:32 PM
Bi-wire is back and still no twist to the cables. I am amazed by the sonic degradation of the metal plate jumpers. My advice is to not twist the cables. The sound was a little brighter but the lack of detail caused by the glassiness and lack of instrumental textures was not worth it. If you try these do not twist.

JohnMichael
12-24-2012, 05:53 PM
My new speakers the JBL Studio 530's benefit from the AntiCables and are back in the mix. My new speakers are a bargain at the sale price I purchased them and the AC cables are an equal deal. The combo is very amazing.