Cheap Trick has 'stage fright' [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Trick has 'stage fright'

ForeverAutumn
08-03-2011, 07:03 AM
Can't say that I blame them actually. I don't know if this made news in the US but it was big news here when the stage that Cheap Trick was playing on at an outdoor festival in Ottawa collapsed. The band managed to get off the stage before the roof collapsed onto it, but a lot of their equipment was damaged and, I think, one staff member was injured.

Anyhow, this is in the news today...

American rock band Cheap Trick has cancelled a September performance in Vancouver because the stage was to be provided by the same company responsible for a stage that collapsed on the band during a show in Ottawa last month.

In a written release, the band said staging for the concert scheduled for Sept. 1 at the Pacific National Exhibition was to be provided by Mega-Stage.

The band says it will not "as a matter of principle, but more importantly, as a matter of safety," appear on a Mega-Stage in the future.

The band says all possible alternatives for the Vancouver concert have been explored and exhausted by the band and promoter, "leaving Cheap Trick with no other option than to cancel their Sept. 1 engagement."

Tickets are refundable at point-of-purchase.

Members of Cheap Trick narrowly escaped injury when the main stage at the Ottawa Bluesfest collapsed just moments after the band left the stage during a violent windstorm.

The band has called for a full investigation and accounting of what went wrong.

nobody
08-03-2011, 08:11 AM
Will be interesting if it was the stage or the installation that went wrong.

On one hand, I can't really say I blame them for not wanting to take chances. On the other, if these same stages have been fine for a long time and many uses by others, it could well be a fluke or a bad install.

or maybe Bun E. Carlos just needs to lay off the donuts

bobsticks
08-14-2011, 04:20 AM
When I got home and heard the news about the Sugarland show I had to wonder if it wasn't Mega-Stage that was involved. We'll see how that unfolds.

ForeverAutumn
08-14-2011, 05:49 AM
What happened at the Sugarland show?

MindGoneHaywire
08-14-2011, 09:40 AM
Indiana State Fair Stage Collapse - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRkdwrmzYXg)

ForeverAutumn
08-14-2011, 07:16 PM
Holy crap!!!

noddin0ff
08-15-2011, 04:31 AM
Whoa... I couldn't get the link above to work but this vid did

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/63GKrWWF5d8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

bobsticks
08-15-2011, 06:04 AM
It was a weird night. I was downtown, though not at the Sugarland show, and I arrived home to find my patio furniture halfway across the backyard. The front yard was, however, completely unmolested. The theory that aberrant gusting caused this makes sense to me given the evidence (albeit anecdotal).

Mr MidFi
08-15-2011, 09:41 AM
I read that story this morning. They listed the names of those killed, and I think one of them was a guy I went to grade school with (I spent most of my childhood in Indy). The Chicago woman killed was a fairly prominent gay-rights activist around here.