what speakers to get - JBL, KRK, Polk or Other? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : what speakers to get - JBL, KRK, Polk or Other?

vibe
08-02-2011, 10:19 PM
I am looking to buy a pair of bookshelf/monitor speakers that I will use for producing electronic music - primarily trance, dubstep and electro house. They would be in a approx 14x15 room. Sound and bass levels (consideration of neighbors) is not an issue.

So long story short, I have a friend that works for polk, and a friend for JBL/KRK, and I am able to get certain speakers at a special price. These speakers are
JBL: es20, csb6, es30, l810 and l810ch
Polk: rti a1 and the rti a3
KRK: RP8G2, RP6G2-NA

If I was to get something other than those models, my spending limit would be £150/$250. I am open to other suggestions in the price range if anyone can recommend some that would be better/more suited for production needs. Also if anyone has any questions to ask that would help make a recommendation easier, feel free.

Ajani
08-03-2011, 04:38 AM
Are you looking for passive or active monitors? The KRK are actives while the JBL and Polks are passive.

blackraven
08-03-2011, 03:31 PM
Take a look at Monitor Audio BX and RX lines, Wharfdale Diamond 10.1 and 10.2's which are nice British speakers.

harley .guy07
08-03-2011, 04:41 PM
All three brands have good and bad models. Honestly JBL and Polk aren't quite the companies that they once were years ago as far as the product they make. That being said your spending limit is not that high either which limits what brands you are going to realistically be able to afford. Forget Dynaudio and speakers in their territory but out of the three mentioned the Krk speakers has seemed to get the best reviews and press of late. I think Polk and JBL speakers are still rated ok for theater use but for dedicated audio the Krk's would be my choice not knowing the rest of your system.

filecat13
08-03-2011, 05:29 PM
None of those are truly mixing or mastering monitors, so if by "producing" you mean mixing and mastering music to be sold or shared, none of them is really a great choice. The JBL CSB6 would be the choice I'd make among the options listed, but it's not really up to the task, either,

If by "producing" you mean composing and playing just for your personal enjoyment and listening, then some of them might work okay. I'd be more inclined to like the above-mentiond JBL in that scenario.

At that price level, Polk would be off my list.

Ideasman
09-01-2011, 05:27 PM
Having worked in the staging / event production industry for 20 years would recommend reconsidering JBL thier driver technology has degraded over the last few decades to now nothing more than robust chinese imports housed in blow moulded boxes we have found them to have phase issues and bad low end reproduction

2low2rl
09-15-2011, 10:05 PM
Im a fan of jbl