My DIY equipment rack [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : My DIY equipment rack

Feanor
07-29-2011, 02:43 PM
I just complete a new, DIY equipment rack: see pics below.

My requirement was for a compact, single-column rack that could accommodate all components; also, make it as easy as possible to swap equipment and reconnect cables. Aesthetics weren't a big concern but I preferred that it be reasonably presentable. In addition, the rack had to cheap.

I wanted a couple of specific features that aren't necessarily easy to find.

Adjustable shelf which I figured I needed to hold all equipment in a compact format, and
Wheels so the rack could be move in aid of easy recabling.
I think all requirements are met. The finish isn't furniture grade but reasonable -- I'm very likely to repaint to a color other than yellow. :)

http://gallery.audioreview.com/data/audio//500/Nikon_065_X1_.jpg
http://gallery.audioreview.com/data/audio//500/Nikon_066_X1_.jpg

atomicAdam
07-29-2011, 02:57 PM
Nice!

Like the bottom a lot.

Feanor
07-29-2011, 03:38 PM
Nice!

Like the bottom a lot.
Thanks. I wanted a good stable base given that the unit is on casters and will be rolled occasionally. The base members are all just construction grade 2x6; the vertical members are 3/4" plywood; the shelves either 1/2 or 3/4" MDF.

frenchmon
07-30-2011, 05:44 AM
Nice Feanor! Good job!

Feanor
07-30-2011, 06:47 AM
Nice Feanor! Good job!
Thanks, Frenchmon,

It's working well. It was easy to accomodate everything given the adjustable shelves and the fact that I could install cables, them roll it back tight against the shelf unit behind.

The shelfs are supported by standard 1/4" shelf holders that plug into 1/4" holes I drilled in the plywood verticals.

Current equipment complement is, top to bottom:
Technics SL-D2 t/t with Denon DL-110 cartridge
TCC TC-750 phono preamp
Denon TU-767 tuner
Sony SCD-775CE SACD player
eBay generic Wolfson WM8740-based DAC
Sonic Frontiers Line 1 preamp, (not currently connected)
Jolida JD50A passive preamp
Belkin Pure AV mains filter and power manager
Class D Audio SDS-258 power amp

poppachubby
07-30-2011, 12:49 PM
I love it, nice work. Is the design solely yours? If so it's very well thought out. BTW what's that thing on the top? :ihih:

Feanor
07-30-2011, 02:22 PM
I love it, nice work. Is the design solely yours? If so it's very well thought out. BTW what's that thing on the top? :ihih:
Yes, the design is soley mine. It's quite simple and easy to build -- it needed to be since I don't have much in terms of skill or woodworking tools.

Most of the lumber was cut at Home Deport. I did shape the base extensions myself with a hand jigsaw.

The thing on top? I'm not sure: it hasn't been used in quite a while.

harley .guy07
08-02-2011, 08:56 AM
I am good with wood and have thought about doing something like that myself but have not got around to it. I would bet the piece you built is better than one of the $1000 dollar racks on audio adviser and is built twice as well and twice as strong. If I ever got another rack for my setup I think I would build it myself as well since there is no point in pissing money away when you have the ability to do it yourself.

harley .guy07
08-02-2011, 08:57 AM
By the way I forgot to say it looks good! What are going to do paint it, stain it. I am just curious.

Feanor
08-02-2011, 10:21 AM
By the way I forgot to say it looks good! What are going to do paint it, stain it. I am just curious.
Presently, excepting the shelves, the unit is painted with some yellow, "satin" finish latex which I happened to have around. The wood isn't matched and isn't nicely filled & sanded, so transparent or semi-trans stain wouldn't work.

I might paint it a different color, say a brown, (not black!), but I'm too cheap to layout 15 bucks for a quart of custom mix -- perhaps I'll wait for a sale

Feanor
08-02-2011, 10:28 AM
I am good with wood and have thought about doing something like that myself but have not got around to it. I would bet the piece you built is better than one of the $1000 dollar racks on audio adviser and is built twice as well and twice as strong. If I ever got another rack for my setup I think I would build it myself as well since there is no point in pissing money away when you have the ability to do it yourself.
Hand tools was all I had to work with -- no table saw or drill press which would have be nice. Consequenlty the design had to accomodate imprecise cutting and drilling. This fact, together with the need for adjustability and movebility, necessitated a little thought but the resulting design ended up being very simple.

The unit is strong, stable, and reasonably vibration-free, IMO.

TheHills44060
08-04-2011, 09:46 AM
Super duper rack Feanor. A new paint job will really set it off. The adjustable racks are an invaluable touch too.

The only other thing i would have like to have seen is for it to be slightly wider...just wide enough to fit the sonic frontiers item so you could push it back a bit so it's flush to the front of the rack. Pretty picky i know.

Feanor
08-05-2011, 06:40 AM
Super duper rack Feanor. A new paint job will really set it off. The adjustable racks are an invaluable touch too.

The only other thing i would have like to have seen is for it to be slightly wider...just wide enough to fit the sonic frontiers item so you could push it back a bit so it's flush to the front of the rack. Pretty picky i know.
Thanks, Hills,

I designed the rack to accommodate standard rack-sized equipment, i.e. inner dimension about 17.5" wide and external with "wings" 19". The Sonic Frontiers is the full 19" even though it isn't drilled for bolt-in mounting. Yep, I could push it back agains the vertical supports.