HT system for $800 or less [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : HT system for $800 or less

pedro78
07-29-2011, 05:49 AM
A friend of mine who's less willing to put in the time is looking for a min hassle way of getting an entry level HT system. After I recommended Onkyo receivers he's spied an Onkyo all-in-one HT system, the HT-S7400. I know AR users are not fans of all-in-ones - wanted to get some thoughts on this or other simple possibilities for same budget? Just need receiver and 5.1 spkrs.
Thanks!

Luvin Da Blues
07-29-2011, 06:41 AM
AR members help those who help themselves. If your buddy doesn't want to put any time in I'm sure a HTIB would be fine for him (her?) as he obviuosly doesn't care enough about sound quality to put the time in.

pedro78
07-29-2011, 08:35 AM
I see. I was hoping someone would help me on his behalf (thanks to advice on this forum have a fab new paradigm spkr setup based around the studio 60s - thanks AR!). But I understand your view, apologies.

Woochifer
07-29-2011, 12:30 PM
Time after time, the weakness with HTIBs is the speakers. With a $800 budget, you're better off with an entry level receiver and a pair of speakers. Take the time to find a good pair of bookshelf speakers within that budget (after accounting for the cost of the receiver). Use the virtual surround function in the meantime, and add the matching surrounds, center speaker, and subwoofer gradually.

You get far more flexibility with budgeting, and in the end, a much higher performing home theater setup.

With $800, you could spend $200 on the receiver, and look at buying four bookshelf speakers ($150/pair) plus the center speaker. That budget will not leave enough for a subwoofer (budget for the sub should start around $500 for a good one).

Alternately, you could bump up to $500 on the receiver (gives you better amplification and more processing and video switching functions), and budget around $300 for a pair of speakers.

Lots of options, and IMO the HTIB approach is a lazy one, where you might get a decent component (usually the receiver) and a bunch of crap thrown in (usually the speakers and "subwoofer").

Glen B
07-30-2011, 08:30 AM
Dayton subs from Parts Express are a good value. I use two Dayton 15" subs in my HT system and can't complain. Total cost with shipping, $370.00. The came only in black ash, so I covered them in cherry veneer to match my other speakers.

SlumpBuster
07-30-2011, 12:05 PM
A receiver and a decent pair of bookshelves is a good option. But if someone is looking for a 5.1 system and you tell them it can't be done for $800, then you are doing them no favor. In fact it may turn them off to audio. We are here to indoctrinate people, not turn them away. Good 5.1 can be done for $800 and can be good enough to bite them with the audio bug.

Reciever: Onkyo on sale for $230: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_580TXS309B/Onkyo-TX-SR309.html?tp=179

Speakers: Infinity Primus 5 pack for $300: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_108PT5PIIB/Infinity-Primus-Theater-5-pack-II.html?tp=184

Sub: Dayton 12 inch for $160: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-635

Look at that - I'm under budget.

blackraven
07-30-2011, 12:16 PM
I agree with SlumpBuster. Here's another decent system minus the receiver-

http://www.amazon.com/Energy-Classic-Theater-System-Black/dp/B001202C44

Sir Terrence the Terrible
07-30-2011, 02:23 PM
A receiver and a decent pair of bookshelves is a good option. But if someone is looking for a 5.1 system and you tell them it can't be done for $800, then you are doing them no favor. In fact it may turn them off to audio. We are here to indoctrinate people, not turn them away. Good 5.1 can be done for $800 and can be good enough to bite them with the audio bug.

Reciever: Onkyo on sale for $230: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_580TXS309B/Onkyo-TX-SR309.html?tp=179

Speakers: Infinity Primus 5 pack for $300: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_108PT5PIIB/Infinity-Primus-Theater-5-pack-II.html?tp=184

Sub: Dayton 12 inch for $160: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-635

Look at that - I'm under budget.

I think you are missing Wooches point here. I can create a $800 system, but what would the sonic quality of that system be? It would quite frankly suck, and the individual could be in the market for a system again in less than a year or so. There is a school of thought that supports good, and good enough.

I like Wooch believe that saving to get a quality system, rather than just a system in the house is a much better option in the long run. When you start off with such low quality components, there is often no upgrade path, which means you have to start from scratch in some cases to upgrade what you have.

Good means different things to different people. Your good may not be good enough for me. We must remember that before we use our own standard of what is good is when recommending a system to others. Your idea of good can be a bite to somebody, and a complete turn off as well. You very well may be able to assemble some main speakers together that sound decent at that price point, but once you add in subs and receiver, that decent can descend into crap.

07-30-2011, 02:27 PM
I agree with SlumpBuster. Here's another decent system minus the receiver-

http://www.amazon.com/Energy-Classic-Theater-System-Black/dp/B001202C44

This system would only work well in a very small room. It would likely distort at peak volumes in a room any larger than that.

We really need more information, or we will likely not recommend the best system for the OP.

blackraven
07-30-2011, 04:35 PM
I understand Woochies point but it appears that the guy is looking for a cheap system and he may not want to spend any more money. II was making a suggestion based on the givien info and my supposition that he wants to stay within budget based on the fact he was looking at a HTIB. But if he really cares about the sound then he should piece together a system. Go 2.1, 3.1 or 4.1 for now and add on when he has more money.

He could go with 4 PSB Alpha B1's on sale at saturday audio for $219pr or the PSB$'s for $239pr and then a dayton sub along with that Onkyo TX-309 that Vanns and Amazon have for $199.

http://www.saturdayaudio.com/picturepages/psb_bstock.htm

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/538838617/onkyo-tx-sr309?v_c=netelixir&ne_ppc_id=705&ne_key_id=11026145

Here's a Tannoy system for about $700. I have no idea how it sounds-

http://www.audiophileliquidator.net/product_info.php?cPath=35_49&products_id=11036

SlumpBuster
07-30-2011, 08:18 PM
I think you are missing Wooches point here.

No, I understood Wooches point. Complimented it. Then provided a counterpoint. OP asked for a 5.1 system under $800. That's what I gave him.

Mash
07-31-2011, 05:24 AM
5.1 HT for $800? Why not? Many people do spend a lot of money on home sound systems, but being successful with a modest budget would demonstrate creativity and should be applauded.

My first system cost $600 in 1968 and I started to dislike it after 6 months. I forget what the second system cost c1969 but it was OK for about 1 year. I took the next 4 years to determine what I really wanted and "needed" because it had become obvious that "trading up" every year or two was financially foolish.

One must start somewhere. The good news is that $800 in today's inflated money should buy a better system that $600 would in 1968.

07-31-2011, 08:37 AM
No, I understood Wooches point. Complimented it. Then provided a counterpoint. OP asked for a 5.1 system under $800. That's what I gave him.

You gave him a counterpoint of which you know zero about the sound quality of. What good is that? Anyone can name and assemble a bunch of cheap components, but do you know what they sound like when hooked together?

Mash
07-31-2011, 09:25 AM
In the end it is the money belonging to the "OP's friend" that will be spent. So that is the person who must decide what is acceptable. In a year or two he/she may want something better, or maybe not. But right now it seems that price-appropriate alternatives beyond those sad "complete systems" are being sought.

07-31-2011, 11:52 AM
In the end it is the money belonging to the "OP's friend" that will be spent. So that is the person who must decide what is acceptable. In a year or two he/she may want something better, or maybe not. But right now it seems that price-appropriate alternatives beyond those sad "complete systems" are being sought.

Here is the issue. You have to ask more questions before you start recommending anything. This is a rule audio and video installer have. What is the size of the room this system is going to be in? How loud will you play this system? What type of sources will be used with this system(home theater only, or music and home theater)? What are you expectations of quality are you looking for?

These are just basic questions that should be asked before recommending anything. It keeps you from putting the cart in front of the horse. If price is the only concern, fire away at anything on the map. However, you should ask if price is the only consideration.

Mash
07-31-2011, 12:44 PM
OP & his friend have probably not thought that far into what they want to do. They were looking for a simple answer, and all these questions you raise, no matter how pertinent, will confound the issue.

Now they MIGHT follow up and return for clarification on your points, and then again maybe not. Let them ponder this and proceed as they wish, because WE do not know THEIR situation and they have not yet offered to discuss same.

Besides, such a modest budget suggests a modest room and modest expectations to me. If they get something nice-for-the-price, and perhaps even beyond all of their expectations, they will likely return for something better when they feel money allows.

SlumpBuster
07-31-2011, 01:54 PM
You gave him a counterpoint of which you know zero about the sound quality of. What good is that? Anyone can name and assemble a bunch of cheap components, but do you know what they sound like when hooked together?

With the same lack of actual knowledge you declared that they would suck. So I guess our opinions are equally useless.

07-31-2011, 02:03 PM
With the same lack of actual knowledge you declared that they would suck. So I guess our opinions are equally useless.

It is based on that lack of knowledge that I said it sucked. There is nothing useless about that. A common sense approach to building a system of any cost requires that knowledge, and I am sorry you cannot see that. A "in a vacuum " approach to building a system leads to a ton of mistakes out the gate.

SlumpBuster
07-31-2011, 03:07 PM
It is based on that lack of knowledge that I said it sucked. There is nothing useless about that. A common sense approach to building a system of any cost requires that knowledge, and I am sorry you cannot see that. A "in a vacuum " approach to building a system leads to a ton of mistakes out the gate.

That makes no sense. I caught you in your bogus logic, and you can't admit it.

I've heard the Primus system, I've heard the Dayton, and OP said friend was leaning towards Onkyo. That is not much of a vacuum. You suggest anyone can just recommend a system, but you have not. I find it amazing that with your purported expertise and experience you do not have a good handy answer for people looking for a sub $1000 system other than, "I need more information." and "You need more money." It's like a sommelier with no recommendations under $10.

But good for you that you have it all figured out. The burden must be tremendous.

07-31-2011, 03:28 PM
That makes no sense. I caught you in your bogus logic, and you can't admit it.

So without any information about the environment the system is going in, or how the equipment will be used, you feel comfortable in making recommendations? That is just plain simple minded. I am sorry that logic escapes you, but you need a foundation to build a structure, just like you need basic information to build a system. This sounds to me like you advocate walking backwards to move forward.

I've heard the Primus system, I've heard the Dayton, and OP said friend was leaning towards Onkyo. That is not much of a vacuum. You suggest anyone can just recommend a system, but you have not.

And I stated why I have not made a recommendation. The lack of basic information is why. I don't believe in recommending anything until I have some basic information. Do you buy a car without any information on how it performs or fits in with your family or lifestyle? Smart people don't.

I find it amazing that with your purported expertise and experience you do not have a good handy answer for people looking for a sub $1000 system other than, "I need more information." and "You need more money." It's like a sommelier with no recommendations under $10.

No, I do not have handy answer when there is a lack of basic information. I don't just cough up stuff in a void, I think things through. Some people shoot from the hip and often miss their target. Other take careful aim, and in most cases rarely miss their target. That highlights the difference between you and I.

But good for you that you have it all figured out. The burden must be tremendous.

What is more of a burden is figuring out how someone can recommend a system without taking room size, source, and listening habits into consideration. What if the Onkyo does not have enough power? What if the speakers you recommend cannot playback at sufficient levels in the OP's friends room. What if the subwoofer overloads frequently because it is too small for the room?

My purported expertise and experience has told me to ask question first, then give an answer. Yours seems to be give an answer before any questions have been asked. Which one of these approaches will lead to the right answer? Not yours I am afraid. My purported expertise and experience of coming in to actual HT and two channel systems and fixing issues that your approach created tells me this.