Criterion Collection [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Criterion Collection

dean_martin
07-28-2011, 01:40 PM
Just discovered that Barnes and Noble has its Criterion Collection of Blu-Ray and DVDs on sale @ 50% off. Sale runs to Aug. 1. Wasn't sure whether to post this on the news forum or here, but I thought I'd let you film buffs know. I'm always impressed with their transfers and most of their titles, but their prices are generally prohibitive. I'm taking a little b-day money (I get less and less every year) to my local store since unlike Amazon there are no tax savings online. (I haven't checked their online shipping rates in a while.)

If you happen to pick up anything, I'd be interested to hear what titles you get.

Smokey
07-28-2011, 07:02 PM
I have not been to Barnes and Noble in a while, but last time was there, it seem they sell their DVD/BR discs at MSRP prices. So even at 50% off, the prices might not be bargain.

dean_martin
07-31-2011, 09:00 PM
I have not been to Barnes and Noble in a while, but last time was there, it seem they sell their DVD/BR discs at MSRP prices. So even at 50% off, the prices might not be bargain.

B&N's regular prices for the Criterion are high, but the half price sale brings the prices down below what Amazon's prices usually are. I picked up the following Criterion titles this weekend:

Breathless (Jean-Luc Godard)
Repulsion (Roman Polanski)
The Seventh Seal (Ingmar Bergman)
Down by Law (Jim Jarmusch)

I watched Breathless and Down by Law today. Perfect for a rainy Sunday afternoon.

BTW, Kam posted some stills from a film that he was in that reminded me of an early B&W Jarmusch film.