PS3 copyright question [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : PS3 copyright question

RGA
07-27-2011, 08:49 PM
For PS3 owners an interesting question that I have been reading mixed answers on. I am now very likely to be moving to Hong Kong and I have a Blu-Ray and DVD and PS3 games.

EB games store manager has said that PS3 games purchased here will work on machines purchased over seas. He says that while the games have a region coded tag - it doesn't mean anything. Online - someone seems to confirm this and says that PS2 games will not work but PS3 games will.

Then there is the Blu-Ray question. I have to say this is irritating for people who ever plan to move overseas. You have to buy the damn movies a second time.

My Dell XPS 1530 will play any dvd from anywhere is seems so I can always connect it to TV that has HDMI or VGA and I suppose I could buy a portable Blu-Ray device but I'd rather just buy a PS3 over there and leave it there when I come back here.

Anyone have any insider answers. I can always ask Sony but I'll probably get the old - push one push two push three robot voice and that just drives me crazy.

Woochifer
07-28-2011, 12:33 PM
My understanding is that PS3 games will play on any PS3 console, regardless of region. PS2 games won't work simply because Sony discontinued PS2 compatibility after the 2nd generation PS3 consoles (pretty much everything from 2008 onward).

With Blu-ray, you're also in the clear because North America, South America, and most of East Asia (except China) are in Region A. Hong Kong's included, so any console you buy there will play regionally coded BDs sold in the U.S. or Canada.

Where things get fuzzier is with DVDs, because Hong Kong is in Region 3. But, you mentioned that you already use a region-free drive with your computer.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
07-28-2011, 02:28 PM
Wooch is spot on.

RGA
07-28-2011, 07:26 PM
Thanks guys - I never would have thought HK would be different than Mainland China or that it would be the same region as the US and Canada - So I will be bringing my Blu-Ray collection with me.

It will be interesting to find stereo equipment for small apartments - but a fun challenge.