The Incident: worst Porcupine Tree release ever? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : The Incident: worst Porcupine Tree release ever?

Demetrio
07-27-2011, 03:01 PM
I'm a huge Porcupine Tree fan myself (and for a long time now, since the mid 90's).

Until The Incident, my less favorite PT release was On the Sunday of Life. But fact is, I just can't get into The Incident. To me, the worst PT record ever.

Am I the only one not to enjoy this album?...

Regards,
Demetrio.

kexodusc
07-27-2011, 04:30 PM
It's ok, a few pretty good tracks, and a bunch of fill. I like the DVDA.. It's not on par with the 3 or 4 preceding albums.

ForeverAutumn
07-27-2011, 05:53 PM
It's probably my least favourite PT disk. We saw the tour and they played the whole album from start to finish. With a few exceptions, I found the show to be my least favourite of the four or five times we've seen them. It was great performance... of boring music.

I think that PT has just about run their course for me. I'm not sure that I'm keeping them on the autobuy list. I need another In Absentia to get me interested again.

Demetrio
07-27-2011, 06:36 PM
I'm not sure that I'm keeping them on the autobuy list.

Maybe that's also my case, FA. There was a time I used to buying any new Porcupine Tree release without even listening to it previously, but I have to admit: after my disappointment with The Incident I will probably find a way of listening to any new PT record before buying it...

Kind regards,
Demetrio.

unleasHell
07-27-2011, 08:58 PM
I agree, and on another note, I had bought an original limited edition of Recordings years ago and kept it sealed, waiting for it to increase in value, then when I heard they were going to re-release it I was still able to sell it for $100 on ebay. I also have an sealed XMII, I am sitting on...

I like the early stuff much better than their later stuff...

Rael Imperial Aerosol Kid
07-28-2011, 02:05 AM
I really like "the incident", especially in 5.1 surround, (Grammy nominated for best surround sound).
Steven Wilson uses a lot more acoustic guitar than usual, so there are more subtleties.
My favorite tune is "time flies" which is a nod to my favorite Pink Floyd song; "Dogs".

ForeverAutumn
07-28-2011, 05:20 AM
Time Flies is the only memorable tune on the first CD IMHO. I will put the CD in the player to listen to just this one song and then put the CD away.

richmon
07-28-2011, 05:45 AM
Also find The Incident a snoozefest. I saw them touring this album and thought that would help to make it click, but I just don't get it, reminds me of a boring version of a Blackfield album, or perhaps an uninspired Noman album.

Like FA, I've found the Tree has run it's course with me, haven't spun any in awhile. Steve Wilson is runnin his solo tour through baltimore this fall, it's only 15 minutes away and $25 but Yawn, no thanks. Here's the
promo for the tour:

Porcupine Tree creator Steven Wilson has set yet another benchmark for both musical composition and audio fidelitiy with his new album, Grace For Drowning, the second album released under his own name. Allowing his creative muse full license, Wilson has crafted 83 minutes of music that reflect his artistic sensibilities more fully than anything he’s released before. Pop, industrial, electronica, drone, jazz, and prog merge seamlessly in everything from 4-minute ballads to long-form pieces rich with improvisation and time changes.

Moreover, Grace For Drowning cements Wilson’s position at the forefront of audio engineering, as it is the first-ever rock album released primarily in Blu-ray video format. The standard edition of the album comes in 5.1 surround sound with accompanying video content for each song, including music videos by Lasse Hoile and interactive features that bring fans right into the studio with Wilson during the recording process. It will also be available as a deluxe edition that comes packaged with 3 CDs and a 120-page book of artwork and notes, a 180-gram vinyl edition, and a standard CD edition.

Mr MidFi
07-28-2011, 06:05 AM
I don't think The Incident is on a par with the 4 or 5 preceding albums, but it's not quite as bad as some here believe. Some of the tracks, like "Black Dahlia," take more than a couple listens to click.

I've listened to a bunch of clips from Grace for Drowning, and some of it sounds very reminiscent of old-school prog to me. It could be interesting... but it could very easily break bad on me too. We'll soon see. (I mean hear.)

MasterCylinder
07-28-2011, 06:07 AM
I need another In Absentia to get me interested again.

Let us know when that happens ! ;)

Jim Clark
07-28-2011, 10:55 AM
Funny, I pulled my copy of lightbulb sun out last night as my bedtime CD. I was wondering if you guys were still digging PT as much as you used to. Guess I know now!

I've never been a fan but it was better than I remember, at least until I fell asleep. that's why I have a hard time selling things, you just never know if you're going to want to hear it again.

Hopefully your band will snap back to form so you can keep spending and trying to find places to keep'm.

jc

N. Abstentia
08-04-2011, 03:05 AM
I could listen to Time Flies in a constant loop for the rest of my life.

I couldn't tell you any other songs on the album. In my perfect world, Time Flies would be on In Absentia, and I would never need another CD :)

ForeverAutumn
08-04-2011, 05:08 AM
In my perfect world, Time Flies would be on In Absentia, and I would never need another CD :)

That's what CDRs and Playlists are for. :)

3LB
08-04-2011, 07:29 PM
I'm a huge Porcupine Tree fan myself (and for a long time now, since the mid 90's). You were the first to send me PT in one of your comps Easy Listening Prog and Weird & Ecclectic Prog along with no-man (and others)

Am I the only one not to enjoy this album?...
No, other than a few tracks, I find this album tedious and repetative. A luckluster follow-up to a marginal Fear Of A Blank Planet. I definitely will have to find a way to preview the next PT offering, instead of pre-ordering.