Tuition busting $56 system [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Tuition busting $56 system

Poultrygeist
07-27-2011, 02:47 AM
The perfect dorm set up to offset the high cost of college tuition. Man I would have loved to have had this system back when I matriculated.

From Parts Express:

Dayton B652 - $34
Lepai Tripath TA2020 - $22

ipod - every kid has one

One national reviewer preferred the Dayton B652 over the PSB Image B25 and said it was just more musical.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-652&FTR=b652%20bookshelf%20speakers

markw
07-27-2011, 04:19 AM
The perfect dorm set up to offset the high cost of college tuition. Man I would have loved to have had this system back when I matriculated.

From Parts Express:

Dayton B652 - $34

ipod - every kid has one

One national reviewer preferred the Dayton B652 over the PSB Image B25 and said it was just more musical.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-652&FTR=b652%20bookshelf%20speakersI've got those Daytons* and have heard the PSB speakers. I think the reviewer got caught up in his own hype.

For their price, they ain't bad, but when going up against the big boys? Nah., ...sorry.

But, for a college kid just starting out they would be fine, particularly with a used, vintage receiver from a garage sale. He's gonna need those tone controls..

* I did a fairly long dissertation here a year or so ago when they first came to the medias attention..

Poultrygeist
07-27-2011, 04:59 AM
The Lepai T amp with these speakers will sound better than most garage sale receivers.

markw
07-27-2011, 05:26 AM
The Lepai T amp with these speakers will sound better than most garage sale receivers.You speak with great authority. The specs on that amp are specious at best. I'd put my $$ on a 30 - 40 year-old receiver with 20 "real" watts per channel at a stated distortion level putting out better sound.

And, have you heard these speakers? Or, better yet, have you lived with these speakers? I have. They make decent surround speakers in a secondary HT system. But, for a college kid with little experience and low expectations I guess they will be fine

Don't get sucked in by the hyperbole and puffery in this hobby.

For the prices you listed it's a great value, but it's just not the giant-killer that it's made out to be.

SlumpBuster
07-27-2011, 01:31 PM
Do college kids even have proper "systems" anymore? I thought I might be the last generation (Class of 97) where have a proper system still meant something. I had Yammie (proper Japanese Yammie) with Boston and B&W. I had buddies that had Kenwood/Cerwin and NAD/Jamo and Pioneer/JBL. Dudes would frequently come back after Christmas break with proper systems after seeing what everyone else had. You couldn't swing a cat without hitting Design Acoustics, Advents or Altec Lansings. A little tri-path amp would not have cut it.

I should post a pic of my $55 garage system that is a proper rocker.

Poultrygeist
07-27-2011, 03:01 PM
Some believe the TA2020 to be the best sounding T amp and listed below is a review of the original cheapo Sonic Impact. For the record I've never heard someone who owns a T amp diss them as sounding bad when paired with efficient speakers such as the Dayton. I have three T amps and they all sound better than my garage sale Pioneer, HK, Kenwood and Realistic receivers from the 70's. I would however give a slight edge to my 1973 Marantz 1150 but for different reasons.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/sonicimpact/t.html

TheHills44060
07-27-2011, 03:28 PM
...."He's gonna need those tone controls..
Outstanding point. The ability to trim the bass is essential when stuffy, studious dorm mates start pounding on your door!

SlumpBuster
07-27-2011, 03:35 PM
For the record I've never heard someone who owns a T amp diss them as sounding bad when paired with efficient speakers such as the Dayton.

Yeah, I wasn't actually doubting that. That's actually why I was planning on ordering the Dayton/T-amp combo from PE for Christmas.

Robert-The-Rambler
07-27-2011, 04:22 PM

From Parts Express:

Dayton B652 - $34

ipod - every kid has one

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-652&FTR=b652%20bookshelf%20speakers

Another great app is a two channel PC setup or TV setup. I didn't get the Dayton speakers but with ultra sensitive Technical Pro speakers with 99db sensitivity it is amazing for music that could power any party in a reasonable sized venue. I really want to get one for a bedroom gaming setup but honestly I really don't need it. My dad loves using the Lepai to enhance his TV watching experience. Its only between $20 and $40 depending on who you order from and how patient you are. Its a really fun and cheap gadget.

Poultrygeist
07-27-2011, 05:01 PM
How amusing it is when you find a good buy and are enthusiastic to pass it on, that there are those who would pee in your cornflakes. I have high end gear and know what great sound is but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate and enjoy good sound at a bargain price. I'm not falling for anything other than a killer deal for anyone wanting enjoyable sound on a shoestring. I would have died for this system in college way back in the day but instead had to settle for a Westinghouse FM radio.

markw
07-27-2011, 05:24 PM
How amusing it is when you find a good buy and are enthusiastic to pass it on, that there are those who would pee in your cornflakes. I have high end gear and know what great sound is but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate and enjoy good sound at a bargain price. I'm not falling for anything other than a killer deal for anyone wanting enjoyable sound on a shoestring. I would have died for this system in college way back in the day but instead had to settle for a Westinghouse FM radio.If you consider offering a dissenting opinion pissing in your cornflakes, you've got a lot of growing up to do. ...no matter your age.

What's the distortion on that thing? at what power? At what frequency?

And, I've got those speakers, and did a quasi-review here and said they were basically "worth the price". Did you read my old post? I'm pretty sure it was under one of yours praising these last year.

Yah, I didn't think so.

But, if you read my posts carefully, which I strongly doubt, I did say it was a good value if one doesn't expect too much. You praised it like it was a giant killer, which it ain't.

Sorry about your Westinghouse radio. Maybe a part-time, or summer, job would have gotten you a "real" stereo. ...or you could have checked the used stuff, if that wasn't beneath you then.

Robert-The-Rambler
07-28-2011, 04:40 AM
If you consider offering a dissenting opinion pissing in your cornflakes, you've got a lot of growing up to do. ...no matter your age.

What's the distortion on that thing? at what power? At what frequency?

And, I've got those speakers, and did a quasi-review here and said they were basically "worth the price". Did you read my old post? I'm pretty sure it was under one of yours praising these last year.

Yah, I didn't think so.

But, if you read my posts carefully, which I strongly doubt, I did say it was a good value if one doesn't expect too much. You praised it like it was a giant killer, which it ain't.

Sorry about your Westinghouse radio. Maybe a part-time, or summer, job would have gotten you a "real" stereo. ...or you could have checked the used stuff, if that wasn't beneath you then.

I find it very entertaining to purchase more serious gear and then lower end gear and try to find the baseline performance that might suit you or others. For example I have two very powerful I7 PC setups but that doesn't stop me from buying and trying to see what I can do with the $50 special AMD chip and $30 motherboard to see how close I can get to the I7 experience without the I7 dollars.

The same applies here with audio and starting with the $25 shipped Lepai and any number of various low cost speakers you can build a setup that might really surprise you given that you choose the right components and focus more on efficiency. The cost of experimentation is so low that it is a worthwhile project. Having experience with somewhat expensive and the absolute cheapest gear I find can be helpful in putting things in perspective.

markw
07-28-2011, 05:23 AM
I find it very entertaining to purchase more serious gear and then lower end gear and try to find the baseline performance that might suit you or others. For example I have two very powerful I7 PC setups but that doesn't stop me from buying and trying to see what I can do with the $50 special AMD chip and $30 motherboard to see how close I can get to the I7 experience without the I7 dollars.

The same applies here with audio and starting with the $25 shipped Lepai and any number of various low cost speakers you can build a setup that might really surprise you given that you choose the right components and focus more on efficiency. The cost of experimentation is so low that it is a worthwhile project. Having experience with somewhat expensive and the absolute cheapest gear I find can be helpful in putting things in perspective.

I've always been a fan of the "cheap and cheerful" school of thought but, at no time would I espouse that it's as good as the real thing.

FWIW, I bought these speakers over a year ago on this gut's recommendation and did a write-up here on it then. Search on "Dayton B652" if you want to read it. Now, here it is, a year later and he's back comparing them to "real" speakers again.

Like I said many times here, for that price it's a bargain, but so is a Hyundai Accent, an invariable good car, but don't go implying it''s as good as a BMW..

Poultrygeist
07-28-2011, 06:56 AM
markw, now I understand the negative tone of your posts and apologize for stealing your thunder from a year ago.

If you re-read my posts I never compared these speakers to anything nor did I say or imply they were giant killers. I only reported what a reviewer said. The vast number of reviews have been overwhelming positive for the Daytons and didn't they win some top 10 award? I've also read favorable comments as to how they sound paired with the TA2020 and I do enjoy the TA2020 sound. I've bought lots of Dayton gear from PE and never once been disappointed.

I'm only mentioning this system as it's time for schools to open and thought what an inexpensive dorm purchase they would make. FWIW my daughter's Sonata was more reliable than the 525i I finally unloaded.

SlumpBuster
07-28-2011, 01:54 PM
Ugh! You have not idea Poultry. Mark used to go on and on about his Koss headphones and Craig portable CD player. He never missed an opportunity to tell everyone how much fun he was having for $16. (Correct me Mark if I got those name brands and price wrong) I can tell you from having been around that you and Mark have come from very very similar audio perspectives. Mark is a good audio friend. Don't let his bluntness turn you off.

And I've enjoyed your posts and pics enough that your opinion of the Daytons is pushing me over the edge to get them. Mark's review was a little too qualified to get me there. I'm a big fan of Dayton and PE and always love to place an order. You're giving me an excuse.

And finally, ya'll should be driving a Mustang like me. WTF were y'all thinkin'? No joke, my brother in law just traded in his Sonata for a Mustang after seeing mine.

02audionoob
07-28-2011, 04:35 PM
If reliability is the measure of the better car, then a Honda Civic is a better car than a Bentley.

markw
07-28-2011, 08:40 PM
Ugh! You have not idea Poultry. Mark used to go on and on about his Koss headphones and Craig portable CD player. He never missed an opportunity to tell everyone how much fun he was having for $16. (Correct me Mark if I got those name brands and price wrong) I can tell you from having been around that you and Mark have come from very very similar audio perspectives. Mark is a good audio friend. Don't let his bluntness turn you off.

And I've enjoyed your posts and pics enough that your opinion of the Daytons is pushing me over the edge to get them. Mark's review was a little too qualified to get me there. I'm a big fan of Dayton and PE and always love to place an order. You're giving me an excuse.

And finally, ya'll should be driving a Mustang like me. WTF were y'all thinkin'? No joke, my brother in law just traded in his Sonata for a Mustang after seeing mine.How many times do I have to tell ya? COBY rules da world! ..and you can't beat those headphones the dollar store sells. Many people in the old age home swear by them. Actually, the swear at almost anything, moving or not.

Poultrygeist
07-29-2011, 02:47 AM

Do you think "Consumer's Report" would rate the Bentley as a better car than the Civic?

While I loved driving my 525i initially, replacing two transmissions in 25k miles made reliability far more important than performance, handling and comfort.

Slump,

I too love Mustangs which are unbreakable compared to bimmers. My 96 GT is still going strong but I lust after the new ones.

Mash
07-29-2011, 06:46 AM
Mustangs still have a live rear axle..... uncool in this IRS age.

Bently versus Civic? Hell, you could buy a new Civic for a Bently repair bill. But if you can REALLY afford a Bently ($350,000 cash, and they deliver after your private banker handles the financial details.... they wouldn't want you to get your hands dirty handing the transaction yourself.....)

Autos are money eaters. They get in the way of comfortable retirements..........

Poultrygeist
07-29-2011, 07:42 AM
IRS is great for road course but you want a solid axle at the strip.

Mash
07-29-2011, 08:10 AM
Are Mustangs really intended for those who want to race at the strip? Sounds like a small market to me. I think the real reason is that Ford is being cheap cheap cheap.... like a large henhouse.

Nasser almost killed Ford which is why Bill took over as CEO and kicked Nasser out. Nasser damn-near DID kill the F150. Look at the crash test results for the 1997 - 2003 F150 with its sheet-metal frame and compare to the 2004 and later F150.

Poultrygeist
07-29-2011, 08:45 AM
It's not uncommon for Cobra owners to swap out their IRS for a live axle which weighs about 80 lbs less. IRS can't take the power and abuse that a live axle can take.

Mash
07-29-2011, 09:05 AM
I do not believe any Mustang (Cobra included) has an OEM IRS. Maybe they are switching live axles to have a locker axle?

SlumpBuster
07-29-2011, 09:05 AM
Sure the live axel is still in there to save cost. Cost savings have always been the point of the Mustang. And yeah, it has never been a road car and has always been a strip car. If you ever watch Pinks or Pass Time on Speed, there is a reason you see so many mustangs. They are not Vettes. For $22K you can get 300hp v6 with a drive train that can handle 4.10s and either a blower or a 150 shot of nitrous. The block is rated up to 475hp without forged internals. Name me another car that can do that. If they ever put the twin turbo Ecoboost in there (which they never will) it will be sick.

SlumpBuster
07-29-2011, 09:06 AM
Terminator Cobras have OEM IRS. Idk about newer Shelbys.

Edit: Actually all New Edge Cobras had IRS according to Wikipedia, FWIW.

SlumpBuster
07-29-2011, 09:11 AM
And 2011 switched to posi on all axles including v6.

Mash
07-29-2011, 11:32 AM
Strip drag racing would seem incompatible with being an audiophile- those machines are usually very loud when the driver puts his/her foot in. Long-term and repeated exposure would seem perfect for developing hearing loss.

Range muffs, which would be the most convenient, typically offer 24 dB to 32 dB attenuation.................. which may not be enough.

I also suspect those machines are money pits, especially considering that repeated wide-open high HP usually means repairs. I have a "quick" speedboat and it absorbs its fair share to help the economy, but those strip machines probably cost a lot more.

SlumpBuster
07-29-2011, 12:31 PM
One of my clients is a top fuel component manufacturer. On the strip they usually have ear plugs with muffs over them. Lots of wear and tear on the motors. At the highest level of competition, many valve springs are one time use only.

Poultrygeist
07-29-2011, 01:56 PM
Ford modular V8's playing through Flow-masters produce some special music.

GM V8's, OTOH, lack tonality and low end resonance.

02audionoob
07-29-2011, 03:17 PM

Do you think "Consumer's Report" would rate the Bentley as a better car than the Civic?

While I loved driving my 525i initially, replacing two transmissions in 25k miles made reliability far more important than performance, handling and comfort.

Cars are about more than the one simple characteristic of reliability. I wouldn't be interested in whether Consumer Reports rated one car better than the other. I would be interested in whether they determined one car to be more reliable than the other, but I'd determine which car is better based on all factors that interest me.

If I were interested in only reliability, I'd buy a cheap, simple car. It stands to reason they're reliable. There's not much complicated or innovative about them. But then I'd be stuck driving a Civic when I would rather have and can afford a better car.