High Violet on vinyl [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : High Violet on vinyl

Jim Clark
07-26-2011, 09:40 AM
HIgh Violet is pretty much old news but I just received a vinyl copy yesterday and it would be hard to find a better example of the difference between cd and vinyl.

I obviously love the music so the massive amount of compression never really bothered me. Somewhere I along the line I read an equipment review where the reviewer used this album to test whatever it was he was testing. His comment was "High Violet on vinyl, as it was meant to be heard." I've heard these songs on CD, bootlegged, and live. Hearing them again on vinyl adds a 4'th experience. While not quite as frantic and aggressive as live, it was fun to hear the songs with some nuance and dynamics that had been missing in all of the previous formats.

It's busted up into a double album so it kind of sucks having to get up and down so much but apparently there's a price to be paid to get 'that sound'. It also makes you think how cool it would be to have them all on vinyl. If you're a fan of The National and have a vinyl rig (or two), it's worth plunking down the cash to grab this 180 gram gem.

jc

atomicAdam
07-26-2011, 09:52 AM
My had a copy on vinyl - it was super stupid think. Like 200g.

SO thick it screwed up the angle of the stylus and the album was very dark and almost un-listenable. I believe the whole thing was on one disc. Hopefully they fixed their production issues.

Swish
07-26-2011, 11:06 AM
it kind of sucks having to get up and down so much
jc

I don't see how that's a problem. :cornut:

dean_martin
07-26-2011, 02:30 PM
Thanks. I have Boxer on vinyl. My copy of High Violet was on cd but it was eaten by my vehicle's cd player. It's still in there along with a couple of other cds. I've had to fall back on the ipod for vehicle use.

On a side note, I improved the sound of the ipod by placing an old, portable Headroom headphone amp between the jack and the ipod. Made dramatic sound quality improvements. I don't miss the cd player anymore but I do miss the cds in its belly.

I'll probably replace the High Violet cd with a vinyl copy. I always thought something was missing soundwise when playing the cd on the main home rig.

jonnyhambone
07-26-2011, 05:31 PM
this hits a funny bone for me...I have High Violet on vinyl - only way I've heard it besides radio - and think it sounds quite nice...not as much *punch* as my Boxer cd however but the dynamics are balanced and there's nice fluidity to the album I think. Plus it's a great album and packaged purdy.
Then, I picked up the vinyl of Boxer to see what I'd been missing...ouch! it sounded absolutely terrible! I've never heard such a night-and-day difference in comparison. Quiet, lifeless, extremely veiled...I tried it through headphones, speakers, loud, quiet. Hopefully I just got a bad copy but I sold it in a vinyl purge and continue to be very happy with my cd copy. huh...:nonod: