Why do men think this is romantic? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Why do men think this is romantic?

ForeverAutumn
07-25-2011, 04:04 PM
I was just watching a rerun of Ellen with Michael Grimm on it (last year's winner of America's Got Talent). He proposed to his girlfriend on the show.

Why do men think that public proposals are romantic? I've seen proposals at baseball games, hockey games, and even lacrosse games. I've seen proposals by airplanes pulling banners. I've seen proposals on TV and on YouTube.

While I understand that some men may want to make a big splash and make the proposal memorable, the thing that all men need to know is that there is nothing more romantic and memorable to a woman than a quiet, lovely moment together.

Ajani
07-25-2011, 04:22 PM
I was just watching a rerun of Ellen with Michael Grimm on it (last year's winner of America's Got Talent). He proposed to his girlfriend on the show.

Why do men think that public proposals are romantic? I've seen proposals at baseball games, hockey games, and even lacrosse games. I've seen proposals by airplanes pulling banners. I've seen proposals on TV and on YouTube.

While I understand that some men may want to make a big splash and make the proposal memorable, the thing that all men need to know is that there is nothing more romantic and memorable to a woman than a quiet, lovely moment together.

While I also despise public proposals, I think your logic is off... Don't assume that "men" think public proposals are romantic... Only some do.. Also, keep in mind that there are women who like public proposals... I can think of several women who would much rather a major public display than any kind of private romance...

ForeverAutumn
07-25-2011, 05:38 PM
While I also despise public proposals, I think your logic is off... Don't assume that "men" think public proposals are romantic... Only some do.. Also, keep in mind that there are women who like public proposals... I can think of several women who would much rather a major public display than any kind of private romance...

I suppose that's true. But none of the women that I've ever talked to about this say that they would like that. But I agree that some might.

JohnMichael
07-25-2011, 06:24 PM

Public, private I do not care as long as someone asks before I die. I draw the line at proposal letters from prison. Well I do now. Oh and my standards are pretty low. Having a job and their own car is a plus. No more sociopaths or personality disorders need propose. I have my own diamonds so no need for any big cash output. I would like to avoid domestic violence. Oh hell I have my dog. Might as well leave well enough alone.

ForeverAutumn
07-25-2011, 06:48 PM
Public, private I do not care as long as someone asks before I die. I draw the line at proposal letters from prison. Well I do now. Oh and my standards are pretty low. Having a job and their own car is a plus. No more sociopaths or personality disorders need propose. I have my own diamonds so no need for any big cash output. I would like to avoid domestic violence. Oh hell I have my dog. Might as well leave well enough alone.

OMG John! You totally crack me up. I read this to Hubby and he's laughing too. Although it's all true, you have such a unique way of spinning things! :D

Smokey
07-25-2011, 07:02 PM
Public, private I do not care as long as someone asks before I die.

Just remember that being alone is not the same as being lonely :)

kexodusc
07-26-2011, 03:26 AM
I suppose there's something to professing your love for someone in front of thousands of people? If nothing else, it puts all the pressure back on her!

JohnMichael
07-26-2011, 04:06 AM
OMG John! You totally crack me up. I read this to Hubby and he's laughing too. Although it's all true, you have such a unique way of spinning things! :D

I am always glad when I can bring laughter into others lives.

bobsticks
07-26-2011, 04:49 AM
I suppose that's true. But none of the women that I've ever talked to about this say that they would like that. But I agree that some might.

The explanation to that may lie in the phrase, "Birds of a feather flock together.". You've never struck me as the kind of shallow, self-aggrandizing, self-centered, and attention-seeking strumpet that would go for that kind of thing.

I've been involved with a good number of them and they've never brought up your name even in casual conversation.:D

ForeverAutumn
07-26-2011, 05:28 AM
I suppose there's something to professing your love for someone in front of thousands of people? If nothing else, it puts all the pressure back on her!

If anyone here watches Survivor...on the finale show last season one of the Survivor contestants proposed to his girlfriend on the show. It was one of the most awkward things I'd ever seen. She was very uncomfortable and it looked like she didn't want to do it, but she said yes.

I wonder if they're still engaged. Hmmmmm.

ForeverAutumn
07-26-2011, 05:29 AM
The explanation to that may lie in the phrase, "Birds of a feather flock together.". You've never struck me as the kind of shallow, self-aggrandizing, self-centered, and attention-seeking strumpet that would go for that kind of thing.

I've been involved with a good number of them and they've never brought up your name even in casual conversation.:D

Really? Thoses *****es! How dare they not mention me.

GMichael
07-26-2011, 10:12 AM
Really? Thoses *****es! How dare they not mention me.

I'm thinking that they did and he just wasn't listening. All the girls I've known wouldn't stop talking abot you. Something about, if they had just one wish, they'd be as smart.

GMichael
07-26-2011, 10:17 AM

The right guy is ot there wondering where you are. Just watch out for the cat guys.

L.J.
07-26-2011, 10:46 AM
Guess this would be a bad time to bring up my Disneyland proposal :prrr:

Sir Terrence the Terrible
07-26-2011, 10:52 AM

JM, you are friggin hilarious. If one dog allows you to leave well enough alone, how about three dogs?

ForeverAutumn
07-26-2011, 11:12 AM
Guess this would be a bad time to bring up my Disneyland proposal :prrr:

Not if she loved it! It's not my thing but if it worked for you then who cares what I think.

Tell us about it! Inquiring minds want to know!

L.J.
07-27-2011, 07:13 AM
Not if she loved it! It's not my thing but if it worked for you then who cares what I think.

Tell us about it! Inquiring minds want to know!

Well it was my original but more like a re-proposal :out:

Hmmm.....I'll have to explain. We got married young, no wedding, no honeymoon, no money, no nothing. We didn't even have our own place. Her ring meant something but was $50 crap from a shopping mall. I never proposed, we just kinda agreed to do it.

Skip forward years later, I did things the proper way. Picked up a decent ring and proposed in the proper way. It was on the merry-go-round at Disneyland. She was shocked & had no clue. To my surprise, the answer was yes :wink5:

ForeverAutumn
07-27-2011, 07:53 AM

Hmmm.....I'll have to explain. We got married young, no wedding, no honeymoon, no money, no nothing. We didn't even have our own place. Her ring meant something but was $50 crap from a shopping mall. I never proposed, we just kinda agreed to do it.

Skip forward years later, I did things the proper way. Picked up a decent ring and proposed in the proper way. It was on the merry-go-round at Disneyland. She was shocked & had no clue. To my surprise, the answer was yes :wink5:

I think that's sweet. :)

It's not the kind of public proposal I was referring to. If you'd done it the way I'm talking about you'd have rented a float at the end of the Electric Parade done up with "Mrs. L.J. will you marry me?" in lights and you'd have Mickey and Minnie in wedding garb and you'd propose in front of all the people watching the parade. THAT would be a public proposal. :lol:

Yours sounds like it was in a public place but still an intimate moment between two people.

JohnMichael
07-27-2011, 08:13 AM

It's not the kind of public proposal I was referring to. If you'd done it the way I'm talking about you'd have rented a float at the end of the Electric Parade done up with "Mrs. L.J. will you marry me?" in lights and you'd have Mickey and Minnie in wedding garb and you'd propose in front of all the people watching the parade. THAT would be a public proposal. :lol:

Yours sounds like it was in a public place but still an intimate moment between two people.

Ya I thought it was a sweet moment.

L.J.
07-27-2011, 08:51 AM

Ooh, I see.... :lol:

Well at least you enjoyed my lil story :o

JohnMichael
07-27-2011, 09:04 AM

you'd have rented a float at the end of the Electric Parade done up with "will you marry me?" in lights and you'd have Mickey and Minnie in wedding garb and you'd propose in front of all the people watching the parade. THAT would be a public proposal. :lol:

Ooh I want that since most of the men I have dated were Goofies.

ForeverAutumn
07-27-2011, 11:39 AM
most of the men I have dated were Goofies.

Me too John, me too.

bobsticks
07-27-2011, 12:17 PM

That was pretty awesome L.J..

I can't speak for anyone else but my perception and comments were based on the idea of a proposal that was necessarily a public event, not something that happened in public...the difference being the motive and intent of the recipient and the idea that the idea and status of marriage is more important than the nuts-and-bolts reality of marriage.

Clearly those circumstances don't exist in your experience.

Now that may be different for John since he dates crazy people. :D

Ajani
07-27-2011, 01:12 PM
I can't speak for anyone else but my perception and comments were based on the idea of a proposal that was necessarily a public event, not something that happened in public...the difference being the motive and intent of the recipient and the idea that the idea and status of marriage is more important than the nuts-and-bolts reality of marriage.

That was my interpretation as well... Sadly I actually was married to such a person... The joys of being young and stupid (or maybe I should say younger and 'stupider')...

Lavarda
10-13-2021, 04:16 AM
Each relationship story is unique in its own way, and also each story has an end. So my brother's relationship came to an end, which lasted for several years. Thanks to this, he realized that he was gay and after reading the review on the site https://www.datingreview.com.au/grindr/ he began to meet guys. May he be happy.