Captain America [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Captain America

Worf101
07-25-2011, 05:09 AM
As a card carrying member of the MMMS (Merry Marvel Marching Society) since about 1964 I just had to see "Captain America". One if not the first comic I ever "bought" as opposed to filch was a Captain America/Iron Man combo for 12 cents. That' show's how old I am.

In that I can't see 3D we did the 2D screening at 10:30PM and it was almost totally sold out. We had a big screen, good seats and great sound and finally a good movie. The cast was good, particularly Tommy Lee Jones, and the story engaging. I particularly liked the fact that Bucky, Caps Pint Sized sidekick, was drawn much differently than in the books. This Bucky, was the old Steve Rogers friend and protected him. After the new Steve Rogers rescues Bucky from the Red Skull, this Bucky isn't gung ho to start risking his life again to follow Capatain America to glory. Instead he just wants to live.

Another nice point was the inclusion of most of Sgt. Fury's Howling Commando's as Cap's team of Hydra busters. I never thought I'd see Dum Dum Dugan, Reggie and the others on the big screen. I even got to hear the "Wha Hoo" battle cry. It was, for me at least, an incredible moment. As a movie it was good, if not great. and I give it a solid "B" It was good enough to smack them Limey's out of the top spot so I'm happy.

Make Mine Marvel!

Worf

bobsticks
07-25-2011, 05:21 AM
Thanks Worfster. Judging from the adverts I was convinced that either this was going to be gloriously retro number that stayed true to the legend or some Hollywood-contrived, "New Marvel Universe" bullschitt...looks like I may have to give this one a go. Thanks for the report.

Jack in Wilmington
07-25-2011, 05:53 AM
As a card carrying member of the MMMS (Merry Marvel Marching Society) since about 1964 I just had to see "Captain America". One if not the first comic I ever "bought" as opposed to filch was a Captain America/Iron Man combo for 12 cents. That' show's how old I am.

In that I can't see 3D we did the 2D screening at 10:30PM and it was almost totally sold out. We had a big screen, good seats and great sound and finally a good movie. The cast was good, particularly Tommy Lee Jones, and the story engaging. I particularly liked the fact that Bucky, Caps Pint Sized sidekick, was drawn much differently than in the books. This Bucky, was the old Steve Rogers friend and protected him. After the new Steve Rogers rescues Bucky from the Red Skull, this Bucky isn't gung ho to start risking his life again to follow Capatain America to glory. Instead he just wants to live.

Another nice point was the inclusion of most of Sgt. Fury's Howling Commando's as Cap's team of Hydra busters. I never thought I'd seek Dum Dum Dugan, Reggie and the others on the big screen. I even got to hear the "Wha Hoo" battle cry. It was, for me at least, an incridible moment. As a movie it was good, if not great. and I give it a solid "B" It was good enough to smack them Limey's out of the top spot so I'm happy.

Make Mine Marvel!

Worf

Laugh now Worfster, but remember that the Limey's pulled in $168 million the first week. And Cowboys and Aliens will be kicking the good captain to the curb next week. Long live DC Comics.

Worf101
07-25-2011, 06:21 AM
Laugh now Worfster, but remember that the Limey's pulled in $168 million the first week. And Cowboys and Aliens will be kicking the good captain to the curb next week. Long live DC Comics.
Fie upon thee Philistine!!!! Let battle be joined!!!!!! Sides, you're just pissed because Marvel was 2. for 3 this year with only "X-Men First Class" failing to draw good numbers while your offering... (Ahem) "The Green Lantern" got trounced by Cap and Thor. So skippeth thee the sour grapes. LOL actually much as I love Marvel II eventually fell in love with Batman and The Watchmen and love most of the D.C. Animated Universe.

Worf

Jack in Wilmington
07-25-2011, 07:51 AM
Fie upon thee Philistine!!!! Let battle be joined!!!!!! Sides, you're just pissed because Marvel was 2. for 3 this year with only "X-Men First Class" failing to draw good numbers while your offering... (Ahem) "The Green Lantern" got trounced by Cap and Thor. So skippeth thee the sour grapes. LOL actually much as I love Marvel II eventually fell in love with Batman and The Watchmen and love most of the D.C. Animated Universe.

Worf

My wife drug me to see Spiderman (the first one) and I have to admit that I liked it, and I loved Iron Man. Marvel comics were just after my time so I wasn't familar with the characters.

BallinWithNash
07-25-2011, 11:14 AM
Iv'e already seen it twice!

NotreDameIrish
07-29-2011, 06:17 AM
All of the recent marvel movies have been great in my opinion. Iron Man being my favorite

3LB
08-01-2011, 05:58 AM
That pretty much mirrors my take, Worf. I too use to get the Iron Man/Cap'n America combo issues as well (both of them fighting the same organization, but seperately). It was a tad odd for me to see the guy playing Cap'n was the same dude (Chris Evans) that played Johnny Storm on the Fantastic Four. But I was never in love with that FF movie anyway, so no loss for me. The CGI that made Evans look like a weakling in the beginning of the movie was pretty stunning. The Red Skull was played close to the vest by Hugo Weaving, which was somewhat anti-climatic for some, but I was relieved it wasn't too over-the-top.

Some stuff I could do without: having the Stark story arc in there.

Ajani
08-01-2011, 07:06 AM
That pretty much mirrors my take, Worf. I too use to get the Iron Man/Cap'n America combo issues as well (both of them fighting the same organization, but seperately). It was a tad odd for me to see the guy playing Cap'n was the same dude (Chris Evans) that played Johnny Storm on the Fantastic Four. But I was never in love with that FF movie anyway, so no loss for me. The CGI that made Evans look like a weakling in the beginning of the movie was pretty stunning. The Red Skull was played close to the vest by Hugo Weaving, which was somewhat anti-climatic for some, but I was relieved it wasn't too over-the-top.

Some stuff I could do without: having the Stark story arc in there.

Hmmm... I really enjoyed the film and I'm not sure what issue you had with Howard Stark being in the film... He didn't take up much screen time and seemed to fit in just fine to me... I saw it as just being another convenient way of tying all the Avengers characters together in the same universe... Much like how they tied the cosmic cube to Asgard (Thor)...

3LB
08-01-2011, 05:09 PM
Hmmm... I really enjoyed the film and I'm not sure what issue you had with Howard Stark being in the film... He didn't take up much screen time and seemed to fit in just fine to me... I saw it as just being another convenient way of tying all the Avengers characters together in the same universe... Much like how they tied the cosmic cube to Asgard (Thor)...
They keep borrowing their historical references from once living, iconic persons such as Walt Disney in the second Iron Man and Howard Hughes in this one. The Hughes persona might be a closer fit in retrospect, but if they needed a Howard Stark, let them invent one and not pattern him after actual persons (who aren't around to say Yay or Nay). Don't get me wrong, I love Iron Man, but don't want this franchise turning into the Robert Downey Jr show.

vibe
08-02-2011, 03:05 PM
I think this is one comic that would remain better as a comic - it just doesn't seem as plausable. Yes, hes strong, but if I were up against him I'd jus shoot him in the foot/knee. I haven't seen it yet, and I'm not sure if i will.

bizkitfan2001
08-19-2011, 06:12 PM
worth seeing?

Worf101
08-23-2011, 05:16 AM
If it's still around... yeah.

Worf