Silver Jews question. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Silver Jews question.

Swish
07-24-2011, 02:20 PM
I only have American Water and assumed some of the vocals were done by Stephen Malkmus because it sounds like him, but someone told me it was David Berman. I checked the info on the cd and they don't mention who plays what or who sings, and I can't find much on the 'net.

What I find peculiar is the lyric in 'Random Rules' where he sings, "I ask the painter why the roads are colored black. He said 'Steve, it's because people leave and no highway will bring them back."

If that's Berman singing, and not Malkmus, why would he call himself Steve?Just wondering.

Davey
07-24-2011, 03:00 PM
Well, Malkmus definitely sings on it, mostly backup, but also sometimes in a quasi-lead, like in Federal Dust which they co-wrote, where I think his vocal is a little ahead of Berman's, but sometimes it's hard to tell them apart on a song like this that sounds just like Pavement. And that sounds just like Malkmus on the "Not much water coming over the hill" coda at the end.

But thanks man, I needed a hit of American Water! What a classic :)

I have a bunch of them, even the first Arizona Record EP that is a really cheap-ass and crappy sounding recording. Not recommended, but had to hear it. You definitely need to get your hands on Starlite Walker. PM me if you need any help with that. It's very good, with a lot of that same Pavement sound. Not quite as nice sounding as American Water, which has a really nice analog sound, but still chock full of great music. Sometimes I get fixated on just one record from a band, like American Water, and kind of miss out on how they got to that point. Berman was writing and performing some great music before American Water, with and without his Pavement buds...

I just got back from a dream attack
That took me by surprise
And in there I met a lady
Her name was Shady Sides
And she said:

It's been evening all day long
It's been evening all day long and
How can something so old be so wrong

Sin and gravity
Drag me down to sleep
To dream of trains across the sea
Trains across the sea

Still, American Water is the most special of them all, but these days I wouldn't want to miss out on Starlite Walker either, which has a lot of the same charm. I don't care nearly as much for the one in between, Natural Bridge, or nearly as much for any after, though they do all have some fine songs, but those two are big favorites.

Swish
07-24-2011, 03:12 PM
Well, Malkmus definitely sings on it, mostly backup, but also sometimes in a quasi-lead, like in Federal Dust which they co-wrote, where I think his vocal is a little ahead of Berman's, but sometimes it's hard to tell them apart on a song like this that sounds just like Pavement. And that sounds just like Malkmus on the "Not much water coming over the hill" coda at the end.

But thanks man, I needed a hit of American Water! What a classic :)

I have a bunch of them, even the first Arizona Record EP that is a really cheap-ass and crappy sounding recording. Not recommended, but had to hear it. You definitely need to get your hands on Starlite Walker. PM me if you need any help with that. It's phenomenal. Not quite as nice sounding as American Water, which has a really nice analog sound, but still chock full of great music. Sometimes I get fixated on a just one record from a band, like American Water, and kind of miss out on how they got to that point. Berman was writing and performing some great music before American Water, with and without his Pavement buds...

I just got back from a dream attack
That took me by surprise
And in there I met a lady
Her name was Shady Sides
And she said:

It's been evening all day long
It's been evening all day long and
How can something so old be so wrong

Sin and gravity
Drag me down to sleep
To dream of trains across the sea
Trains across the sea

...said it wasn't Malkmus singing, but Berman. We were at the Standard Tap in Philly prior to the Iron and Wine show, and I commented that I would 'know that voice anywhere'. Sounds like I need to have the record, so check your PMs.

Thanks Davey!

Davey
07-24-2011, 03:26 PM
Sounds like I need to have the record, so check your PMs.

Thanks Davey!

Looks like it's available to preview without my help ... http://www.megaupload.com/?d=GDM0U0DK