Dusk at Cubist Castle ... on the road again [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Dusk at Cubist Castle ... on the road again

Davey
07-23-2011, 08:36 AM
I was listening to an old favorite yesterday from Olivia Tremor Control, (Music from the Unrealized Film Script) Dusk at Cubist Castle, so uploaded "Holiday Surprise 1, 2, 3" to my song of the day page for fun, and just out of curiosity I checked the web to see if many people were still mentioning this 15 year old CD. And what... they have a tour starting next month! I didn't even know they were thinking about reuniting, though I know they've done it in the past for a few shows. Can't tell yet if it is all the principles, Will Hart and Bill Doss and Jeff Mangum and the rest. I see Jeff is supposed to be curating ATP this year, which is where the tour ends, so I imagine he'll be on stage with them. Apparently they are premiering new material and working on a new record.

http://altmusic.about.com/b/2011/07/21/olivia-tremor-control-tour.htm

August 31: Austin, TX - Mohawk
September 3: Los Angeles, CA - FYF Fest
September 5: San Francisco, CA - Great American Music Hall
September 8: Seattle, WA - Vera Project
September 9: Portland, OR - Someday Lounge
September 12: Minneapolis, MN - Varsity Theatre
September 13: Chicago, IL - Bottom Lounge
September 14: Columbus, OH - Wexner Center
September 15: Pittsburgh, PA - New Hazlet Theatre
September 16: Toronto, ON - Lee's Palace
September 17: Montréal, QC - Il Motore
September 19: Boston, MA - Brighton Music Hall
September 21: New York, NY - Le Poisson Rouge
September 23: Philadelphia, PA - UPenn Rotunda
December 2-4: Minehead, England - ATP Festival

Slosh
07-24-2011, 05:43 AM
I've been meaning to pick this up for ages. Thanks for the reminder, just grabbed the CD yesterday. I'll have to see what my friend who is a huge Beatles fan thinks of it (his dog is named Ringo and his GF's dog is Lucy :) ).

NP: (obviously)

Davey
07-24-2011, 08:27 AM
I've been meaning to pick this up for ages. Thanks for the reminder, just grabbed the CD yesterday. I'll have to see what my friend who is a huge Beatles fan thinks of it (his dog is named Ringo and his GF's dog is Lucy :) ).

There are times when it does sound almost like demos for a missing Beatles record from 1967, but the production style is more dense, and it does have an undeniable "indie" sound the Beatles don't (something kind of hard to explain here, but detuned guitars and a lot of phasey and distorted effects, a million ideas coupled with the usual lack of funds). Often the most amazing pop gems seem to arise from that background, stay for awhile, then sink back in. Kind of like a messier and more psychedelicized Abbey Road suite. The song I mentioned above is a pretty good example, going for over 6 minutes with a few mixups, but arriving pretty much where it started, "spending my last dollar on a hotel and a restaurant...". Very cool, but obviously not everyone's idea of a great record :)

Swish
08-04-2011, 07:59 AM
...and so glad I did. Pure pop joy. Not sure I can make it to see them in Philly, but that would be fun.

jonnyhambone
08-05-2011, 09:21 AM
This is one of those albums that I know of, know I'll like, but haven't ever picked up. Well they'll be rolling thru my town in Sept. AND Dusk and Black Foliage are being given the fancy 2x LP reissue - limited press and I think I read that the first 200 ordered from Chunklet (http://www.chunklet.com/) are on blue vinyl. Looks like I'll be meeting this album at last...