R.I.P. Amy Winehouse [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. Amy Winehouse

JohnMichael
07-23-2011, 08:33 AM
I just heard on the news that Amy Winehouse was found dead in her home.

Davey
07-23-2011, 08:41 AM
That is sad. Not surprising, but still very sad.

MindGoneHaywire
07-23-2011, 08:43 AM
This sucks.

kexodusc
07-23-2011, 10:22 AM
It's getting pretty sad when the first reaction is "not surprised" (that was mine). Seems like the world was just waiting for this. I'm kind of curious if the public's reaction will be sorrow and grief, or indifference. Rock stars used to be iconified for dying young...doubt that's the case anymore.

Swish
07-23-2011, 10:22 AM
She certainly was on a self-destructive path and has been in and out of rehab a number of times. This really does suck.

ForeverAutumn
07-23-2011, 12:11 PM
What a tragic waste of a life. I heard it on the radio and, like others here, my first thought was "well, it was only a matter of time".

JohnMichael
07-23-2011, 12:30 PM
I just heard that she joins some other famous rockers who died at 27 years of age. Janis, Jimi and Jim Morrison all died at 27. I think Janis' death was the most upsetting for me. Of course all very sad and tragic. Tonight I will be playing Amy's music and toasting her life with my addiction, wine.

MindGoneHaywire
07-23-2011, 01:50 PM
Never knew it had been categorized to this extent until today...but here it is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/27_Club

3LB
07-23-2011, 04:24 PM
Really, of all the people in that infamous "27 Club" it may even be a minor miracle Winehouse made it to 27. Too bad she couldn't overcome her demons.

winston
07-23-2011, 04:44 PM
It's getting pretty sad when the first reaction is "not surprised" (that was mine). Seems like the world was just waiting for this. I'm kind of curious if the public's reaction will be sorrow and grief, or indifference. Rock stars used to be iconified for dying young...doubt that's the case anymore.

Kex, I'll have to seconded your (assertion) because its really sad, which ever way "one's choose to react to the passing of (AW)"

drugs is a Disease. R.I.P AW

Jack in Wilmington
07-23-2011, 06:53 PM
Hopefully this will send a message to these other Hollywood partyers that if you keep messing with fire..........

It's really sad when your first thought is. "Well it doesn't surprize me". Watch out Lindsay.

markw
07-23-2011, 07:22 PM
It's getting pretty sad when the first reaction is "not surprised" (that was mine). Seems like the world was just waiting for this. I'm kind of curious if the public's reaction will be sorrow and grief, or indifference. Rock stars used to be iconified for dying young...doubt that's the case anymore.Whileit may indicate a sad state of affairs, you can't say it's entirely unwarranted. It's not like her life wasn't a matter of public record, and the public has seen this cause and effect many. many times before, albiet not so publicly displayed.

This is what her owm mother said in 2008:

"In an interview in 2008, her mother Janis said she would be unsurprised if her daughter died before her time.

She said: 'I've known for a long time that my daughter has problems.

'But seeing it on screen rammed it home. I realise my daughter could be dead within the year. We're watching her kill herself, slowly.

'I've already come to terms with her dead. I've steeled myself to ask her what ground she wants to be buried in, which cemetery.

'Because the drugs will get her if she stays on this road.

'I look at Heath Ledger and Britney. She's on their path. It's like watching a car crash - this person throwing all these gifts away.'

In addition, there was a website set up called When Will Amy Winehouse Die?, with visitors asked to guess the date of death."

The entire article is here (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2018020/Amy-Winehouse-dead--Found-dead-London-flat.html?ito=feeds-newsxml).

kexodusc
07-24-2011, 03:12 AM
Whileit may indicate a sad state of affairs, you can't say it's entirely unwarranted. It's not like her life wasn't a matter of public record, and the public has seen this cause and effect many. many times before, albiet not so publicly displayed.

All true. I feel for her mom. Must suck to see tabloids, late night comedians, and probably average people on the street cracking jokes about your daughter for years while she failed to make any progress.

That's the extent of my exposure to her. I couldn't name 1 Amy Winehouse song. Not my bag.

Rae
07-24-2011, 08:12 AM
Never knew it had been categorized to this extent until today...but here it is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/27_Club

Wow, Robert Johnson, Mia Zapata, D. Boon... never realized that. I also see that Pete Ham is on there. What a tragic band.

~Rae

Davey
07-24-2011, 08:45 AM
Wow, Robert Johnson, Mia Zapata, D. Boon... never realized that. I also see that Pete Ham is on there. What a tragic band.

~Rae

A few days ago I added a Richmond Fontaine song to my site about Zia and her band The Gits, kind of a tribute that they made for the Katrina relief compilation a few years ago. I had a foggy memory of her murder and the outrage at the time, but never heard if there was any resolution. So I checked and they did finally find the killer, due to some luck and some DNA, about 10 years after her murder.

noddin0ff
07-25-2011, 03:52 AM
http://www.b3tards.com/u/0bb7ac49b9769052ddb6/amywinehouserip.jpg

Mr MidFi
07-25-2011, 05:42 AM
Before she became a household name in the U.S., my brother caught her 2006 performance at the Coachella festival and was raving about her for days. So when we met up at 2007 Lollapalooza, he insisted that we go and see her set. "You'll be blown away" was all he kept saying to me, and I was ready to be a believer.

To call the show merely 'disappointing' is to do violence to the language. She was practically comatose on her feet, and clearly withering in the heat. Her band, the Dap-Kings, were tight as a drum, but she was like a bad joke. After 20 minutes or so, we walked away, shaking our heads. It was obvious that something was very, very wrong with her.

A lot of people saw this disaster coming, of course. But that doesn't make it any less tragic.

Arguably, it makes it worse.

nobody
07-25-2011, 06:26 AM
Yeah, a shame but I had long lost hope for another record to be honest.