Has anyone here heard a set of ESB 7/06 speakers? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone here heard a set of ESB 7/06 speakers?

GMichael
07-21-2011, 05:07 AM
The owner of our company wants to revamp one of his systems. He wants me to help him put a new system together that's more for HT instead of just stereo. (more on this when I have a budget and more feedback from him) In the mean time, he has given me his old set of speakers. They are very old and a bit dusty. The only markings I've found so far is an emblem saying ESB. After a few minutes Googling, I've found that they seem to be the model 7/06. They are from Italy costing about $3300 new. I have found one set being sold recently for $650.

Has anyone here ever heard a set of these? Are they as good as they look?

They are too big for my living room. They would block the 40" LCD. They might be nice in my poolroom though. He was driving them with an older (top of the line 150wpc) Sony receiver. My guess is that this wasn't the best match for them. Maybe adding even a cheap Emo amp would be an improvement. But are they worth it?

I haven't heard them yet. I only have 1 home so far. That's all that would fit in my car. I'll bring the 2nd home tonight.

(I was trying to get him to give me his old ML's, but no luck with that)

GMichael
07-21-2011, 01:29 PM
No huh? It was worth a shot...

cjpremierfour
07-22-2011, 09:10 AM
The ESB line of speakers are very rare and very "high end"! You will not find much info about these because of this reason. ESB went out of business back in the late 80's and never became a popular brand with the US market.

I have only talked to 2 people that have owned a pair, both had nothing but good things to say. I did pass on a pair of 7/07 in the North Carolina area about 1.5 years ago, ( FULL HOUSE ) wish I could go back and correct the mistake.

Would the ML's happen to be a mono block pair of Mark Levinsons amps? That would be something that the ESB could use.

GMichael
07-22-2011, 10:50 AM
The ESB line of speakers are very rare and very "high end"! You will not find much info about these because of this reason. ESB went out of business back in the late 80's and never became a popular brand with the US market.

I have only talked to 2 people that have owned a pair, both had nothing but good things to say. I did pass on a pair of 7/07 in the North Carolina area about 1.5 years ago, ( FULL HOUSE ) wish I could go back and correct the mistake.

Would the ML's happen to be a mono block pair of Mark Levinsons amps? That would be something that the ESB could use.

Thanks for this info. They seem to have been made by a now defunked Italion maker. If they sound half as good as they look, they'll be very welcome. They very well may end up being the best speakes I'll ever own.

The ML's are a pair of 7 foot tall Martin Logans that he paid over $10,000 for many years ago. He never even turns them on. Hell, they aren't even plugged in. I bug him every time I'm there that he should give them to someone who will use them.