Rolling Stone's top 10 prog bands. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Rolling Stone's top 10 prog bands.

ForeverAutumn
07-20-2011, 06:39 PM
Here. (http://www.rollingstone.com/music/photos/readers-poll-the-best-prog-rock-bands-of-all-time-20110720/0318489)

"...it's a real pity that only two of the bands are in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame". A funny thing to hear from Rolling Stone considering that Jann Wenner is on the nomination committee. :incazzato:

dingus
07-20-2011, 08:41 PM
guess RS forgot all about the Moody Blues...

Smokey
07-20-2011, 08:42 PM
The band Tool as one of top 10 Prog Rock Bands of All Time! Oh please :frown2:

If one band deserve to be on that list, it would be R.E.M.

MasterCylinder
07-21-2011, 04:42 AM
Agree with all but 2 of those............funny write-up on YES.

Just as interesting is the Rolling Stone photo collection of "Naked on the Cover". (hit the link).
WOW.........Jennifer Anniston's ass looks a lot better than Yoko's.

Finch Platte
07-21-2011, 08:53 AM
Just as interesting is the Rolling Stone photo collection of "Naked on the Cover". (hit the link).
WOW.........Jennifer Anniston's ass looks a lot better than Yoko's.

Gack. Had to stop at Russell Brand. :skep:

Rael Imperial Aerosol Kid
07-24-2011, 02:23 PM
I like Rush, but I wouldn't put them at #1 on a prog list.

What about porcupine tree, flower kngs, marillion, IQ, etc......?

kexodusc
07-24-2011, 03:33 PM
I won't knock Tool. By the time kids had learned they were listening to prog Tool was touring in support of their 3rd album. Wouldn't make my list, but they achieved commercial success in stealth mode. Maybe it made it "ok" for them to expand their musical horizons a bit?

Mars Volta...meh.

MasterCylinder
07-25-2011, 04:21 AM
I like Rush, but I wouldn't put them at #1 on a prog list.

What about porcupine tree, flower kngs, marillion, IQ, etc......?

My vocalist-friend also puts KANSAS in there.

3LB
07-25-2011, 07:38 PM
guess RS forgot all about the Moody Blues...
thats for true

If Jethro Tull is on the list, the Moodies have to be.

But if we're talkin all time, then let us at least have some timeline. Tool, Dream Theater and Mars Volta for modern acts - sure, why not. But to leave off Marillion, Moodies, Kansas, and Gentle Giant, even Alan Parsons and Camel, not to mention an actual force in the world of modern prog, Porcupine Tree (a band Rush would readily acknowledge)... just another of RS's Top Ten Things We've Ever Heard Of lists.

3LB
07-25-2011, 07:48 PM
Prog or no prog, Rush exemplifies every critieria for induction and belong as much as any act currently residing in the RRHOF, but given some of the inductees of the last decade, its more a badge of honor not to be nominated, much less inducted.

MasterCylinder
07-26-2011, 04:02 AM
But to leave off Marillion, Moodies, Kansas, and Gentle Giant, even Alan Parsons and Camel, not to mention an actual force in the world of modern prog, Porcupine Tree (a band Rush would readily acknowledge)... just another of RS's Top Ten Things We've Ever Heard Of lists.

Oh wow............Gentle Giant and Alan Parsons..............of course.