07-21-2011, 08:56 AM
Ten Hands- Old Eyes.

Makesa me cry-eh every time-uh.

ForeverAutumn
07-21-2011, 09:47 AM
Only one tune?! You call that simple?! :eek:

Stone
07-21-2011, 10:56 AM
Today I pick the prog classic "Another Girl, Another Planet" by The Only Ones.

Demetrio
07-21-2011, 04:20 PM
Very hard to chose only one......

But I will play: "Lady Fantasy", by Camel

Regards,
Demetrio.

unleasHell
07-21-2011, 07:11 PM
very Cool pick, Demetrio, I love Camel and I saw them live a few times back in the mid 70's! One of the times Kiss opened for Camel!

My pick: Suppers Ready by Genesis

Smokey
07-21-2011, 07:45 PM
One song that always perk me up is Castle In the Air by Don Mclean.

http://cdn.7static.com/static/img/sleeveart/00/000/238/0000023870_350.jpg

Demetrio
07-22-2011, 08:51 AM
very Cool pick, Demetrio, I love Camel and I saw them live a few times back in the mid 70's!

I envy you, my dear friend...

My pick: Suppers Ready by Genesis

Yes, another great pick indeed!!!

ForeverAutumn
07-22-2011, 09:35 AM
One song. This is tough. But since my life doesn't depend on it and I can change my pick anytime that I want, I'm going to say Manfred Mann's version of Blinded by the Light. I just love that tune!

Rae
07-22-2011, 10:59 AM
So I was gonna post something snarky in this thread, like the most popular song of all time, which led me to the Wikipedia page of the best-selling singles in record history and the discovery that one of the top 10 highest-selling singles ever is a song that I've never heard, Baccara's "Yes Sir I Can Boogie" with 18 million copies sold worldwide. Weird.

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Ygb0F-VCTPI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

~Rae

Swish
07-22-2011, 11:19 AM
So I was gonna post something snarky in this thread, like the most popular song of all time, which led me to the Wikipedia page of the best-selling singles in record history and the discovery that one of the top 10 highest-selling singles ever is a song that I've never heard, Baccara's "Yes Sir I Can Boogie" with 18 million copies sold worldwide. Weird.

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Ygb0F-VCTPI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

~Rae

I was seriously going to post that as my one best song of all time and now you've ruined it. What a buzz-kill.

SlumpBuster
07-22-2011, 12:34 PM
Today I pick the prog classic "Another Girl, Another Planet" by The Only Ones.

Good choice, but I like The Mighty Lemon Drops version better. They do it as a straight ahead rave up getting rid of any psychedelia tinge. Good stuff.

http://www.amazon.com/Just-Say-Anything-Various-Artists/dp/B000002LPN/ref=pd_sim_m_4

atomicAdam
07-22-2011, 12:50 PM
Baccara's "Yes Sir I Can Boogie"

Wow that was bad. Thanks for sharing!

Rae
07-22-2011, 02:32 PM
Bad all the way to the bank, I guess.

~Rae

Davey
07-22-2011, 03:03 PM
Just saw that the long-awaited Califone film was finally released earlier this year, titled with one of my favorite opening lines ever in, "Made a Machine by Describing the Landscape", from one of my favorite Califone songs, "When Leon Spinx Moved Into Town", from one of my favorite albums of the last 10 years or so, Quicksand/Cradlesnakes. Used to have a link to that song in my signature, but my sig still goes to a page where you can download it, along with a bunch of other stuff. Now I'll probably need to order the DVD of the film, can't really tell much by the trailer though.

So today, my favorite is "When Leon Spinx Moved Into Town"....

...from an old interview with Tim Rutili about his lyrics ...

Jacob Knabb: I feel like I’ve read a lot of interviews, and I’ve kind of looked around, and I haven’t seen a lot of people address what you’re doing lyrically. So that’s what I wanted to talk about. How do you compose your lyrics?

Tim Rutili: There’s not any set way that I do it. But I love to write. And I write words every day.

JK: But to get back to the rodeo clown, it could be like the stallion, or the bull, or whatever the hell he jumps on. It’s very similar. It’s adrenalized. It’s brief. You’re linked to something larger than yourself. And you literally have to ride it out. Or not be gored by it. It really is a logical link. In the song “When Leon Spinx Moved Into Town.” Maybe I’m reading this wrong, but the song begins with the declaration that, “Our sex became a boxer.” Again I’m linking sex… But I’m not even really sure if Leon Spinx did move into town. Is this to be taken as metaphor?

TR: Have you ever had a relationship with a person-a friendship or a fight or sex or whatever-where the two of you together create another being. That’s all it was. And filling in the blanks. And he did move in.

JK: But it’s interesting that, in the song, you don’t talk about it. They’re “not saying anything.”

TR: If you’re in it, it’s really hard to, uh…

JK: Well how do you step away from it-especially if it’s a violent thing? If love has become a boxer, that implies violence. Even the most beautiful of fights, ultimately it’s bent on one person being rendered unable to move.

TR: But together you become this destructive machine. There is no awareness. You’ve become a destructive machine. It’s really fun to feel that power. And it’s also really really scary. And it’s also pretty brainless. You know?

JK: Yeah boxing and intelligence…

TR: One alone is this. One alone is that. The two together become this being. I think our spirits meet in that kind of way too. I think of two people’s mutual essences that way. I think it really does make another being. It’s no ones’ fault that it had to happen that way. It’s something that you have to experience.

JK: Sometimes the energy that is created is not a good thing. I mean to get back to the boxing idea, ultimately it’s a bloody sport-

TR: -But to have had that experience, to feel that is necessary. There’s no such thing as good and bad. Because in the long run, everything is just what it is. You can’t say that it’s all negative, because what’s going to come out, that experience is something that had to be. You created that. You had to do it. No matter how bad it is you had to experience it. This person had to die.

JK: And how do you quantify something like that? Why do you define it? Perhaps this is what allows another theme to run through your songs, which is…well…abuse. I think of the line, “The way you kiss your uncle on the mouth,” from the song “Michigan Girls.” Where does that song come from?

TR: It didn’t feel like abuse to me. It felt like fantasizing. You know? I used to go up there for vacation. I can spot a Michigan Girl from a mile away. And it was just about watching a moment. What was so beautiful about it—it was this microscopic view of a beautiful body. And also this body finding power. This girl finding power, finding her own power. The kissing her uncle thing was like, she knows her uncle is looking and now she’s starting to understand it-

JK: --and use it. But it’s also, obviously taboo-

TR: -I have seen that ****.

JK: Well that’s the thing: everyone has. If you haven’t been part of it yourself, you know someone who has.

TR: It’s beautiful. And interesting to watch. And if you know what’s going on, it’s really interesting to be a part of it too. We both play. I mean we’ve all played both parts. In anything that anybody writes, I think even anything anybody dreams, you are every character. You are every archetype. So in that song, I’m the girl. I’m the uncle. You know? I’m the sand.

JK: I mean, the line I really keyed in on, “God’s eyes are closed,” or, “God’s eyes are crossed,” even. There is an inability to focus. Is that God ignoring what is happening?

TR: It’s just feeling in the presence of a lot of things. And then feeling the presence of a personal joke.

JK: But you explode God’s presence when you talk about “God’s eyes [being] crossed / just like yours.” That’s an interesting line because part of it is an inability to focus. But it’s also ironic in a way, because it’s undercutting what came before.

TR: I didn’t really think about it. I just kind of spit it. That song just felt like a moment that you would find beauty in. In everything. Because you didn’t really want to be feeling what you were feeling and you were still looking at that, was difficult.

JK: Then it does make sense, that joke at the end. Because that’s how people deal with it. There are two typical responses and one is to close your eyes. The other to make a joke about it, because if you can laugh about it, it didn’t happen in a way. To say it’s a beautiful thing makes sense on a certain level, though, because we are attracted, at least most people are attracted to things that would be classified as horrible. But you watch. And why?

TR: Well it’s something you might not understand within yourself. It doesn’t necessarily make it beautiful. It’s definitely part of you.

atomicAdam
07-22-2011, 03:13 PM
Davey -

Never heard of Califone but pulled it up on Pandora am I'm digging this. Thanks!

Davey
07-22-2011, 03:26 PM
Davey -

Never heard of Califone but pulled it up on Pandora am I'm digging this. Thanks!

Hehehe, if you knew me better, you'd probably instead be saying, "Enough already with your crazy Califone obsession!"

:crazy:

Slosh
07-22-2011, 07:04 PM
Don't let it get you down.

Stone
07-23-2011, 11:15 AM
Good choice, but I like The Mighty Lemon Drops version better. They do it as a straight ahead rave up getting rid of any psychedelia tinge. Good stuff.

http://www.amazon.com/Just-Say-Anything-Various-Artists/dp/B000002LPN/ref=pd_sim_m_4

Yeah, I've always liked that version too (and the bootleg Replacements' version) but still prefer the original.

Rae
07-24-2011, 08:08 AM
I didn't know it wasn't a Replacements song for a long time. But I agree with Stone, the original is by far the best.

~Rae

MindGoneHaywire
07-24-2011, 08:23 AM
Stone's avatar inspired me towards "Tooling For Anus."

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/1998/themeatmen1xk8.jpg

filecat13
07-24-2011, 12:11 PM
Yes the Joe South song, Hush, as done by the original Deep Purple circa 1968. The studio version is great, but it's always a blast to see these songs in context, sort of.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiXcqxms3Bs

:23:

NotreDameIrish
07-29-2011, 06:21 AM
I'm gonna have to say mayonaise by Smashing Pumpkins