Poll Time: Happy Sad or Indifferent about the End of Potter? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Poll Time: Happy Sad or Indifferent about the End of Potter?

Worf101
07-20-2011, 04:59 AM
The series is "OVAH" or so they say. But we who know how Hollywood really works know that one should never say never in the land of sequels and revivals. My simple question is are you happy, sad or indifferent about the final film in the Hairy Pothead film series?

Worf

ForeverAutumn
07-20-2011, 05:14 AM
I'm happy to see it end. I haven't read the books and I'm not a fan of the movies. I've been dragged to see them all by my fan-boy husband, but really I couldn't care less. I'll go see the last one only because I saw part one of the final movie and want to see how it ends. I found the creativity and cinematography of the films interesting, but the story was ho-hum.

Bye bye Harry. See ya on Broadway! (you know it's only a matter of time)

recoveryone
07-20-2011, 05:22 AM
I feel Hollywood should have learn something from this long running series, Each movie for the most part could stand on its own, It allowed the characters to grow naturally, and lucky for them each main characters did not have any major growth spurt that would look odd against the actors. Its appeal was broad (at first the tweens then growing with that group) which I feel help keep its legs at the box office over the years. Also K Rawlings ability to keep the story detailed and focus in her books, did not allow some directors to add there own flavor and kept the storyline even with the books, the LOTR series suffered from this, but again it only had the one book to work off.

I just hope they let it die and not try to squeeze more money out of it by making prequels of when harry was first born and the battles that took place that lead to his parents death.

dean_martin
07-20-2011, 02:34 PM
my money's on "indifferent" considering the demographics (we're all too cool to care, right?)

Jack in Wilmington
07-20-2011, 03:28 PM
I'm happy to see it end. I haven't read the books and I'm not a fan of the movies. I've been dragged to see them all by my fan-boy husband, but really I couldn't care less. I'll go see the last one only because I saw part one of the final movie and want to see how it ends. I found the creativity and cinematography of the films interesting, but the story was ho-hum.

Bye bye Harry. See ya on Broadway! (you know it's only a matter of time)

FA do yourself a favor and read the books. J.K. Rowling is the most read author of our times. We have a friend who never read the books until like two months ago and now she's on book six and she finally sat down and watched the first movie with us two weeks ago. It was just sooooo amazing to be sitting there with someone who had never seen any of the movies. We had to keep stopping the movie because she was just so wowed by what the characters looked like in the movie compared to how they were discribed in the book. It was sort of like someone at their first Christmas. I was 50 years old when I first heard of Harry Potter and I thought "Another childrens story", It is so much more.

bobsticks
07-20-2011, 03:31 PM
It's a cultural phenomenom that has bypassed me. I feel in no way less enriched for that.

Davey
07-20-2011, 03:57 PM
It's a cultural phenomenom that has bypassed me. I feel in no way less enriched for that.

Hehehe, I work in what is normally a pretty serious environment, but when the first part of this last movie was released a few months ago, a couple of my teammates were chatting about it like a couple young girls, oohing and aahing and talking about story lines, and magic, and all sorts of things that had me perplexed. I've seen a couple of the movies, but it has bypassed me too. Then again, I'm reading the latest from one of my favorites right now, Iain M. Banks Surface Detail, so probably not so odd :)

thekid
07-20-2011, 05:25 PM
I am sad but probably for a different reason than most. The movies have always been good, solid pieces of escapism. The movies themselves were something I have been going to see with my kids for the past 10 years. I just picked my daughter up from college (she is now almost 22) just so we can all go see the last one together just as we have done wih all the previous movies.

The end of the series represents for me a bit of the end of my kid's childhood and the time we spent together. Memories of those times are worth every $8 bucket of popcorn spent watching these movies!

ForeverAutumn
07-20-2011, 06:50 PM
FA do yourself a favor and read the books.

I read the first one back when there were only two or three. I enjoyed it but it was a kid's book and I had no desire to continue. Now that I know they are not all kids books I'll get around to them some day. But at the moment (and for probably the next few years while I work full-time and go to school part-time) I don't have a lot of time for pleasure reading unfortunately.

ForeverAutumn
07-20-2011, 06:57 PM
I am sad but probably for a different reason than most. The movies have always been good, solid pieces of escapism. The movies themselves were something I have been going to see with my kids for the past 10 years. I just picked my daughter up from college (she is now almost 22) just so we can all go see the last one together just as we have done wih all the previous movies.

The end of the series represents for me a bit of the end of my kid's childhood and the time we spent together. Memories of those times are worth every $8 bucket of popcorn spent watching these movies!

I know a lot of people who will be sad for this reason.

My sister-in-law read all seven books to my nieces, separately. She was reading the last book to the oldest while reading the fourth book to the youngest. We rent a cottage for a week every summer and there was a great tree there with a huge branch that hung over the lake. That was the reading tree. My SIL would sit there every morning and read to one kid and then to the other. I wasn't even part of the ritual and I have great memories of her reading HP to the kids like that. Unfortunately, the branch came down in a big storm a couple of summers ago. Right around the same time that she finished reading the last book to the youngest. Hmmmmmm. Coincidence or magic? :eek6:

JohnMichael
07-20-2011, 06:58 PM
One would think I would rather enjoy a young studious English lad with a wand but alas no interest.

Woochifer
07-24-2011, 01:46 PM
I only got through the first three Harry Potter movies. They never did much for me, and I haven't read the books. So, for me this is all a non-event.

Even if I felt the need to be among the geeks getting dressed up for midnight screenings, I wouldn't know what's going on, given that I missed the 4th through 7th movies. Last time I saw Emma Watson, she was barely entering puberty -- I don't need to be around a bunch of neckbeards fawning over how hot they think she is.

Besides, all this Harry Potter mania just reminds of the infamous South Park Lord of the Rings episode. Cartman's one-word assessment of Harry Potter fans is classic ...

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/APhdCSj-j8Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

kexodusc
07-24-2011, 03:43 PM
I guess I'm gonna miss Harry Potter. Never read the books, but other than the 3rd movie I found them all decent enough for what they are. Really surprised I lasted the whole way through. Hollywood could do (and usually does) a lot worse.

I think maybe only Saw and The Fast and the Furious have had as many movies pumped out over the last decade or so. Harry Potter by KO.

Feanor
07-24-2011, 03:49 PM
The series is "OVAH" or so they say. But we who know how Hollywood really works know that one should never say never in the land of sequels and revivals. My simple question is are you happy, sad or indifferent about the final film in the Hairy Pothead film series?

Worf
I've seem most or all (?) of the HP flicks, mostly because my wife liked the books and movies. For my part, though, I won't miss them at all.

As a teenager and young adult I love good fantasy as well as science fiction. But HP isn't quite the sort of stuff I liked then, much less now. Maybe it's just the juvenile tone, but I dunno.

NotreDameIrish
07-29-2011, 06:23 AM
I was really into the books, read all of them several times. Haven't even seen all the movies because I just wasn't that into them. I'll have to say indifferent, but I was upset when the final book came out.

3LB
08-15-2011, 04:17 PM
I know people who started reading the series after that movie first aired just because they wanted to be apart of the cultural phenomina. I know others who treat it as something important enough that I should've encouraged my children to read the books.

feh... **** Harry Potter

TheBattalion
09-09-2011, 08:09 AM
Sad, Harry Potter was a great ride and now it's over.

AliceWool
09-20-2011, 12:28 AM
When I was 15 I was crazy about Harry Potter (and abouy Daniel Radcliffe)) but soon I grew up from that.
ut still I can't but accept that Harry Potter sequel is a kind of masterpiece with lots of fans all around the world. But I don't like the end actually. I may seem to be quite cruel but I think that Hermiona or Ron or even Harry should have died at the end (I mean REALLY). The real end seems to be too simple.

starcolony
09-27-2011, 03:29 PM
IMHO, It is the finest long series of movies ever made. Each movie could stand on its own and the quality never waivered.

If only Star Wars could have pulled off such an impressive run. The first 3 were stellar. The next 3 were special effects movies created primarly to sell Star Wars toys. Such rubbish.

Even the Star Trek movie series was so hit or miss.

That said, it was time for Potter to end. Well done.

TR