Bluray films coming to BigLots stores [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Bluray films coming to BigLots stores

Smokey
07-17-2011, 05:47 PM
If you have BigLots store near by, you already know about their $3 DVDs. Now the store have added Bluray movies on display for $8. The selection is not huge, but I imgine they will add to inventory as time goes by.

The movies remember seeing on BR were Robocop, Total Recall, Rambo and few of other Sci-Fi movies.

Woochifer
07-18-2011, 08:32 PM
OMG! Does this mean you're gonna actually get a Blu-ray player? :cool:

Actually, $8 is no longer a huge deal for titles that have been out for a while. Around where I live, Fry's has weekly $5 and $8 deals on Blu-ray titles. Those titles you listed are from Lions Gate, and they've been a frequent sight in the Blu-ray bargain bins.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
07-19-2011, 08:59 AM
Amazon also has quite a few of the early Bluray releases for $6.99

Smokey
07-19-2011, 05:18 PM
OMG! Does this mean you're gonna actually get a Blu-ray player? :cool:

Not at current prices that are over $100. In the old day when DVD was king, the market was flooded with cheap DVD players with Apex leading the pack. That has not happened to BR players market yet as there are hardly any cheap no-name brand BR players on the market.

Woochifer
07-21-2011, 11:00 AM
Not at current prices that are over $100.

Are you saying that $100 is overpriced? C'mon, you got the HDTV, now see what it can really do.

Prices on first tier Blu-ray players below $100 are quite easy to find. If you can't find one, you're not looking hard enough.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?prodid=11646242&whse=BC&topnav=&cm_sp=RichRelevance-_-categorypageHorizontalTop-_-PopularProductsInCategory
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Toshiba+-+Factory-Refurbished+Blu-ray+Disc+Player/9884037.p?id=1218189013871&skuId=9884037

And Best Buy's selling the Panasonic DMPBD75 for $92.

In the old day when DVD was king, the market was flooded with cheap DVD players with Apex leading the pack.

And that was when DVD players were selling for $500, and the Apex players sold for $300. No name players are only a factor if they can undercut the first tier brands by a wide margin. The market for Apex and the other cheapo DVD players collapsed not long after the brand name DVD player price points went below $200.

That has not happened to BR players market yet as there are hardly any cheap no-name brand BR players on the market.

With average player prices down below $150 and easy to find for under $100, there's not much market niche for a no name BD player to fit in. If you're waiting for generic BD players to flood the market before pulling the trigger, keep right on waiting and waiting and waiting ...

RGA
07-21-2011, 01:54 PM
Smokey

Go to a pawn shop that has a 30 day return policy and pick one up cheap.

I would definitely recommend my Sony PS3. My friend has a rather expensive $200 Blu-Ray and the thing is SOOOO SLOOOOOOOW to read the disc and get going. The PS3 is fast very fast. I am kind of convinced that the PS3 is much better built.

Consider the average user of a PS3 - 12 year old boy who beats the crap out of them - they play games for 8 solid hours day in and day out. Sony can't possibly be making any money on them - they make it on the games.

Oh and I bought it for Blu Ray use but I am having much more entertainment from the games. Seriously they have very good story lines great visuals and the hours of entertainment per dollar is better than any movie. $20 for a movie and you enjoy it for 2 hours. How many times do you watch the movie in a year? maybe 3 times and that is doubtful since if you have 500+ movies like some folks you may only watch them once every 4-5 years. Fallout 3 I picked up for $17 and you get 100s and 100s of hours out of just that game.

And you get major stars doing the voice work (think animated movies) - Liam Neeson is the dad in the game and Malcolm McDowell are the lead voices. That's some serious talent - and they're now selling the game for $9. And unlike PC the game has far less to no bugs.

The PS3 would be a good deal at $300 just as a video game machine but it throws in a Good bluray player that is much faster and arguably much easier to download updates than other machines - some apparently make you burn a disc - what a pain in the arse that is. And I am betting the PS3 lasts longer because they're built to take more abuse.

Plus there is a whole list of other things the thing does - Netflix as a start. Free online content, you can store movies, films - it's an external hard drive to boot.

If Sony would put real audio outputs on the back - put back in their SACD ability I would pay another $100 easily. I wish they would come out with more variety in machines - PS3 and a PS3 Mk II SACD, and a PS3 Super Deluxe Edition.

What would my super deluxe edition be? I would incorporate the Meridian Soolos kind of interface with the PS3 box under it with three inputs for external drivers. With the Soolos interface and massive external hard drives it would be a full music server with massive space to store all the games on the machine plus a near limitless amount of music at full lossless. The Soolos interface is incredibly user friendly.

If Sony makes it rather than some small outfit like Meridian the price would drop to under a grand instead of 5 grand. Have an open port on the bottom - when the PS3 needs an upgrade you buy the upgrade video processing game chip upgrade module and stick it in.

Sony would have customers for life, you would have the upgrade modules as desired - better for the environment rather than replacing the entire machine. Music server industry would be bigger - download right to the machine and with the full on screen touch screen display you can get to any album instantly.

I suppose if they make something too good it's tough to sell something else later so right now things are always not quite right or enough.

Woochifer
07-21-2011, 04:40 PM
Smokey

Go to a pawn shop that has a 30 day return policy and pick one up cheap.

But, given how low Blu-ray player prices have gotten, how much money would you really save at a pawn shop? And the units being sold at a pawn shop are likely older models that might have more compatibility problems than ones more recently made.

I would definitely recommend my Sony PS3. My friend has a rather expensive $200 Blu-Ray and the thing is SOOOO SLOOOOOOOW to read the disc and get going. The PS3 is fast very fast. I am kind of convinced that the PS3 is much better built.

I agree on the PS3, but the more recent standalone Blu-ray players have made great improvements in their load times compared to the first couple of generations.

The first generation PS3 was overbuilt to an extreme, and as a result those units were very reliable (unlike the early Xbox 360s that were plagued by overheating and motherboard failures). Rumor is that even though those consoles originally cost $600USD, Sony still lost close to $300 on each unit sold. Subsequent revisions have cut costs, removed features, consolidated separate circuits into integrated chips, and substantially reduced the energy consumption.

Consider the average user of a PS3 - 12 year old boy who beats the crap out of them - they play games for 8 solid hours day in and day out. Sony can't possibly be making any money on them - they make it on the games.

Welllllll, actually the average age for a regular gamer is 35 years old, and the heavy video game purchasers average 41 years of age. The video game industry generates more revenues than movie theaters, and 12 year old boys alone cannot support that kind of spending.

http://www.theesa.com/facts/index.asp

With all the internal redesigns on the PS3, and drastic price drops on core components such as the Cell processor and BD drive, Sony is purportedly now making a decent profit on each PS3 console. They have room for a price reduction, and I would bet that will accompany their upcoming revised version (reduced CPU footprint and lower power requirements, which means lower weight power supply and smaller parts overall).

If Sony would put real audio outputs on the back - put back in their SACD ability I would pay another $100 easily. I wish they would come out with more variety in machines - PS3 and a PS3 Mk II SACD, and a PS3 Super Deluxe Edition.

That ain't gonna happen. Sony removed the SACD capability from the PS3 with the very first revision. It wasn't really that functional to begin with, given that it was limited to two-channel analog output from their AV output jack.

But, the PS3 remains a very versatile media server, and is purportedly quite adept at transcoding the various audio formats to high res PCM.

Smokey
07-21-2011, 07:13 PM
But, given how low Blu-ray player prices have gotten, how much money would you really save at a pawn shop? And the units being sold at a pawn shop are likely older models that might have more compatibility problems than ones more recently made.

Few times I've seen refurbished Samsung and LG BR players in Biglots store at around $79. It is factory sealed but have refurbish label on it. Usually any electrionic item they stock in their electronic aile fly off the shelf due to low price (like Curtis DVD player with HDMI for $29), but not refurbished BR players as that inventory was not moving too fast.

I think one reason might the price margin is too close to new unit. Or refurbished label scare poeple away.

Welllllll, actually the average age for a regular gamer is 35 years old, and the heavy video game purchasers average 41 years of age.

That is kind of surprising. I thought all those older guys hanging around the video games station at stores were buying games for their kids. No wonder some of those software games are so violent.

RGA
07-22-2011, 10:34 AM
Thanks Woochifer - a lot of good info. I had no idea the average age was 35. I was feeling pretty stupid to be liking these games at 37. So it appears I am not alone. They really are quite good. I am amazed at the detail and the work that goes into these things. The stories, visuals, and "world" that is created is very deep on a lot of them.

Smokey - Best-Buy Canada is selling a brand new Toshiba Blu-Ray not refurbished for $89.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/category/blu-ray-dvd-players-video-recorders/20206.aspx?path=5704a3862ba184c41c5dd63deaf10c66en 01

Woochifer
07-22-2011, 12:57 PM
Few times I've seen refurbished Samsung and LG BR players in Biglots store at around $79. It is factory sealed but have refurbish label on it. Usually any electrionic item they stock in their electronic aile fly off the shelf due to low price (like Curtis DVD player with HDMI for $29), but not refurbished BR players as that inventory was not moving too fast.

I think one reason might the price margin is too close to new unit. Or refurbished label scare poeple away.

Yep, if you can buy a brand new Panny BD player with HDMI cable and built-in streaming apps for $92, there's little reason to buy a refurb just to save ~$20.

That is kind of surprising. I thought all those older guys hanging around the video games station at stores were buying games for their kids. No wonder some of those software games are so violent.

Why would it be surprising? Who do you think can afford to pay $60 for video games? :cool:

Thanks Woochifer - a lot of good info. I had no idea the average age was 35. I was feeling pretty stupid to be liking these games at 37. So it appears I am not alone. They really are quite good. I am amazed at the detail and the work that goes into these things. The stories, visuals, and "world" that is created is very deep on a lot of them.

Considering the size of the video game industry, its appeal has to be much broader than just teenage boys. And it's those older gamers that can actually afford to pay $60 for a game.

The production costs for a lot of these video games now exceed those for movies, so it's a significant investment they're putting into these games. But, the payoff is huge, since a hit video game can generate as much or more than a blockbuster movie. With a kid, I don't have the budget or the time to buy a lot of video games, but LA Noire looks very tempting.

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2011/01/10/l-a-noire-new-tech-and-six-years-of-work-behind-epic-game/

RGA
07-22-2011, 02:41 PM
Woochifer

Is EB Games in the states? If so they sell used games with a warranty for an extra $2 for a year. You can get games quite cheap this way if you're willing to be a couple of years behind everyone else. Do you know if the article knows for sure who is playing the games. A 35 year old may be buying the game but his 12 year old kid might be the one who is playing them. In other words there may be a difference between who is buying and who is actually using.

Although I know a 50 year old teacher who loves playing his Black Ops - granted he teaches high school P.E. so he is probably getting his frustrations out - :)

Woochifer
07-22-2011, 05:09 PM
Woochifer

Is EB Games in the states? If so they sell used games with a warranty for an extra $2 for a year. You can get games quite cheap this way if you're willing to be a couple of years behind everyone else. Do you know if the article knows for sure who is playing the games. A 35 year old may be buying the game but his 12 year old kid might be the one who is playing them. In other words there may be a difference between who is buying and who is actually using.

Although I know a 50 year old teacher who loves playing his Black Ops - granted he teaches high school P.E. so he is probably getting his frustrations out - :)

Yeah, we got EB Games here. Generally, used copies of newer games will still sell for around $45, and LA Noire is a still a relatively new game. New copies of older games will fall down to around $20 within a couple of years. So, I do know that other channels for affordable gaming are out there.

For me, I just don't have much time anymore to get immersed in an elaborate video game. I used to spend hours on end playing the Grand Theft Auto series, but nowadays I'm more content with shorter app games on the iPod touch. A game like Angry Birds costs only $2, and I only need to spend a few minutes at a time playing it (plus it's age appropriate for my 4-year old -- can't exactly do first-person shooters while hanging out with her).