Help with sound in a balcony question [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Help with sound in a balcony question

all1knew
07-17-2011, 11:39 AM
Hello all,

I have a balcony in my bar. It is about 10' off the floor and has stairs going up. If I raised the ceilings from 7" to 9" on the balcony this would give enough head-room for people up there. I was thinking on either putting a few pool tables and dart boards up there as it goes about 25' back to the end of the building.

Then I got to thinking about what kind of sound that would produce for live music. Would a band up in a balcony sound better or worse to the rest of the bar down below? Is there anything I can do to improve the sound recreation and distribution?

Your thoughts and comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Bill

Sir Terrence the Terrible
07-17-2011, 12:36 PM
Hello all,

I have a balcony in my bar. It is about 10' off the floor and has stairs going up. If I raised the ceilings from 7" to 9" on the balcony this would give enough head-room for people up there. I was thinking on either putting a few pool tables and dart boards up there as it goes about 25' back to the end of the building.

Then I got to thinking about what kind of sound that would produce for live music. Would a band up in a balcony sound better or worse to the rest of the bar down below? Is there anything I can do to improve the sound recreation and distribution?

Your thoughts and comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Bill

You have a couple of choices here. You can install a hanging vertical line array that has a angle that can cover both the lower half and the upper half of the room. You can also have a floor based system with upper floor "fill" loudspeakers for additional coverage. Each approach depends on the overall height of the ceiling, and if you are doing live or recorded music.

all1knew
07-17-2011, 12:52 PM
You have a couple of choices here. You can install a hanging vertical line array that has a angle that can cover both the lower half and the upper half of the room. You can also have a floor based system with upper floor "fill" loudspeakers for additional coverage. Each approach depends on the overall height of the ceiling, and if you are doing live or recorded music.

Live music, for a band to play on a Saturday night. The room would measure around 20' wide and 25' deep with around 9' ceilings.

I don't know what a hanging vertical line array with an angle is exactly and would appreciate if you could visually show me in a photo or at least elaborate a little more.

Bill

Sir Terrence the Terrible
07-17-2011, 02:18 PM
Live music, for a band to play on a Saturday night. The room would measure around 20' wide and 25' deep with around 9' ceilings.

I don't know what a hanging vertical line array with an angle is exactly and would appreciate if you could visually show me in a photo or at least elaborate a little more.

Bill

With such a low ceiling, a line array would not work well. I would go with a stage based sound system, with upper fill loudspeakers for the balcony.

Stage speakers that would work in your room

http://www.jblpro.com/catalog/general/ProductFamily.aspx?FId=89&MId=2

stage subs

http://www.jblpro.com/catalog/general/Product.aspx?PId=298&MId=2

Balcony fill loudspeakers

http://www.jblpro.com/catalog/General/ProductFamily.aspx?FId=17&MId=2

This should give you a basic idea of what is needed.

This page contains all of the speakers you need for an entire system

http://www.eaw.com/products/speakers/midformat/index.html

SKMP123
08-18-2011, 04:20 PM
cordial saludo, para todos ...alguien me puede ayudar en decirme , el amplificador y a su vez controlador velodyne uld 18s4 serie II , cuantos ohmios tiene ... Regards to all ... anyone can help me to tell me, the driver amplifier and turn 18s4 Velodyne ULD Series II, how many ohms is.

dwayne.aycock
08-23-2011, 08:54 AM
I did a lot of sound while in college. I often did lights and sound in the drama department, and we had a pretty large hall to fill. It wasn't the loud passages that we had to worry about but rather the quiet / soft passages. In those occasions we hung a series of mics to the celing to a mixing board, and from the mixing board to the amps. This gave us the ability to adjust on the fly if necessary (depending on audience size), and the ability to make all areas of the theater have balanced and full sound. I don't see why this wouldn't work in your bar. An omni directional mic would work best, and maybe an EQ to remove some of the harshness caused by feedback.