Hersey III [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Hersey III

atomicAdam
07-13-2011, 06:25 PM
I just the Hersey III review in Tone and I'm wickedly curious to hear them.

I know they have been out forever but maybe some of you who have heard them could give me some insight based off my affections/dislikes of these qualities.

I like a speaker that possess not just the spirit but the body of the music.

I don't like bloom on the blow end but I do like a solid and linear lower mid range.

High end extension isn't super critical as long as glass breaking still sounds like glass breaking and a metallic ring/string sounds metallic and cymbal decays to its finish.

Mid range should be as revealing as possible for the price point.

Bass doesn't have to go boom boom - even if it is in the music. I live in an apt building...

Micro dynamics are a must - I love hearing the extra effort put into a guitar string pluck or the emotion at the end of a lyric. Also being able to distinguish a piano and guitar combating for your attention.

Styx
07-14-2011, 07:40 AM
The http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/ might be your best bet to get impressions/opinions with Heresy III.

Mr Peabody
07-14-2011, 07:40 PM
Adam, I have a set of the Heresy III. They are dynamic, lack bottom octave and I feel would sound best with a sub for balance, the mid bass is plump but makes a tom tom sound great. They shine with classic Rock but I don't think they will have the resolution you seek. Their sound leans more toward a Pro sound presentation but that's sort of been Klipsch's thing.

I recently set mine up in a pseudo biamp config and it seemed to improve them when removing the jumpers. I felt the bass hit harder and the mids glared less. I suspect the improvement is from eliminating interaction between the crossover for horns and woofer. If you listen to some I'll be interested in seeing your impression. I think the differences in our impression of the Omen Def was due to them being more critical to placement than one would think.

frenchmon
07-15-2011, 01:51 AM
I heard them as well.....I keep coming back with the idea...those things will be better in a large hall hanging from the ceiling while used in a PA system. Thats pretty much what they are, but people keep wanting to turn them into some great audiophile gear.

Poultrygeist
07-15-2011, 02:33 AM
I've heard them and they seem veiled compared to a good full ranger.

frenchmon
07-15-2011, 04:25 AM
Actually...the Heresy and Conwall speakers started as commercial speakers....

JohnMichael
07-15-2011, 05:43 AM
I have not heard the latest generation but when I listened to them in audio shops they helped me develop my prejudice against horns.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
07-15-2011, 10:40 AM
I have not heard the latest generation but when I listened to them in audio shops they helped me develop my prejudice against horns.

As you know, not all horns sound alike. Klipsch did not do a very good job at matching the horn's volume and efficiency with that of the bass drivers. As you turn up the volume, the problem becomes worse. This is how Klipsch was able to get the efficiency of 98db per watt. My custom speakers horns and drivers have identical efficiency, use wood horns instead of metal or plastic(no horn resonances), and when the volume goes up, all of the drivers volume goes up together. When you combine this altogether, you hear a sound that sounds more like a Ribbon or Electrostatic speaker, and unlike a horn loaded speaker. The sound is neutral, but you get all of the dynamics and pop of a horn loaded speaker.

Klipsch has done a much better at driver matching the Palladium series, and the newer reference series in their lines.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
07-15-2011, 10:44 AM
I recently set mine up in a pseudo biamp config and it seemed to improve them when removing the jumpers. I felt the bass hit harder and the mids glared less. I suspect the improvement is from eliminating interaction between the crossover for horns and woofer. If you listen to some I'll be interested in seeing your impression. I think the differences in our impression of the Omen Def was due to them being more critical to placement than one would think.

You bi-wired not bi-amped. You cannot bi-amp a Heresy. You also did not eliminate the interaction between the crossover for the horns and the woofer, the Heresy does not allow that at all.