Netflix Raising Prices Up To 60% [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Netflix Raising Prices Up To 60%

Woochifer
07-12-2011, 08:20 PM
Right on cue. As I've been predicting (http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=36434) for months, Netflix has made a major shift to their pricing tiers. While the basic streaming plan remains at $8/month, the DVD mailer option is no longer bundled into the plan options. The basic plan with the DVD mailer option now starts at $16/month, which is a 60% fee hike for people who stream and use the disc by-mail service. Currently, the plans start at $10/month and allow for unlimited streaming plus one disc out at a time.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-ct-netflix-20110713,0,4419525.story

Contrary to the tech press' obsession with streaming, 80% of Netflix's subscribers currently enroll in some form of combo streaming/DVD mailer plan. So, this is a massive price hike for the vast majority of Netflix's current subscribers.

Those of us who subscribe to Netflix know how many movies and TV series are missing from Netflix's streaming. This makes the DVD mailer an essential part of the Netflix service by filling in the many gaps in Netflix's streaming library.

Essentially Netflix is protecting the streaming business by now having the DVD mailer plans subsidize the escalating streaming content costs. DVD and Blu-ray acquisition costs have not increased, yet it's the optical disc mailers that are getting this massive price hike.

I subscribe to the $10/month plan, and while I like it, I'm not sure that I will keep it at $16/month. I would opt to scale the service back to an $8/month streaming-only plan, but my wife uses the DVD mailers for TV shows that are not available via streaming.

BallinWithNash
07-12-2011, 11:32 PM
i think its bullsh*t and all of us who had it should be grandfathered in on the old pricing ... do you know if the price is going up for those of us who have 3 DVD's plus streaming ?

Jack in Wilmington
07-13-2011, 04:59 AM
The new price of 3 DVD's plus streaming is $23.98 or $27.98 for blu-rays. I decided to cut out streaming and just do DVD's. I'm hoping to get to the movie theater more often now.

ForeverAutumn
07-13-2011, 05:04 AM
In Canada, Netflix is only available through streaming. We don't have a DVD option at all. After taking a look at the available content, I'm not even sure I'd get value out of it at $8/mth. The content here is very, very limited. They need to step up their game.

Worf101
07-13-2011, 05:17 AM
The new price of 3 DVD's plus streaming is $23.98 or $27.98 for blu-rays. I decided to cut out streaming and just do DVD's. I'm hoping to get to the movie theater more often now.
I JUST got of my Netflix account page. Cancelled streaming (I don't have a streaming capable device in my house) and went with just the Blu/DVD package. Sigh... you knew it had to go up sooner or later but 60%? Yipes.

Worf

markw
07-13-2011, 05:22 AM
We've currently got a "both" plan with one DVD at a time and just started streaming. For < $10/mo it's a no brainer. But now they make the cheap in me think, and homey don't like that.

I do note that the selections for streaming are quite limited but they do have a lot of TV programming that almost make it worthwhile. And, the quality for streaming, both video and audio (which is stereo), are not up to what one can get from a DVD.

So, if one wants to save money and go for only one, that forces a choice: Convenience with a loss of quality or deal with the mail for the good stuff.

Fortunately, we have a Blockbuster a block away that just dropped their prices to compete with Redbox, which is the same distance away in the other direction. ...and I could use the exercise.

L.J.
07-13-2011, 07:43 AM
Sigh....Guess I'll be dropping down to streaming only service.

pixelthis
07-13-2011, 09:40 AM
Right on cue. As I've been predicting for months, Netflix has made a major shift to their pricing tiers. While the basic streaming plan remains at $8/month, the DVD mailer option is no longer bundled into the plan options. The basic plan with the DVD mailer option now starts at $16/month, which is a 60% fee hike for people who stream and use the disc by-mail service. Currently, the plans start at $10/month and allow for unlimited streaming plus one disc out at a time.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-ct-netflix-20110713,0,4419525.story

Contrary to the tech press' obsession with streaming, 80% of Netflix's subscribers currently enroll in some form of combo streaming/DVD mailer plan. So, this is a massive price hike for the vast majority of Netflix's current subscribers.

Those of us who subscribe to Netflix know how many movies and TV series are missing from Netflix's streaming. This makes the DVD mailer an essential part of the Netflix service by filling in the many gaps in Netflix's streaming library.

Essentially Netflix is protecting the streaming business by now having the DVD mailer plans subsidize the escalating streaming content costs. DVD and Blu-ray acquisition costs have not increased, yet it's the optical disc mailers that are getting this massive price hike.

I subscribe to the $10/month plan, and while I like it, I'm not sure that I will keep it at $16/month. I would opt to scale the service back to an $8/month streaming-only plan, but my wife uses the DVD mailers for TV shows that are not available via streaming.

YEAH, that extra six bucks is gonna KILL ya, but you PAY
for sat radio.
I HAVE AVOIDED all of the strum un drang with one word...
REDBOX.
My only problem is the rednecks in front of me getting everything good before I DO.
Not claiming to be perfect, but I HAVE A SYSTEM AND IT WORKS(thanks Klattu).:1:

GMichael
07-13-2011, 09:53 AM
for sat radio.
REDBOX.
My only problem is the rednecks in front of me getting everything good before I DO.

The sat radio charge is to get a service I didn't have before. It is so much better than AM/FM. The $10 to $16 hike is to keep getting what I already had (or even less than what I had).

Jack in Wilmington
07-13-2011, 10:14 AM
for sat radio.
REDBOX.

Plus Redbox around here doesn't do Blu-Ray. Does yours, or doesn't that matter? I like the convenience of not having to go to the store where the Redbox are located.

kevlarus
07-13-2011, 10:38 AM
REDBOX.

Luckily, a majority of rednecks don't have internet access so you can reserve what you want online, long before they get there ahead of you.

Woochifer
07-13-2011, 12:07 PM
for sat radio.

Talk about assumptions, I've never subscribed to satellite radio. And as GM pointed out, what does sat radio have to do with Netflix raising their existing service rates on their existing customers?

REDBOX.

Redbox's selection is nowhere near what Netflix provides, and Redbox serves a very different market because it focuses on recent releases.

RGA
07-13-2011, 12:27 PM
Umm people - it's called BTJUNKIE or other bittorent search engine.

Download any tv show and movie for FREE. Then if you like said tv show or movie and want a good quality version of it then buy it.

I pay for internet - no cable or sat. It's a ripoff to pay for advertising and netflix's offerings are pathetic - it's not worth $8 when the world is your oyster for your already paid for internet charge.

With the torrents you get what you want - most of which is difficult or not available on DVD or Blu Ray. Downloaded the entire series the "Practice" - when the hell is that ever going to come on DVD if ever? Bah why wait? Doctor Who the complete Tom Baker and John Pertwee run - sure you can buy a boxed set of a Season for a ridiculous $100+ dollars (which I paid for) but that's one season of Tom's 7 year run (and not the best one - key to time) and the quality is better than the download but - I connect the tv to the PC input and you pretty much get the regular tv broadcast quality - it's free and it's "good enough" quality. A truer original tv going experience at least.

Granted in Canada this is legal - don't know about the U.S. Uploading will cause you problems however i believe. But you are allowed to listen to CD's in the store before you buy. So my take on it is that watch it - but if you like it - buy it - support the artist and film/tv industry - So I downloaded Boston Legal - I liked it so I purchased the entire Series on DVD. I downloaded battlestar Galactica - I liked it so again bought the entire series on DVD. Downloaded Bob Newhart's original series - didn't really like it enough to want it so I deleted it didn't buy it.

Like the show Taxi - would buy it - they used to sell the series here but can't find it anymore so until I see it I am keeping it on my drive. Practice isn't available so I'm keeping it and some other shows I will buy when the price isn't absurd.

And if it wasn't for torrents I never would have likely watched a show like Dexter - and because of BTJUNKIE - I watched Dexter - told all my friends to watch it - I bought all the seasons that are available and so did most of them - so before you dump on downloading the film industry got a bunch of sales out of it than they ever would have if such sites didn't exist - because I would never buy HBO and never would have seen it. So because of downloading they sold a bunch of discs. Granted some people won't but some sales is better than zero sales.

SlumpBuster
07-13-2011, 12:28 PM
I spent way more than $16/mo at blockbuster before netflix, so I'm not complaining. I won't use a service like Blockbuster or Redbox that charges me for each day. I got kids and sh!t to do, screw that. I've had Robin Hood on blu ray for the last three weeks and haven't gotten around to watching it yet. And even at $16 i'll still get all my money's worth thru streaming. Netflix thru Apple TV is da bomb, yo!

Woochifer
07-13-2011, 12:56 PM
I JUST got of my Netflix account page. Cancelled streaming (I don't have a streaming capable device in my house) and went with just the Blu/DVD package. Sigh... you knew it had to go up sooner or later but 60%? Yipes.

Worf

I guess for people who don't use the streaming, unbundling the DVD-by-mail from the streaming service results in a lower fee?

Netflix's problem is that their streaming content rights fees are getting renewed at ~10X what they were paying just last year. IMO, they're screwing over their DVD-by-mail customers in order to pay for those huge fee increases.

Their problem right now is that Netflix's content costs are way outpacing their subscriber growth, so they have to raise revenue in other ways.

Uncoupling the DVD-by-mail service from the streaming subscription is one way of doing that. They avoided the ugly cancellation carnage that would ensue if they raised the streaming fees to match the content costs, so they're counting on the DVD-by-mail customers being more loyal patrons. We'll see how this all plays out.

Woochifer
07-13-2011, 01:37 PM
Umm people - it's called BTJUNKIE or other bittorent search engine.

Download any tv show and movie for FREE. Then if you like said tv show or movie and want a good quality version of it then buy it.

This is also very illegal, and a pain in the arse for most people who don't care to connect computers to their TVs. Netflix has grown to nearly 25 million subscribers because it's easy to use (the app is included with the majority of Blu-ray players and gaming consoles), it's cheap, and the content library (in the US at least) is huge.

I pay for internet - no cable or sat. It's a ripoff to pay for advertising and netflix's offerings are pathetic - it's not worth $8 when the world is your oyster for your already paid for internet charge.

Netflix's offerings in the US are far more extensive than what they carry in Canada. You have no idea what kind of an impact Netflix has actually had in the US market. By some estimates, upwards of 1/3 of all US broadband activity in prime time is Netflix traffic.

And how much bandwidth are you going through every month by torrenting? In case you haven't noticed, most ISPs are starting to impose data caps on their broadband service. Canadian ISPs were among the first ones to go in that direction, and their data caps start a lot lower than what we're seeing in the US. And because torrenting simultaneously uploads while downloading, it chews through bandwidth much faster than using another streaming site.

With the torrents you get what you want - most of which is difficult or not available on DVD or Blu Ray. Downloaded the entire series the "Practice" - when the hell is that ever going to come on DVD if ever? Bah why wait? Doctor Who the complete Tom Baker and John Pertwee run - sure you can buy a boxed set of a Season for a ridiculous $100+ dollars (which I paid for) but that's one season of Tom's 7 year run (and not the best one - key to time) and the quality is better than the download but - I connect the tv to the PC input and you pretty much get the regular tv broadcast quality - it's free and it's "good enough" quality. A truer original tv going experience at least.

"Good enough" quality doesn't cut it when you try playing it on a larger TV. The quality issue is the main reason I don't do much torrent downloading.

In the US, most current network TV series are now available online through the networks' websites (or Hulu, which is a joint venture funded by ABC/Disney, Fox, and NBC/Universal). Their sites also host several cancelled/completed series as well. The Practice, for example, is available for streaming on Hulu to US viewers.

And with Doctor Who, all of the revival episodes, aside from the current season, are available for streaming on Netflix, along with several of the classic Doctor Who serials.

Granted in Canada this is legal - don't know about the U.S. Uploading will cause you problems however i believe.

It's not legal in either country. Canada's status is more uncertain, and so far there have not been any mass P2P lawsuits filed. Just because actions haven't been taken does not mean that P2P file sharing is explicitly legal. Canada's in more of a legal limbo on this issue than anything.

In the US, the legal lines are more clearly demarcated. There have been lawsuits filed and the plaintiffs have won many of the judgments issued so far. Most of these cases are settled out of court, because fighting them in court is a lot more expensive.

The problem with using P2P is that your IP address is public information, and that can be easily culled by a plaintiff for a lawsuit. For example, over 20,000 P2P users in the US that "shared" The Hurt Locker were notified that if they didn't pay a settlement of ~$2,000, they would be sued. That case is still going through the court system, but it illustrates the risks that go along with the rewards of "free" movies.

And in case you didn't know, downloading on BitTorrent automatically means that you're also uploading -- and yes, it is the uploading that opens up the legal Pandora's box.

But you are allowed to listen to CD's in the store before you buy.

But, you're not allowed to take a copy home, or start ripping files in the store. And this listen before you buy service is not unlimited, and does not occur in every store. (good luck "trying before buying" at WalMart for example) It's not like you can just crack open a new CD and pop it into your CD player for your in-store listening.

And if it wasn't for torrents I never would have likely watched a show like Dexter - and because of BTJUNKIE - I watched Dexter - told all my friends to watch it - I bought all the seasons that are available and so did most of them - so before you dump on downloading the film industry got a bunch of sales out of it than they ever would have if such sites didn't exist - because I would never buy HBO and never would have seen it. So because of downloading they sold a bunch of discs. Granted some people won't but some sales is better than zero sales.

And Dexter is available for streaming on Netflix in the US.

You're really on a slippery slope with all this equivocating. Piracy is stealing, simple as that. If you're fine with it, then so be it. But, don't start with all this moralizing about how pirating Dexter was a good thing because you got your friends to buy it. I mean, I've done some P2P downloading as well, but I'm not going to sit here and claim that it's legal or find some farflung justification for it.

Woochifer
07-13-2011, 03:12 PM
We've currently got a "both" plan with one DVD at a time and just started streaming. For < $10/mo it's a no brainer. But now they make the cheap in me think, and homey don't like that.

That's kind of where I'm at right now. At $10/month, it is a no brainer. My wife catches up on previous seasons of House using the DVD mailers, and I catch up on Torchwood via streaming. But, overall I view Netflix as one of those nice conveniences -- much easier to jettison than Directv.

Fortunately, we have a Blockbuster a block away that just dropped their prices to compete with Redbox, which is the same distance away in the other direction. ...and I could use the exercise.

Netflix has competitive threats on all sides. Their DVD-by-mail business has probably plateaued, but their bottomline has been propped up by the explosive growth in their subscriber numbers since introducing the streaming service. This growth has come with even more exponential content cost increases. Their business model simply was not sustainable.

They're changing their price plans at a time when Amazon is about to make a big push with their streaming platform (they already have a $7/month video streaming service available, but it has a lot of holes and has yet to receive any significant marketing).

This is a gamble all the way around, because they're now imposing a big fee hike on 80% of their subscribers. Only the streaming-only subscribers won't be affected, and given that streaming is what has driven Netflix's costs through the roof, it remains to be seen if DVD/streaming subscribers cry foul over this by simply canceling their service.

Woochifer
07-13-2011, 03:19 PM
Sigh....Guess I'll be dropping down to streaming only service.

Good to hear from you! I might be following in your footsteps as soon as my wife finishes watching the remaining seasons of House.

Smokey
07-13-2011, 07:39 PM
Since I get their service for free, I'm not worry about the price increase :D

Woochifer
07-13-2011, 10:08 PM
Since I get their service for free, I'm not worry about the price increase :D

Oh right, with your "borrowed" password. :rolleyes:

Better not move to Tennessee anytime soon, since they just made password sharing a crime.

http://www.geek.com/articles/geek-pick/tennessee-passes-bill-making-netflix-password-sharing-illegal-2011062/

Sir Terrence the Terrible
07-14-2011, 09:33 AM
Okay, so I have to pay six more bucks a month...no big deal. While I only get their Blurays delivered to one address, I have streaming available at all of my residences. When you combine that with the ability to access my movie server(1500 movies stored and growing), I have movies coming out of my ears. One thing is for sure, I am never bored.

02audionoob
07-14-2011, 06:46 PM
It seems like I remember when streaming came along they added it to our service without a fee hike. If I'm remembering right, then we're just going to be right back where we started, if we cancel streaming.

BallinWithNash
07-14-2011, 11:37 PM
I'm cancelling mine and going to amazons stream service ... I get it for $40 a year ... screw you netflix!

Worf101
07-15-2011, 03:40 AM
Just a couple or random thoughts now that I've been thinkin' on this a bit.

1. My Costs: Yeah, I'm right back where I started by unbundling from a streaming service I NEVER used. I guess I'm not alone.

2. Netflix totally underestimated the negative response to this hike.

3. People will vote with their feet and wallets quite quickly on this as there ARE other alternatives out there.

4. I've no axe to grind with Netflix on this one, costs have gone up or are going to and to cull out the most expesive service and ask people to pay for it makes perfect sense.

5. Unlike the cable companies, at least they offered us a choice. I personally can't wait till FIOS hits my neck of the woods so I can tell Time Warner Cable to kiss my bulbous, Black ass.

Worf

07-15-2011, 09:37 AM
I'm cancelling mine and going to amazons stream service ... I get it for $40 a year ... screw you netflix!

Since I am a Amazon Prime Member, I get their streaming services as a add on. Since it has no app for the PS3, and I do not like watching movies on a computer, Amazon streaming services is too inconvenient. Even with the Amazon app on Playon, it does not look very good on a larger screen. Besides, they have pretty much the same offerings as Netflix.

Personally I don't know what all of the hubbub is about. It is just a six dollar jump in prices per month, and these increased prices will give netflix the capital to acquire the rights to more movies. Everyone should have known the prices would not stagnate at $8.00 forever, a price hike was bound to happen. Nobody on this website should be a bit surprised, Wooch has done an excellent job at keeping us abreast on Netflix's activity. His analysis has proven spot on, and I thank him for his participation on this website.

L.J.
07-15-2011, 11:30 AM
Since I am a Amazon Prime Member, I get their streaming services as a add on. Since it has no app for the PS3, and I do not like watching movies on a computer, Amazon streaming services is too inconvenient. Even with the Amazon app on Playon, it does not look very good on a larger screen. Besides, they have pretty much the same offerings as Netflix.

Personally I don't know what all of the hubbub is about. It is just a six dollar jump in prices per month, and these increased prices will give netflix the capital to acquire the rights to more movies. Everyone should have known the prices would not stagnate at $8.00 forever, a price hike was bound to happen. Nobody on this website should be a bit surprised, Wooch has done an excellent job at keeping us abreast on Netflix's activity. His analysis has proven spot on, and I thank him for his participation on this website.

Is it possible for PS3 to get an Amazon app eventually?

GMichael
07-15-2011, 12:24 PM

Dude? Is that really you?:thumbsup:

L.J.
07-15-2011, 01:17 PM
Dude? Is that really you?:thumbsup:

Sup GM, Wooch? How's parenthood treatin ya?

07-15-2011, 02:19 PM

They could add the app, but I think Netflix has nailed an exclusive that may prevent this.

Woochifer
07-15-2011, 02:47 PM
1. My Costs: Yeah, I'm right back where I started by unbundling from a streaming service I NEVER used. I guess I'm not alone.

But, a lot of people did get hooked on the streaming service. It was a bargain, and as it turns out, one that was unsustainable.

2. Netflix totally underestimated the negative response to this hike.

I think Netflix got caught up in the tech press hype. Techies usually focus squarely on the streaming service when discussing Netflix. In their warped view, optical discs have been extinct since the 80s.

The reality is that 80% of Netflix subscribers use the DVD-by-mail service. This means that 80% of Netflix subscribers will have to either pay more, or scale down their service. Netflix is protecting that 20% streaming-only group from price hikes, when in actuality, it's the streaming content costs that have actually increased.

3. People will vote with their feet and wallets quite quickly on this as there ARE other alternatives out there.

Amazon already has a less expensive streaming option available. But, they haven't done much promotion because it's nowhere near as refined or convenient as Netflix. Rumor is that they are readying a revamped interface and big marketing push towards the end of the year. I think that is what Netflix is scared of, and why they chose to keep the streaming prices the same and shift the costs over to the DVD-by-mail customers.

4. I've no axe to grind with Netflix on this one, costs have gone up or are going to and to cull out the most expesive service and ask people to pay for it makes perfect sense.

I'm not even sure people know about all the behind the scenes stuff with Netflix's content costs. I suspect that they are separating the streaming subscribers from the DVD-by-mail customers to try and limit their content rights fee increases. If they lower their subscriber counts, then they can negotiate the next round of content deals with the studios using that lower number rather than paying for rights on the millions of Netflix customers that don't use the streaming service at all.

It might even be a response to the current fee standoff they have with Starz/Liberty Media, which has forced the removal of all Sony Pictures titles from Netflix's streaming site. Starz/Liberty Media provides the streaming rights to Sony Pictures' library at a cost of less than $30 million/year. However, that deal also has a cap of 20 million subscribers. Once Netflix went over that limit, the contract was no longer valid, so they pulled the Sony Pictures titles offline. Their deal was already set to expire in October, but this accelerated the timetable.

Maybe after the dust settles, Netflix's streaming subscriber count will go back under 20 million, and the Sony titles will reappear.

5. Unlike the cable companies, at least they offered us a choice. I personally can't wait till FIOS hits my neck of the woods so I can tell Time Warner Cable to kiss my bulbous, Black ass.

Better hope that melanin-rich arse doesn't freeze easily this winter! :cool: Unless the Albany area is already served by FiOS, it won't be coming to a living room near you. Verizon stopped their national fiber expansion last year, in order to focus their efforts on closing the coverage gaps within markets that they already serve.

Woochifer
07-15-2011, 03:41 PM

From what I've seen, Amazon's streaming library is a far cry from what Netflix has available. But, they also sell and rent movies, which makes their service potentially more expansive than Netflix.

The issue with Amazon is that the user interface sucks, and the Amazon Prime plan is a bit convoluted in that its primary function is unlimited shipping on Amazon retail purchases. Amazon is supposedly prepping a new interface and big marketing push for the end of the year. I think that's when we'll really see how much of a threat Amazon poses towards Netflix.

It might only be $6, but that also works out to 60%. In absolute terms, $6/month is not much, but in relative terms, a 60% price hike on something you're already getting is a big psychological hurdle. My wife is already saying that she wants to cancel Netflix on principle alone, and I don't think she's the only subscriber saying this.

And Netflix's demographic includes a lot of people who otherwise don't want to pay anything for media content. I think that's why Netflix is holding the $8/month streaming-only plan intact. They're gambling that those subscribers that have the $10/month combo streaming/DVD-by-mail plan are less price sensitive than the streaming-only subscribers.

Netflix's position was untenable because they're trying to shorten the window before movies start appearing on their streaming site, and they're moving into original programming. Both of those initiatives cost a lot of money, and for now, they've chosen not to pass them onto the streaming subscribers.

In much the same way that Apple uses iTunes as a breakeven loss leader to promote hardware sales, I can see Netflix and Amazon trying to push for market share by subsidizing their streaming services. Netflix is in the most precarious position because their cash reserves are nowhere near what Amazon, Google, Microsoft, and Apple have at their disposal.

But, Netflix has a growing platform and moving into original programming might be a very smart move, because it insulates them from the exponential content fee hikes, and potentially gives them a revenue stream of their own as they syndicate those programs to other channels and release them in other formats (including ironically DVD/Blu-ray). With a hit series like The Sopranos, I think HBO made most of their money back with just the US syndication deal with A&E, and then you count the overseas broadcast rights, DVD sales. And that's before including the millions of HBO subscribers that kept HBO because of programs like The Sopranos.

If anything, Netflix is following HBO's trajectory. And that's why I thought that the future of streaming might be a balkanized landscape where Amazon has exclusive streaming access to certain studios' titles, while Netflix might have others. Much the same way that HBO, Showtime, and Starz each produce their own original programs and have exclusivity over different studios' movies.

Woochifer
07-15-2011, 03:43 PM
Sup GM, Wooch? How's parenthood treatin ya?

My daughter just turned 4! :shocked: Other than feeling old, parenthood's been quite good. :cool:

Good to see you back on the site, hope all's well in mo-town! :3:

07-17-2011, 06:50 AM
If anything, Netflix is following HBO's trajectory. And that's why I thought that the future of streaming might be a balkanized landscape where Amazon has exclusive streaming access to certain studios' titles, while Netflix might have others. Much the same way that HBO, Showtime, and Starz each produce their own original programs and have exclusivity over different studios' movies.

A balkanized landscape is just what the studio's want. That way no one entity has the power to play hardball come negotiation time. What they have essentially done is weaken all the players hands except their own.

BallinWithNash
07-17-2011, 10:15 AM

Roku box for the win!!!

07-17-2011, 02:38 PM
Roku box for the win!!!

Since Amazon brings nothing new to the table, it is not worth adding to an already complex HT system.

BallinWithNash
07-17-2011, 11:25 PM
its one HDMI cable and plugging it in ... it has wireless capabilities

mlsstl
07-18-2011, 03:48 AM
I've had a Roku for almost 2 years. Pretty neat little device. The first one I got went bad, but they replaced it under warranty and have been plugging along since.

I haven't made up my mind about the Netflix price hike - 60% is extremely annoying just on principle. However, much of their catalog isn't yet available on streaming. There is the option for limiting DVDs to 2 a month. Combining that with streaming would only be a $3 buck a month increase.

Right now I'm just waiting to see if Netflix does anything in response to the overwhelming negative customer reaction.

Worf101
07-18-2011, 10:39 AM
Better hope that melanin-rich arse doesn't freeze easily this winter! :cool: Unless the Albany area is already served by FiOS, it won't be coming to a living room near you. Verizon stopped their national fiber expansion last year, in order to focus their efforts on closing the coverage gaps within markets that they already serve. Ding Ding Ding!!!! They just started signin folks up in Smallbany, BUT, Smallbany ain't Troy, there's about 12 minutes./15 miles difference. I don't know if that means I'm in or out.

Worf

Woochifer
07-18-2011, 08:26 PM
Ding Ding Ding!!!! They just started signin folks up in Smallbany, BUT, Smallbany ain't Troy, there's about 12 minutes./15 miles difference. I don't know if that means I'm in or out.

Worf

You got a far better chance than I do, since FiOS is already at least in your area code. Verizon has indicated that they will expand, but only in regions where they already provide service.

In Cali, Verizon brought FiOS to the areas around LA where they long served as the local "baby bell" and they've expanded the service in a patchwork pattern. They're still filling in the gaps, and at the rate they're going, it will take years, if not decades, before the entire LA area is covered.

But, in the Bay Area where I live, FiOS has no presence, and it's areas like mine that Verizon has said will not get FiOS service.

Mash
07-20-2011, 04:44 PM
I believe NETFLIX pushed their agressive bottom-end prices until Blockbuster, for example, went bye-bye. Blockbuster tried to respond but simply was not nimble enough to adapt. Now NETFLIX has enough commercial presence that building the capability to receive NETFLIX along with wifi into Blu-Ray and DVD players is a selling point for electronics manufacturers.

There are many examples of disruptive innovation:

The mini-mills did not originally challenge J&L, US Steel, and the other large integrateds by producing finished rolled steel, but rather by competing in steel rebar, which was unimportant to the large integrateds. After the mini-mills drove the large integrateds out of rebar, they moved up to simple shapes, and so on upward, until eventually the minimills moved into finished rolled steel.

Toyota and Honda followed the same strategy by entering the econo-bottom of the US auto market, in which GM, Ford, and Chrysler were not really interested. The GM execs "knew" that everyone wanted to drive a Cadillac, so they viewed all their other models as mere stepping stones for the American auto buyer to reach the Caddy and therefor were not really worth "defending". Eventially Toyota moved all the way upmarket and introduced their Lexus line, and the rest is bailout history.

pixelthis
07-21-2011, 02:28 PM
I believe NETFLIX pushed their agressive bottom-end prices until Blockbuster, for example, went bye-bye. Blockbuster tried to respond but simply was not nimble enough to adapt. Now NETFLIX has enough commercial presence that building the capability to receive NETFLIX along with wifi into Blu-Ray and DVD players is a selling point for electronics manufacturers.

There are many examples of disruptive innovation:

The mini-mills did not originally challenge J&L, US Steel, and the other large integrateds by producing finished rolled steel, but rather by competing in steel rebar, which was unimportant to the large integrateds. After the mini-mills drove the large integrateds out of rebar, they moved up to simple shapes, and so on upward, until eventually the minimills moved into finished rolled steel.

Toyota and Honda followed the same strategy by entering the econo-bottom of the US auto market, in which GM, Ford, and Chrysler were not really interested. The GM execs "knew" that everyone wanted to drive a Cadillac, so they viewed all their other models as mere stepping stones for the American auto buyer to reach the Caddy and therefor were not really worth "defending". Eventially Toyota moved all the way upmarket and introduced their Lexus line, and the rest is bailout history.

Your view of what happened to BLOCKBUSTER is a bit simplistic.
BLOCK did not fail through any fault of their own, they failed
because their business model was obsolete. every
video store in my town except the one that does tanning beds and porn is gone. You stream a video and you don't have to take it back, pay late fees, etc. AND WHILE it has its limits, redbox replaces an entire store of employees quite nicely.
TALK ABOUT a tempest in a teapot. THE CHEAPSKATES
will gripe and pay and the more reasonable will just pay.
THEY KNOW its a bargain. Meanwhile the video store has
passed into tech history, along with record stores, eight track,
laser, etc.:1: