Please help a noob pick 5.1 speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Please help a noob pick 5.1 speakers

Ry Manchu
07-11-2011, 07:31 AM
Hello to everyone. This is my first post, though I have searched and read many threads on this forum regarding speakers, receivers and cables.

I had an old marantz receiver and two altec-lansing speakers that finally died and I decided to go with a 5.1 system to replace it. I purchased an Integra DTR-70.1 receiver and a Craigsub 18.1 and plan to purchase a seperate amp or two in the future. My rear speakers will go on the wall behind me, so from what I have read dipole is the way to go. The speakers will be run 60/40 music/HT and I mostly listen to rock. I want to put three bookshelf/monitor speakers in the front and use PLIIz. I have narrowed down to these three:

RBH 61-SE/R $1262/pr
Paradigm Studio 20 $986/pr
Polk Lsi7 $550/pr

There aren't many stores that carry these in my area, and no store carries more than one of these. I'm going to try to set up an in-home audition, but I wanted to hear opinions from knowledgeable people that might have compared any of these. If there are any kits that are better, I would be willing to look into these, as well. Thank you in advance.

Mr Peabody
07-11-2011, 03:59 PM
Nice receiver, my personal choice to match would be the Paradigm. If you like to Rock I doubt you'd be happy with the Polk.

Not sure pricing but you might want to give Dynaudio's, Excite series a listen. Actually, Dynaudio has even a less expensive line now but I forgot the name of the series and have yet to hear any.

Monitor Audio may also be an option for you.

Ry Manchu
07-12-2011, 05:55 AM
Thank you for the reply. I'll look into the Monitor Audio gold and platinum line.

bobsticks
07-12-2011, 08:48 AM
Hey Ry,

You're on the right track, IMO. I've enjoyed the Paradigm experience and have heard good things about the Monitor as well. Dynaudio makes some quality gears but may be a little salty for your price range.

I too have owned Polks and found them less than satisfactory.

---sticks

Ry Manchu
07-13-2011, 09:32 AM
Thank you for the reply bobsticks.

Xytech
08-09-2011, 07:47 AM
I've heard good things about the Paradigms! :)

lomarica
08-10-2011, 08:54 AM
I have the P studio 20's and have been very satisfied. Just watched a bluray Last Emperor which was only in two channel and it was still very good sound.

Enochrome
08-10-2011, 10:04 PM
I have used Paradigm Mini Monitors for blue-rays and they are really good. They have an exceptional midrange and they go as low as a monitor can, which is great for me because I don't have a sub. I thought they wouldn't be very good for movies because they did so well with two channel music, but they surprised me.

Enochrome
08-10-2011, 10:12 PM
Oh, and I heard the Paradigm Studio 10's when I was auditioning the Mini's. What separated them from the Mini's was that they had more control with the dynamics, better high frequency extension and they slightly reached further around the corner for more dimension, so the 20's must excel at those exponentially.