SACD 2 Channel Output - I'm Confused... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : SACD 2 Channel Output - I'm Confused...

Sammy EX
04-13-2004, 09:08 PM
I recently purchased a DVD player that supports SACD, but I don't have 6 channel analog inputs on my receiver. I want to hook up the player to support 2 channel SACD, but my question is whether I should connect the RCA's to the left/right front speaker output of the 6 channel out or to the standard left/right analog output? I don't know if the full SACD signal would be sent through the standard output or a dumbed down 16 bit / 48 kHz signal. I'd appreciate if someone could clarify if there's a difference.

mtrycraft
04-13-2004, 09:16 PM
I recently purchased a DVD player that supports SACD, but I don't have 6 channel analog inputs on my receiver. I want to hook up the player to support 2 channel SACD, but my question is whether I should connect the RCA's to the left/right front speaker output of the 6 channel out or to the standard left/right analog output? I don't know if the full SACD signal would be sent through the standard output or a dumbed down 16 bit / 48 kHz signal. I'd appreciate if someone could clarify if there's a difference.

If you have a standard L/R out, not part of the 6 channel, use that so it will contain all the music in those two channels and may want to try Dolby pro logic on it.
If you use the l/r from the 6 ch outs, you will loose the info in the other channels that may convey some info in the two channels.

Woochifer
04-13-2004, 09:25 PM
Use the analog inputs. SACD players don't output the signal digitally -- that's part of the copy protection scheme that SACD uses. I believe that some DVD-A players will downconvert the signal into a digital output, but DVD-A is a PCM-based format so it can be done easier.

Also, all SACDs come with a two-channel soundtrack, so you'll at least be able to get that enjoyment out of your system. The only thing you're missing is the multichannel playback.

Sammy EX
04-13-2004, 09:27 PM
So will I still get the full SACD signal through the standard analog outputs or only a 16 bit / 48 kHz signal? I don't want to buy SACD's only to have them output a standard CD's sampling rate.

Woochifer
04-13-2004, 09:33 PM
So will I still get the full SACD signal through the standard analog outputs or only a 16 bit / 48 kHz signal? I don't want to buy SACD's only to have them output a standard CD's sampling rate.

That's an off-topic question. The sampling rate that you're describing is a PCM-based signal. SACD uses DSD decoding, which is a one-bit signal sampled with a very high sampling rate. Because of its copy protection watermarking, SACD can ONLY be output through the analog outputs. The analog output IS the full SACD signal. If your receiver does not have an analog bypass, then that analog SACD output will get converted to digital and then reconverted to analog. Depending on how old your receiver is, it very well might process all analog signals at 16-bit.

Sammy EX
04-13-2004, 09:35 PM
Thanks for clarifying that for me. I have a Harman Kardon AVR 110, so I guess I'll need to look into whether it has an analog bypass or not.

krabapple
08-09-2004, 01:55 PM
Just FYI, there are a few players out there that can output multichannel or stereo SACD (and DVD-A) digitally, to a compatible receiver, using a single Firewire-type connection. Pioneer has had sucha combo out for a year or so, for example. All decoding and processing is then done in the digital domain, in the receiver. Thse sorts of connection are cropping up on more new players/receivers, but the coming thing is HDMI connections, that can pass hi-rez audio *and video.

Woochifer
08-10-2004, 08:07 AM
Just FYI, there are a few players out there that can output multichannel or stereo SACD (and DVD-A) digitally, to a compatible receiver, using a single Firewire-type connection. Pioneer has had sucha combo out for a year or so, for example. All decoding and processing is then done in the digital domain, in the receiver. Thse sorts of connection are cropping up on more new players/receivers, but the coming thing is HDMI connections, that can pass hi-rez audio *and video.

The only thing with that approach is that it's proprietary and typically only available with the most expensive flagship model. For example, you cannot mix and match the Denon and Pioneer digital link products.

The firewire and HDMI connections are capable of carrying any number of digital signals, but SACD and DVD-A are not part of that because of the copy protection schemes associated with those formats.

krabapple
08-18-2004, 02:07 PM
The only thing with that approach is that it's proprietary and typically only available with the most expensive flagship model. For example, you cannot mix and match the Denon and Pioneer digital link products.

The firewire and HDMI connections are capable of carrying any number of digital signals, but SACD and DVD-A are not part of that because of the copy protection schemes associated with those formats.

Actually, brand interoperability of firewire connections has already been reported for some combinations (e.g. Pioneer player and Yamaha receiver). See this thread on avsforum.com

Standard DVD-Audio DIGITAL Interface? When? (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=4217526#post4217526)

And while HDMI cannot pass SACD/DVD-A due to copy protection crippling, Firewire definitely can.

Pioneer is reportedly coming out with a cheap-ish firewire-enabled universal player this year.,