Gotta love vinyl fans... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Gotta love vinyl fans...

RGA
07-09-2011, 11:14 AM
An audiophile with a big time vinyl rig actually bothered to make a youtube video of his rig playing Eva Cassidy LP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0Ha7l5kFXo

Someone videos a sibling of my turntable - in a complete system - people have too much time on their hands - but then again I spent time listening to it. :9:

Sounds good through my TV too. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddfz99K2Uf8

Also I would love to know who the artist playing the second link is - I have heard him before but I can't place him - I can then go out and buy some albums

JohnMichael
07-09-2011, 12:48 PM
Under the green bar where it reads artist it lists Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble.

RGA
07-09-2011, 01:57 PM
Thanks - of course I can't see it when it's right in front of me.

SlumpBuster
07-10-2011, 07:08 AM
You gotta get out more RGA. These turntable videos have been a godsend for 45 collectors. There are tons of the videos, but they tend to focus on the record and not the deck. Lots and lots of out of print stuff. There are grand swaths of material prior to 1975 that will never see reprints or iTunes.

Check it out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJW643hIKMw

I love the first comment on this video, "I've had arguments that this group even existed!"

http://youtu.be/XgMBzYcoq5w

Up loading and watching videos of all this lost wax is great fun.

YBArcam
07-10-2011, 03:18 PM
Damn, that AN system sounds so pure and transparent! I know it's just a lousy YT video, but still.

RGA, I'm not sure exactly when, but I've pretty much decided to try a SET amp and high efficiency speakers. I want to hear a real minimalist design, zero negative feedback, no crossover, etc. There is obviously Zu...Coincident and AN on the higher end. But I've had my eye on the Decware DM945 - seems like it may be a very good value. http://www.decware.com/newsite/DM945.html

atomicAdam
07-11-2011, 09:08 AM
best sound i've heard from youtube yet.

RGA
07-11-2011, 10:09 AM
I wonder what the camera was the guy used - must have a reasonably good mic in there.

YBArcam - they are even getting John Atkinson to come around a little. He's the measurements guru. I think the key is musicality - I know everyone hates the overused words but there is always going to be accuracy versus musicality debates. Virtually every reviewer describes AN systems as being "transparent." Which to me is the same as accuracy in at least the sense that it gets out of the way.

Here is John Atkinson discussing his engineer hat and his musician's hat. This was posted today by John Atkinson
http://www.stereophile.com/content/audionote

Expressiveness in a system is so important - it's the goose-bump factor when listening to piano and that "magic" content that Peter Qvortrup gets so very few others get. And at least it is music motivated - the people working there who used to work for other premium companies and the music knowledge is ridiculous.

John Atkinson will be converted - it just takes the "science" types a little longer - they latch onto what they read and see not what they feel and hear. But he's coming around - Wes Philips was the same and it will come. Once they stop blathering about frequency response and crossover points and driver materials and boxed versus unboxed sound and just play the damn record/CD sit back and relax.

vintage_or_bust
07-11-2011, 02:56 PM
I lol'd

atomicAdam
07-11-2011, 03:22 PM
I wonder what the camera was the guy used - must have a reasonably good mic in there.

I'd think he was most likely going into a PC and just sync'd up the video and audio. Not that one can really tell. I mean - technically it could be video of any record spinning and a rip or whatever - even a digital edit - on top. One can't 'really' know unless actually there.

YBArcam
07-11-2011, 03:51 PM
I was leaning in this direction already RGA, but lately I've been reading Arthur Salvatore's site. For all the controversy he stirs up, I think he does a good job explaining why single ended amp based systems sound so good. Basically, everything you put in the path of the signal degrades it to some degree. And it makes sense...push the signal through a bunch of capacitors, or subject it to negative feedback which causes phase errors, etc. It simply won't be the same as it was at first. Certain things may measure better but that does not mean that the music has been kept intact. To keep it intact you have to mess with it as little as possible.

02audionoob
07-11-2011, 09:41 PM
They must have set up microphones for that recording. Here's a recording through my point-and-shoot camera, which has a microphone the size of a pin hole.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1xhtfNcTzw

RGA
07-11-2011, 10:46 PM
I was leaning in this direction already RGA, but lately I've been reading Arthur Salvatore's site. For all the controversy he stirs up, I think he does a good job explaining why single ended amp based systems sound so good. Basically, everything you put in the path of the signal degrades it to some degree. And it makes sense...push the signal through a bunch of capacitors, or subject it to negative feedback which causes phase errors, etc. It simply won't be the same as it was at first. Certain things may measure better but that does not mean that the music has been kept intact. To keep it intact you have to mess with it as little as possible.

The less is more mantra is strong and I agree with it "mostly"

SET has that advantage but why stop there - cumulative effect. Listen to a SET with an Audio Note CD player - Peter says the same thing Arthur says in this Youtube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEUW3Y7IZRA&feature=related

atomicAdam
07-13-2011, 01:22 PM
The less is more mantra is strong and I agree with it "mostly"

SET has that advantage but why stop there - cumulative effect. Listen to a SET with an Audio Note CD player - Peter says the same thing Arthur says in this Youtube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEUW3Y7IZRA&feature=related

RGA - I heard the new $150k DAC and $90K amp at CES and CD - Not sure which one - yikes - it was really oach. Not nearly the same experience I had at the first CAS where I was blown away by the sound.

RGA
07-13-2011, 04:58 PM
RGA - I heard the new $150k DAC and $90K amp at CES and CD - Not sure which one - yikes - it was really oach. Not nearly the same experience I had at the first CAS where I was blown away by the sound.

I wasn't there but I have yet to hear them sound truly problematic. And there are reports that people liked the room better than anything else at the show CES 2011. At CES 2010 the expensive room had some problems the first couple of days but got it right the last couple. And the inexpensive (relative) was actually the better sounding room of the two the first couple of days. But they did fix it up.

atomicAdam
07-13-2011, 07:59 PM
I wasn't there but I have yet to hear them sound truly problematic. And there are reports that people liked the room better than anything else at the show CES 2011. At CES 2010 the expensive room had some problems the first couple of days but got it right the last couple. And the inexpensive (relative) was actually the better sounding room of the two the first couple of days. But they did fix it up.

I only heard the set up on the 1st day I believe. The sound from the DAC and CD was so in your face it was like being yelled at by an angry wife. At least that was my experience which kind of ties in to my opinion of the DAC 1 Sig I have on hand. It really pushes the music forward. In fact when I've run the DAC 1 Sig between the Electrocompaniet PI-1 amplifier and CP1 CDP - the sound from the DAC 1 Sig is louder than the XLR cable between the same amp and CDP. It can be very brutal at times. Actually with the WyWire ICs it does tame the top end a bit but with Granite Audio or others the sound is so abrasive. Not high pitched or harsh - just kind of edgy and certainly in your face. That is the experience I had listening to the $150k DAC. Doesn't make it 'wrong' but it isn't really what I'm into. Now TT2 at the show was f'ing awesome on the Jinro and speakers. WOW.

RGA
07-14-2011, 10:26 AM
I only heard the set up on the 1st day I believe. The sound from the DAC and CD was so in your face it was like being yelled at by an angry wife. At least that was my experience which kind of ties in to my opinion of the DAC 1 Sig I have on hand. It really pushes the music forward. In fact when I've run the DAC 1 Sig between the Electrocompaniet PI-1 amplifier and CP1 CDP - the sound from the DAC 1 Sig is louder than the XLR cable between the same amp and CDP. It can be very brutal at times. Actually with the WyWire ICs it does tame the top end a bit but with Granite Audio or others the sound is so abrasive. Not high pitched or harsh - just kind of edgy and certainly in your face. That is the experience I had listening to the $150k DAC. Doesn't make it 'wrong' but it isn't really what I'm into. Now TT2 at the show was f'ing awesome on the Jinro and speakers. WOW.

My reaction to the 1.1 one box is that it leans thin and lean sounding but at Soundhounds it's still better than anything else in the store and much much better than the Bryston CD player which uses the same transport and a comparatively awful sounding DAC. The 2.1 One box is fuller sounding with better deeper bass response. I've never heard anyone describe a DAC from them as being bright or in your face. And it seems AudioFederation had many positives from people. Though I have heard of many who didn't like the sound of their room early at a show. One reviewer said they disliked the room on the first day went back the last day and ended up choosing it as the best room they heard (this was not CES 2011 mind you but there are several show reports that indicate this). Fred Crowder mentioned a similar thing at CES 2010 in his coverage. But that to me was a set-up issue - the distributor does things that Peter wouldn't do.

AN digital is consistently and widely viewed as the most analog sounding CD player maker on the market and that is my perception hearing them - and I own the TT2/Arm3/IQ3 and that was my perception of the 2.1. But if the Turntable sounded good on the set-up then the set-up was not the problem. AudioFederation carries IMO the other best CD player maker in EMM Labs and in their view the AN kills it. So I have to think something was wrong there someplace.

I wanted to go to CAS this year but I don't have the money to fly down for it. I hope to work in Hong Kong and cover the show there.

atomicAdam
07-14-2011, 10:38 AM
Well - All I can go on is my experiences. And so far AN has run the gamut from loved to hated. So we'll see where this one lands.

thepogue
07-15-2011, 11:27 AM
love ti!!...BTW nice to see you still hanging RGA!!!

long time me brudda!

Dom
07-22-2011, 04:35 PM
I agree with the above