Guyamas Sonora by Beirut [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Guyamas Sonora by Beirut

Davey
07-09-2011, 10:36 AM
Beautiful song, a few years old now, but any of you big fans of Beirut's The Flying Club Cup? I'm sure a lot of you know it, but if not, give it a listen as I just upped the 24-96 flac vinyl rip to my Song of the Day (not my rip, http://flacforthemasses.blogspot.com/). Sounds quite a bit nicer and more natural than the CD, which is kind of flat-lined when it gets loud. I did normalize it to -1 dB to get it up closer to the level of the CD, but that's all, no compression and limiting like on the CD. It's a little over 3 minutes and about 70M.

Davey
07-09-2011, 02:34 PM
Side effect tramadol!!!

Ahh, looks like Sticks invited his little Scandinavian friends back.... Sjáumst :)

bobsticks
07-10-2011, 06:47 AM
I like the ones that make you flow...not the ones that make you slow...

Smartass...:dita:

Good rec though...I was enjoying some Gulag Orkestar from that very album last evening interspersed with some Decemberists, Black Heart Procession, and Morrissey...fun stuff.

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-UJX0QpkhhU?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Slosh
07-11-2011, 05:08 PM
cacophony

Davey
07-12-2011, 06:59 AM
cacophony

This song? Guyamas Sonora? Or Beirut in general? I guess maybe a little when all the horns come in, it does have some of that Neutral Milk Hotel sound, and as you know, those guys did bring the cacophony on occasion.

BTW, speaking of NMH, there's a 24-96 vinyl rip of the song "In the Aeroplane Over the Sea" on my Song of the Day page. Do you have the LP? The CD is infamous for being one of the first true brickwall masterings, but as is often the case, the LP is much much better mastered and sounding (relatively speaking of course, with sound quality in this case being highly subjective, and not really the point). These cheap editors like Audacity maybe make it look worse than it really is, but graphic below from Holland, 1945 showing CD and LP ...

http://members.mailaka.net/davey/nmh_cd.jpg
http://members.mailaka.net/davey/nmh_lp.jpg

Slosh
07-12-2011, 01:14 PM
Beirut is a cacophony. NMH is a calliphony :) Got Aeroplane on both LP and CD, and I think they both sound lousy, but the LP is a little less lousy sounding.

Davey
09-02-2011, 10:43 AM
The Rip Tide, new one out now, supposed to be very nice. Anyone heard it yet. Think I'll go find a copy and check it out. If he can keep recording and selling records, this kid could be something very special. He was already pretty special as a teenager. Given a real studio and some financing, who knows what might happen. It is sometimes a fine line between cacophony and beautiful music, and part of that line is defined by the production, engineering and recording process. It sounds like that was more the approach on this latest one ... recorded at Old Soul Studios with some of our Elephant 6 friends ... Beirut: Recording The Rip Tide | Old Soul Studios (http://oldsoulstudios.com/2011/09/02/beirut-recording-the-rip-tide/)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Beirut, the band born out of the bedroom of Santa Fe teenager Zach Condon in the early 2000s, has come a long way fast. The night after I spoke with Condon by phone from his hotel in Belgium, where he was situated for a European press junket, Beirut played a show with Arcade Fire in London’s Hyde Park. (“I didn’t know [it was happening] until an interviewer mentioned it this morning,” admitted Condon, who says he’s notorious for not paying attention to schedules.)

While 2007’s Gulag Orkestar put Beirut on the map with its charming lo-fi production, catchy songwriting, and obvious nod to Eastern European folk music, the group’s new album, The Rip Tide, is what Condon classifies as “the Beirut sound crystallized into its purest form.”

“I’ve always had a fascination [with Europe],” says Condon. “I never meant to be an ambassador for Balkan music or French music. At the core of my music, I was always writing very American pop music. I was just using all these different palettes to keep it interesting.” So instead of the eight multi-tracked trumpets that bay out at the start of Gulag, The Rip Tide’s brass is more like the clean, simple lines you’d hear in a Motown song.

Condon first started recording music after his brother left for college and bequeathed him a Fostex four-track. He bought some Oberheim organs, a BOSS DR-202 Dr. Groove sampler, and a desktop Mac with Pro Tools and a soundcard in the back that you plugged two RCA cables into. He started trying to cure his teenage insomnia by recording late at night.

On Gulag, Condon enlisted A Hawk And A Hacksaw (and former Neutral Milk Hotel) multi-instrumentalist Jeremy Barnes to play drums in the studio, and got fellow Elephant 6 acolyte Griffin Rodriguez to mix the album. It was the first time Condon had seen the inside of a studio.

“I remember I was obviously very nervous and very excited,” says Condon. “They were miking the drums and every time we did takes it felt wrong. I had to convince [the engineer] – and, trust me, it was difficult because I’d never been in a studio before and he obviously knew that – but I walked into the room and took two microphones and placed them five feet away from the drums at waist-height. And it sounded amazing. It sounded so raw and real. It’s something that we’ve done ever since.”

Condon and Rodriguez, who fronts Chicago-based Icy Demons and was a member of the free-jazz group Bablicon with Barnes, have been recording partners ever since, and continue to employ Condon’s drum miking technique.

After Condon finished writing the songs for The Rip Tide, he convened Rodriguez and the rest of Beirut for two weeks at Old Soul Studios, a recording studio in upstate New York. Condon would sit at the piano while the rest of the band gathered around him and they’d go through one song a day from one in the afternoon until five in the morning.

“I spent so many years multi-tracking. You get one person in [the studio] and you wait ‘til they get the right take and you move on. But when everyone is playing, you always get these subtle variations.”

“I started with purely electronic, then moved somewhere in the middle,” Condon says about the evolution of the Beirut sound. “Around Gulag, I split completely and did the entire thing [acoustically]. There’s a drum machine behind some songs but it’s very subtle. [On The Rip Tide] I’m trying very hard not to rely on electronics as the rhythm section. I want the rhythm section to be totally natural.”

There is one song, “Santa Fe,” with its warm electronic opening beat, where Condon’s original demo served as a foundation for the other parts.

“I was visiting my parents and they kept my old bedroom exactly as it was,” he says when asked about the song’s origin. “There were two organs, a Farfisa and this other brand, and then a piano on the other wall, and a few other instruments lying around. I was playing with those organs and I got that repeater melody going. The organ has a program where you can hold down the drum machine and the chords at the same time.”

But, true to the acoustic purist in him (then as now), Condon says if he could play just one instrument for the rest of his life, it’d be an upright piano. “What would keep me entertained the longest and has the most versatility? I would have to say piano. It defines music for me.”

Davey
09-02-2011, 01:03 PM
It is sometimes a fine line between cacophony and beautiful music, and part of that line is defined by the production, engineering and recording process. It sounds like that was more the approach on this latest one ...

So ... it's off-Friday on a 9-80 work schedule, and I'm four songs in with another Lagunitas IPA in the history column, and there's good news and not so good (your perspective dependent). The cacophony is definitely dialed back a notch, not quite as much in the mix, less dense on the horns and other flourishes. But it is still too loud, with all of the dynamic peaks shaved off like a ten dollar haircut. Doesn't sound bad, just not nearly as good as it could've sounded. But good music ...probably ...it is just the first listen, afterall. Safe to say that they didn't waste any spare imagination on the cover art, though :)

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcShYmJ8tELW2xSq7jxGJbmkbu0sXEqF4 1j0-t2_1tyfE9beDsZAqQ

But don't pay much attention to the fluff above, this is some good stuff. I like it already, which is usually not the case with most music.

Swish
09-06-2011, 01:13 PM
So ... it's off-Friday on a 9-80 work schedule, and I'm four songs in with another Lagunitas IPA in the history column, and there's good news and not so good (your perspective dependent). The cacophony is definitely dialed back a notch, not quite as much in the mix, less dense on the horns and other flourishes. But it is still too loud, with all of the dynamic peaks shaved off like a ten dollar haircut. Doesn't sound bad, just not nearly as good as it could've sounded. But good music ...probably ...it is just the first listen, afterall. Safe to say that they didn't waste any spare imagination on the cover art, though :)

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcShYmJ8tELW2xSq7jxGJbmkbu0sXEqF4 1j0-t2_1tyfE9beDsZAqQ

But don't pay much attention to the fluff above, this is some good stuff. I like it already, which is usually not the case with most music.

...called 'Porch'. The owner has about 75 different beers and loves IPAs. They also make fabulous hamburgers (among other things), and the one with pancetta and smoked Gouda was flat out killer. I washed it down with a few of the Langunitas IPAs and it make for a great night.

nobody
09-08-2011, 05:20 AM
Beirut is one of those bands I've only listened to in bits and pieces but quite enjoyed whenever I have hear them. Maybe I need to give the new one some more focused attention.