Best bang for the buck LED's for a bar [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Best bang for the buck LED's for a bar

all1knew
07-06-2011, 08:21 AM
Hello all,

Wondering any opinions on the best bang for the buck LED's out there that I could use in a bar.

I am looking at a quality picture by a decent brand that has good longevity behind their products.

I am thinking I would need to purchase 4 of them, and around a 40", 42", or46" size.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Bill

Sir Terrence the Terrible
07-06-2011, 09:32 AM
Hello all,

Wondering any opinions on the best bang for the buck LED's out there that I could use in a bar.

I am looking at a quality picture by a decent brand that has good longevity behind their products.

I am thinking I would need to purchase 4 of them, and around a 40", 42", or46" size.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Bill

I would go with a Sony or Samsung LCD LED backlit set. LG also has good sets that I often see in bars and reception rooms.

pixelthis
07-06-2011, 12:28 PM
I WOULD SAY VIZIO, but their price is going up.
MOST sets are pretty reliable. FOR a cheap monitor for a bar
Dynex, etc (best buy) would be good.
ACTUALLY just about any set probably would serve, its more a question of what you should not get.
SANYO, TOSHIBA, INSIGNIA, wouldn't buy any of those.:1:

pixelthis
07-07-2011, 02:41 PM
PRICE is whats important, really, when buying for a business,
different priorities than buying for your HT.
I LIVE in a college town, and have heard stories, like one bar that keeps a stack of panels in the real, because sometimes a
mug will intersect one that is plugged up.:1:

07-08-2011, 01:04 PM
Vizio's do not offer quality picture so that would not make it a good recommendation. Good picture quality was one of the OP's requirements.

pixelthis
07-11-2011, 03:57 PM
theres quality, then theres beer goggles quality.
NEVER saw a decent monitor in a bar or eatery, sometimes
people go there to catch a game with a crowd, but as long as you can see it, that's fine. In most public situations viewing
conditions are at best minimal, and there is the occasional
beer mug intersecting the screen.
A HIGH QUALITY monitor in a bar is a waste of time,
nobody is going to notice, especially the great unwashed
who watch crap sets at home, a minimal monitor to them might be
considered an upgrade.:1:

all1knew
07-12-2011, 05:53 AM
Hello all,

Does everyone like LG's or is Samsung the absolute way to go for LCD's? I found some nice 48" LG's at Wal-Mart at 120 refresh and $828 per monitor; wanted to get some opinions first.

Bill

07-12-2011, 10:32 AM
Hello all,

Does everyone like LG's or is Samsung the absolute way to go for LCD's? I found some nice 48" LG's at Wal-Mart at 120 refresh and $828 per monitor; wanted to get some opinions first.

Bill

Bill, what model of LG are you referring to? LG has low performing, mid performing, and high performing models. The high performing models are not usually sold at big box stores.

Hyfi
07-12-2011, 10:47 AM
Vizio's do not offer quality picture so that would not make it a good recommendation. Good picture quality was one of the OP's requirements.

The other requirement was Longevity.

Vizio has not been around long enough to claim any status in that area and the set I purchased only lasted 2 weeks before developing a green line down the screen and also had a tuner problem where it only picked up 4 OTA stations.

Pix, we all know you love your Vizio but that does not make Vizio the Rule of Thumb for every inquiry about TVs, specially when PQ and Longevity was an original requirement.

pixelthis
07-13-2011, 10:26 AM
The other requirement was Longevity.

Vizio has not been around long enough to claim any status in that area and the set I purchased only lasted 2 weeks before developing a green line down the screen and also had a tuner problem where it only picked up 4 OTA stations.

Pix, we all know you love your Vizio but that does not make Vizio the Rule of Thumb for every inquiry about TVs, specially when PQ and Longevity was an original requirement.

I DON'T "LOVE" VIZIO, they are not my favorite brand(never was)
and sorry you had a bad experience, my oldest is still going strong at
six/seven years, still looks great.
I DISAGREE ABOUT "LONGEVITY, truth is that if these sets
were not reliable they would not be kicking butt in the market .
Sorry you had a bad experience, but have two or three before you
dismiss the brand.
IT TOOK several years, but after everything I tried
buying from TOSHIBA failed they made my "list" along with SANYO and a few others, but I gave them a chance.
ONE PROBLEM, unless extraordinary , is not a track record.
I WROTE off YAMAHA, at least for awhile, but just because a
receiver had a spectacular level of mediocrity.
Giving them another "CHANCE" WITH THE 400$ "audio
system" shown below, and so far so good.:1:

all1knew
07-16-2011, 12:48 PM
Hello again,

So would a decent LCD or Plasma be alright for a low-lighting bar?

Which is better?

Found LG 47LK520 LCD at Wal-Mart for $828.00

Found Samsung plasma's: PN51D450A2DX or PN13D450A2DX

Let me know your thoughts. Thank you!

Bill

07-17-2011, 12:48 PM
Hello again,

Which is better?

Bill

In a low-lighted bar either would work. In light controlled environments, neither panel technology has an advantage. In environments where there are high light levels, LCD would be preferable. Since this is not a critical viewing environment, then the LG could work out fine. In environments that require a more critical viewing situation, plasmas would be recommended.

If I were you, I would go with what is cheaper, especially if you are looking to get more than one set.

all1knew
07-17-2011, 01:37 PM
If I were you, I would go with what is cheaper, especially if you are looking to get more than one set.

I am going to purchase 2 sets to start off with right away. The bar they're going into is about 20' wide. The first row of bar-stools at the bar is about 7-1/2' off the wall, the second and last set is on the wall so about 18' total feet away from the TV.

They are in an area that is 70 feet long. Realistic viewing of the TV's need to be in a 50' long x 20' wide area.

How big should the TV's be?

My next question, is there any real downside to a Plasma? (I have heard rumors about burned images, etc. but you guys are the experts.)

I await your response and thank you so much for so far as you have been a ton of help.

Bill

AVMASTER
07-17-2011, 01:47 PM
Hello again,

Which is better?

Bill
you might want to reconsider using consumer HDTVs for commercial applications; while you most certainly can do it, commercial monitors have been built specifically for the type of usage you're planning,
capable of extended periods of usage, commercial monitors are far more reliable. Some manufacturers will not honor warranties if a consumer HDTV has been found to be used commercially.
just my 2 cents

07-17-2011, 02:28 PM
I am going to purchase 2 sets to start off with right away. The bar they're going into is about 20' wide. The first row of bar-stools at the bar is about 7-1/2' off the wall, the second and last set is on the wall so about 18' total feet away from the TV.

They are in an area that is 70 feet long. Realistic viewing of the TV's need to be in a 50' long x 20' wide area.

How big should the TV's be?

My next question, is there any real downside to a Plasma? (I have heard rumors about burned images, etc. but you guys are the experts.)

I await your response and thank you so much for so far as you have been a ton of help.

Bill

In this case, I have to side with AVMASTER. If I were you, I would consider a projector based system, with smaller 55 or 60" commercial sets to augment the viewing area. With a viewing area that size, only a commercial set would have the light levels, and ruggedness for everyday use. If this were a smaller bar, consumer sets would work. But at these room sizes, it would push any consumer based set to its limits.

all1knew
07-17-2011, 02:38 PM
Hello again,

A commercial set for something like this?

Those 27's worked fine for years, I'm just looking to upgrade. Sure, the TV's will be on 6-7 hours a day 6 days a week but would I really need a commercial set?

Bill

07-17-2011, 02:47 PM
Now that I have actually seen this bar, I would install 3-4 50" LCD's there. Or maybe a couple of 60" sets. I would not put a plasma in there, it would be pushed too hard to overcome the light levels in the room. I also would not buy a cheap set from Walmart, but get much better quality Sony or Samsung LCD set.

I thought the room was a lot bigger, but in seeing it, I don't think a commercial set would be necessary.

Another option for that room would be two 60" for behind the bar, and a couple of 40" hanging at both ends of the opposite seating areas of the bars. This way, no matter where you sit, you would have direct access to a set.

all1knew
07-18-2011, 06:57 AM
I also would not buy a cheap set from Walmart, but get much better quality Sony or Samsung LCD set.

So two of these would suffice?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sony/13422991

OR should I spring for the extra $150.00 per set and buy two of the LED:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Samsung-UN55D6000/15992353

What would the real advantages be of having LED vs. LCD's and how much energy does the LED save vs. the LCD's?

Bill

07-18-2011, 10:21 AM
So two of these would suffice?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sony/13422991

OR should I spring for the extra $150.00 per set and buy two of the LED:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Samsung-UN55D6000/15992353

What would the real advantages be of having LED vs. LCD's and how much energy does the LED save vs. the LCD's?

Bill

I would go with the Sony as I see no need in paying the extra $150 bucks just for the LED set. LED does save a little power over CCFL backlights, but not $150 bucks worth.

Smokey
07-18-2011, 04:57 PM
I would go with the Sony as I see no need in paying the extra $150 bucks just for the LED set. LED does save a little power over CCFL backlights, but not $150 bucks worth.

Agree, definitely go with Sony. Edge lit LED LCD are notorious for un-uniform screen brightness/darkness, and corner light bleeding called Flashing. It is still inmature technology.

pixelthis
07-19-2011, 11:18 PM
I WOULDNT buy a set larger than 42" for that space, 32" would probably be fine, 37" ideal. IF A 27" is doing the job now, sure an
increase in size is warranted, but too large would actually be
uncomfortable.:1:

Nasir
07-25-2011, 03:06 PM
I finally bought the LAST Philips 42 inch PFL 9803 Full back LED TV in the store nearby, and it was going cheap with a 5 year warranty!!! AND it was one quarter the price of my personal favorite 3D Philips Full Back LED tv minus the glasses and transmitter....

OK, its NOT perfect, has some issues with halos when a small and bright white object is displayed against a totally dark background etc.... the scrolling of credits at the end of movies is jitter free as is the judder free movements in action movies. The halo is not so disconcerting then.

Anyway. it has served to emphasize the fact that I need to have a matte screen and to really get the best out of my TV , I absolutely have to have a lot of HD channels, not what little is offered by my present cable TV suppliers or others in Portugal. The SD picture is SO standard definition that I have to give credit to countries like the USA where they ( from what I am given to understand ) jumped from ANALOG to HD Digital in one step and not like Europe where we are going from analog to digital SD with very few HD channels only.......SD just was NOT meant to for these LCD TVs..... at least in my humble opinion.....

All LED side lit tv are so competetively priced that it has become a matter of taste and price when considering their purchase, with only the top of the range models being the real decider when it comes to a purchase worth a a long hard scrutiny. I for one adore the new SMART Samsungs but their reflective screen is my main issue when it comes to pros and cons. Perhaps this is not such a big issue where everything around in the room is well lit and seating distances are not the same as for the sitting room at home like in a public place.

pixelthis
07-26-2011, 10:41 AM
I finally bought the LAST Philips 42 inch PFL 9803 Full back LED TV in the store nearby, and it was going cheap with a 5 year warranty!!! AND it was one quarter the price of my personal favorite 3D Philips Full Back LED tv minus the glasses and transmitter....

OK, its NOT perfect, has some issues with halos when a small and bright white object is displayed against a totally dark background etc.... the scrolling of credits at the end of movies is jitter free as is the judder free movements in action movies. The halo is not so disconcerting then.

Anyway. it has served to emphasize the fact that I need to have a matte screen and to really get the best out of my TV , I absolutely have to have a lot of HD channels, not what little is offered by my present cable TV suppliers or others in Portugal. The SD picture is SO standard definition that I have to give credit to countries like the USA where they ( from what I am given to understand ) jumped from ANALOG to HD Digital in one step and not like Europe where we are going from analog to digital SD with very few HD channels only.......SD just was NOT meant to for these LCD TVs..... at least in my humble opinion.....

All LED side lit tv are so competetively priced that it has become a matter of taste and price when considering their purchase, with only the top of the range models being the real decider when it comes to a purchase worth a a long hard scrutiny. I for one adore the new SMART Samsungs but their reflective screen is my main issue when it comes to pros and cons. Perhaps this is not such a big issue where everything around in the room is well lit and seating distances are not the same as for the sitting room at home like in a public place.

Congratulations, a friend got a PHILLIPS for his bedroom(46")
and actually likes the picture better than the main display in his living room(samsung). I don't agree, but the picture is quite good.:1: