Help Me Pick A New 'Slim Line' CD Player: [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Pick A New 'Slim Line' CD Player:

Vinylly
07-05-2011, 07:02 AM
Being an artist, I'm very concerned about the 'asthetic appearance' of the gear I choose as well as the quality of the sound.
I put together a wonderful little mini-system for my shop. The speakers consist of NHT PRO active mini-speakers. Reference LIne Mod 2000 passive preamp and a Perreaux TU-1 tuner. All I need now is a CD player. Both the preamp and the tuner are very 'slim-line', being not more then 2" in height. Is there a good CD player on the market with a height of about 2" ?
I would buy another Arcam fmj 36 like I have in my studio, but it is 4" in height, so I want something equally as good but only about 2" in height.
If I ever retire and move to a retirement home with minimum of space, this would be the system I would keep. So, also, is there a good subwoofer that could be connected to a minimalist passive preamp? Does NHT make one? I'm using a REL Stata now with my living room system but I don't understand how it's connecting system would work with a passive preamp and with amplifiers built into the speaker system.:9:

Poultrygeist
07-07-2011, 02:41 AM
The slimist of slim CD players will probably be Panasonic DVD player. Mine measures 1 3/8 inches high. Oppos are also fairly slim.

Some passive preamps have two outputs which makes things easier. You can connect one output to the amp and one to the powered sub. If you have a passive preamp with only a single output you could try splitting it using a Y RCA connection.

woofersus
07-07-2011, 06:33 AM
My Sony BDP-S370 is pretty slim and can play SACD's, DVD-A, and BD-A in addition to CD's. (by virtue of its being a Blu-Ray player) It can be had for $110-$120 as well.

If you want something a little higher end maybe look at a Nuforce CDP-8. It's 8.5" x 14" x 1.8" and looks pretty cool. (http://www.nuforce.com/hi/products/cdplayer/index.php)

The slimmest thing I sell is 3.1" tall I believe, and while I think it looks nice, its overall impression is fairly "standard size" due to the 16.9" width. (http://www.eaststreetaudio.com/Products/13-onix-cd-10.aspx)

hifitommy
07-08-2011, 03:09 PM
I saw that and others at costco for cheap.

Bdp bx58-$179

Bx 38-$119

Bx 37-$99

All nice and thin and will play sacd. Thats a benefit because of the up sampling which sounds excellent on RBCDs!

Take your pick.

bfalls
07-09-2011, 01:07 PM
Sony's BDP-S570 is a good slim unit with built-in wifi, network accessible plug-ins, very quick loading. However my Oppo BDP-93 is a much better, yet more costly player. I believe the Oppo's performance outweighs the increase in cost.

bratek1343
07-14-2011, 01:03 AM
Really? I have just this, Sony's BDP-S570. And I'm satisfied of this. :thumbsup:

woofersus
07-14-2011, 04:42 AM
Sony's BDP-S570 is a good slim unit with built-in wifi, network accessible plug-ins, very quick loading. However my Oppo BDP-93 is a much better, yet more costly player. I believe the Oppo's performance outweighs the increase in cost.

The Oppo BDP-93 is indeed a very nice player, and probably the only one to consider in that price range for the average person shopping for a blu-ray player, (for cd-only there are a myriad of options) but the OP wanted "slim," which the Oppo is not. It's not a bad looking piece IMHO, but everybody has their hangups when it comes to aesthetics I suppose.