just returned from Audio Advise (long) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : just returned from Audio Advise (long)

Tarheel_
07-01-2011, 10:17 AM
You may recall my co-worker is looking for a solid 3.1 setup mainly focused on music.

We did the Magnolia thing and he ordered some Polks online, but still not happy...he decided to up the budget a bit.

We visited a place in Raleigh:
http://www.audioadvice.com/audio-video-brands.php

Here's what we listened to using his demo CD
Bookshelf:
- B&W CM5
- PSB Alpha
- PSB Image B
- Aerial Accoustics Model 5B
- Peachtree 5.25

Full Range
- Aerial Accoustic 7T (Rosenut)

Our opinions slightly varied, but not much...

Top bookshelf: The AA 5B ($2200/pair). This speaker throws enough sound that you'd swear it was a full range speaker. Detail, imaging, crisp instruments were all top notch. Unless you watch a lot of movies, sub is optional with these...they go that low. Build quality was well above normal.

B&W CM5 was disappointing, especially when we learned the price point these go for (priced close to AA)...fast response and nice upper end, but i felt the mids lacked and bass wasn't tight..wonderful fit and finish. While listening i could not take my eyes off the 803 Diamond in Cherrywood..WOW, what a statement speaker. We did not hear them though.

The PSB speakers we did not agree on...i preferred the Image B, he liked the Alpha...the Alphas were only $280 pair and for that money they are great speakers. I felt they lacked dynamic range though, but the Image B extended the D range enough for me. Don't shoot me here, but i'd put the Image B against the B&W and expect them to sound close...not alike, but close in musical detail.

Peachtree speakers were small, but beautiful. Boy they throw an enormous amount of sound with a nice detailed, airy sound. It had it's limited based on size, but overall I was impressed. I would never own these, but those with very limited space and have a need for good sound, you can do much worse. They were $600/pair I believe.

The grand finale was a move to the upper end demo listening room. In front of us was a single chair staring directly into ML gear flanked by twin mono ML amps priced at $50k for the pair. Speakers were Vandersteens, Aerial Acoustics and Magnepan. Based on our impression of the AA bookshelf, we asked to listen to the AA 7T speakers ($9980/pair). They are new this year and wrapped in Rosenut, they are gorgeous. We started with an old Elvis song and it was dynamite. The 3D imaging was incredible...bass hit low, but delicate (hard to explain). Mids were detailed and airy...the sound just came at you in droves. Overall, it really out classed my Revel Performas F30s on every level. Of course, the $50k in source gear helps, but believe me they were a treat to listen to. We both enjoyed our time.

I'm trying to steer him to purchase from a local specialized shop. They were helpful, had multiple rooms and were not unapproachable. I sure hope these type of places survive this economy. My Revel dealer sure didn't.
Thanks for taking time to read my opinions. What a great way to spend 2 hours over lunch!

Hyfi
07-01-2011, 10:57 AM
You may recall my co-worker is looking for a solid 3.1 setup mainly focused on music.

We did the Magnolia thing and he ordered some Polks online, but still not happy...he decided to up the budget a bit.

Bookshelf:
- B&W CM5
- PSB Alpha
- PSB Image B
- Peachtree 5.25

Full Range

Top bookshelf: The AA 5B ($2200/pair). This speaker throws enough sound that you'd swear it was a full range speaker. Detail, imaging, crisp instruments were all top notch. Unless you watch a lot of movies, sub is optional with these...they go that low. Build quality was well above normal.

B&W CM5 was disappointing, especially when we learned the price point these go for (priced close to AA)...fast response and nice upper end, but i felt the mids lacked and bass wasn't tight..wonderful fit and finish. While listening i could not take my eyes off the 803 Diamond in Cherrywood..WOW, what a statement speaker. We did not hear them though.

The PSB speakers we did not agree on...i preferred the Image B, he liked the Alpha...the Alphas were only $280 pair and for that money they are great speakers. I felt they lacked dynamic range though, but the Image B extended the D range enough for me. Don't shoot me here, but i'd put the Image B against the B&W and expect them to sound close...not alike, but close in musical detail.

Peachtree speakers were small, but beautiful. Boy they throw an enormous amount of sound with a nice detailed, airy sound. It had it's limited based on size, but overall I was impressed. I would never own these, but those with very limited space and have a need for good sound, you can do much worse. They were $600/pair I believe.

The grand finale was a move to the upper end demo listening room. In front of us was a single chair staring directly into ML gear flanked by twin mono ML amps priced at $50k for the pair. Speakers were Vandersteens, Aerial Acoustics and Magnepan. Based on our impression of the AA bookshelf, we asked to listen to the AA 7T speakers ($9980/pair). They are new this year and wrapped in Rosenut, they are gorgeous. We started with an old Elvis song and it was dynamite. The 3D imaging was incredible...bass hit low, but delicate (hard to explain). Mids were detailed and airy...the sound just came at you in droves. Overall, it really out classed my Revel Performas F30s on every level. Of course, the $50k in source gear helps, but believe me they were a treat to listen to. We both enjoyed our time.

I'm trying to steer him to purchase from a local specialized shop. They were helpful, had multiple rooms and were not unapproachable. I sure hope these type of places survive this economy. My Revel dealer sure didn't.
Thanks for taking time to read my opinions. What a great way to spend 2 hours over lunch!

Very cool. I used to spend Saturday afternoons at Soundex just going through the 22 rooms, but of course the mega buck room number 1 was always a treat hearing systems worth $500k.

frenchmon
07-01-2011, 11:31 AM

Bookshelf:
- B&W CM5
- PSB Alpha
- PSB Image B
- Peachtree 5.25

Full Range

Man....as you know I use to live there until my wife (who makes more cash than I ever will) decided to transfer to St. Louis. I use to hang out at AA and the others around the Triangle. Now I am in a place that has hardly any audio....man I am home sick!

Tarheel_
07-01-2011, 11:52 AM
Man....as you know I use to live there until my wife (who makes more cash than I ever will) decided to transfer to St. Louis. I use to hang out at AA and the others around the Triangle. Now I am in a place that has hardly any audio....man I am home sick!

I seem to always pour salt in your wound...i promise it's not intentional...great area for sure and that place makes me want to work harder for some fun cash!

frenchmon
07-01-2011, 02:08 PM
I seem to always pour salt in your wound...i promise it's not intentional...great area for sure and that place makes me want to work harder for some fun cash!

Oh I know its not intentional....im glad you speak about it...but I always think about the beach and the mountains....and going down to Chapel Hill or over to Duke's and UNC campus to look at the girls,
or getting caught up in college basketball. I miss Cook-out and Back Yard Burger the Brunswick Stew, pig pickins..and all the audio stores.....oh I could go on and on...so im all ways home sick.

Ajani
07-01-2011, 03:46 PM
and going down to Chapel Hill or over to Duke's and UNC campus to look at the girls,

You might not want to let the wife read that one... :lol:

Ajani
07-01-2011, 03:49 PM
I seem to always pour salt in your wound...

You're pouring salt in my wound! I spent about 3 months on assignment in Raleigh and never visited a HiFi store... What a waste!

Tarheel_
07-01-2011, 07:23 PM
Ajani/frenchmon....next time your in the tarheel state, look me up. I can give you an audiophile ride either in the HT or on our boat. Be glad to have some folks who understand the importance of good music nearby!

frenchmon...in the Army i lived around KC for 4 years and loved the place, but missed everything in your post. You did forgot Cheerwine though. There is no place like home. Get your butt back here.

Poultrygeist
07-02-2011, 07:49 AM
A few years ago I owned a pair of Aerial Acoustics Model 5's which sounded good with a minimum of 150 watts from a Classe amp but sadly not in the ball park with much cheaper full range speakers. My $300 Tektons powered by a Miniwatt flea amp sound better.

Once I discovered the magic of high efficiency FRS+SET I couldn't sell the Model 5's and Classe fast enough.