I never thought that I would pay for radio. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I never thought that I would pay for radio.

ForeverAutumn
07-01-2011, 08:08 AM
I bought a new car in January that came with six months of free satellite radio. I thought that I'd listen for six months and then let it go. But man, I'm hooked!

Radio in Toronto sucks giant hippo balls. I never listen to it except for traffic reports and the occasional Kim Mitchell show, and a few other specific shows. For the most part my iPod keeps me company while I'm driving.

But this Sirius radio thing is great! I've been introduced to new bands and styles of music that I would have never had access to before. My favourite station has, surprisingly, turned out to be a Jam station. The Alt Nation station is actually Alternative, unlike the so-called alternative station in Toronto which is about as main-stream as it gets (not surprising since its owned by Corus).

So, since my trial period ends in a few weeks I actually gave in and paid for a year's subscription. Six months ago I thought that I would never do this, but it's so nice to have good music and real choices. And, frankly, I don't mind paying as long as it stays commercial free.

JohnMichael
07-01-2011, 08:31 AM
I think Sirius radio has a new tag line for their ads. "When your local radio sucks giant hippo balls".

Hyfi
07-01-2011, 08:43 AM
"sucks giant hippo balls".

Wasn't that your Ticketmaster trick for speaking to a real person?

Swish
07-01-2011, 08:46 AM
...I HATE MP3s! That's all they play and the sound quality is terrible. I've had it for 5 years and listen to more talk radio than I do music, but if I'm going to listen to music, it's either Alt-Nation, 1st Wave, or SiriusXMU, which is alternative to the extreme and a big unlistenable at times.

I was actually going to cancel when my subscription expired in February, but they automatically charged my card without permission for another year. Needless to say I freaked and called them to discuss. I told them I was ticked that they started charging additional $ to listen on my PC, telling them I don't drive nearly as much as I used to so I listen at least as much at home as in my car, but no way in he<a>ll I was going to pay extra for it. They ended up giving me the year for about $85 and included the internet connection.

ForeverAutumn
07-01-2011, 09:41 AM
The speakers that I listen to Sirius on are my car and PC, neither of which is optimum, so the MP3 issue doesn't really bother me that much. I'd rather listen to good music with bad sound than ****ty music with good sound, so it works for me.

You have to pay extra to listen on your PC? In Canuckland I get the car radio, my PC, and an iPhone app all for the same price. Or, at least I did for the trial period. I'm assuming that it's the same for the paid subscription. I'll be really pissed off it's not all included.

When I added the paid subscription to my trial, they gave me an additional three months free. Plus the annual fee is discounted by a month. So I'm getting 15 months for the cost of 11. It works out to $10.99 a month. :)

ForeverAutumn
07-01-2011, 09:41 AM
I think Sirius radio has a new tag line for their ads. "When your local radio sucks giant hippo balls".

AR needs a 'like' button. :yesnod:

GMichael
07-01-2011, 09:58 AM
I hate static! I'm with you FA. My car came with a 3 month trial and I've already renewed. There is so much to choose from. I love The Bone Yard and the Vinyl channels.
I'd rather hear static free music I like at MP3 rate, than lostless crap with static.

GMichael
07-01-2011, 10:00 AM
AR needs a 'like' button. :yesnod:

I got a shot off in JM's direction.

dean_martin
07-01-2011, 12:45 PM
I got a shot off in JM's direction.

Everybody DUCK!

Slosh
07-01-2011, 03:31 PM
I have a HEMI and dual exhaust. It's all the aural stimulation I need while driving :cool:

kexodusc
07-02-2011, 02:50 AM
Yep, we are hooked on it too. I have Sirius in my car after winning a receiver unit in January and the new vehicle came with XM. Dunno what the merger is going to mean, but I'll keep it in both vehicles.
I agree with you FA, the noise floor in my vehicles sorta makes the mp3 issue moot anyway, and most
FM stations didn't sound as good, especially with morning jockeys jabbering through the first 30 seconds of a song.

Swish
07-03-2011, 05:53 AM
...and is a pretty quiet car, so MP3s irritate me to no end. The bottom end is basically non-existent and the highs are weak as well. I'll stick to me cds for the most part.

Mr Peabody
07-03-2011, 07:16 AM
FA, same thing happened here, when we got our new vehicle a year or so ago it came with the free trial and I got hooked. I like the variety of music I can choose from and I as well have been turned onto new artists. I've got all the presets filled. BB King's Bluesville and The Boneyard gets frequented. The Jam is on one as well, I like the decade music stations, the one that plays the Electronic/New Age is pretty good sometime too.

The stations do seem to vary in sound quality, could be the type of music though. For instance, Hair Nation is usually a bit tinny where something like The Heat has a decent bottom end. On my particular car system the satelite sounds better than the local FM stations. FM is mostly using mp3 now so no real big advantage.

Jack in Wilmington
07-03-2011, 02:08 PM
Yea that 6 month trial was all I needed to get hooked. I like the Classic Vinyl, Real Jazz, Symphony Hall, and 40's on 4. As soon as I get my Camaro SS, I'll have it in that too Slosh. Nothing like tuned exhaust, and good tunes.

ForeverAutumn
07-03-2011, 02:16 PM
Even my husband is hooked and has vowed that his next car will have a satellite radio. Since we won't be in the market for another new car for a few years yet (fingers crossed that his truck lasts a few more years), I figure a portable radio for his truck is the perfect Christmas gift this year. :D

Mr Peabody
07-03-2011, 05:48 PM
Or, you could just have a new stereo put into the ole truck :)

JohnMichael
07-03-2011, 06:26 PM
Even my husband is hooked and has vowed that his next car will have a satellite radio. Since we won't be in the market for another new car for a few years yet (fingers crossed that his truck lasts a few more years), I figure a portable radio for his truck is the perfect Christmas gift this year. :D

I agree that would make a very nice present. As much as I enjoy my home stereo I also enjoy music in the car. Since I cannot fully focus on the music while driving I am much less critical. What is of greater interest to me is the ability to hear music you might not have been exposed to without Sirius. Then I could buy the music on cd or vinyl and enjoy the quality at home. Friends who burn compressed music to cd for me if I like it in the car I buy the cd or vinyl for home. Whatever feeds my love of music.

Slosh
07-03-2011, 06:54 PM
Sound system :)

http://i432.photobucket.com/albums/qq41/Slosh_album/HEMIintaketubeswap001.jpg

JohnMichael
07-03-2011, 06:55 PM
Sound system :)

http://i432.photobucket.com/albums/qq41/Slosh_album/HEMIintaketubeswap001.jpg

Feeling that need for speed!

Mr MidFi
07-05-2011, 05:46 AM
My car came with the typical 3-month subscription, and I found it interesting for the first week or two. But soon, I was back to listening to the pod. I allowed the subscription to lapse after the trial period.

For radio, it was very good. But it's still radio.

Jim Clark
07-06-2011, 06:43 AM
My wife's accura came with the standard XM trial, like most, we bought. All I listen to is SiriusXM U and for me, that alone justifies the price. Like most subscription items they make it way too complicated to compare plans, cancel, etc. but so far it's worth it. I'd really like to buy a new stereo for my car so I can quit lugging CDs in and out. suspect I will if there's any money left after tuitions are paid this fall.

Like you, didn't think I'd like it but I do.

jc

Finch Platte
07-06-2011, 02:04 PM
I never thought I'd pay for sex, but these giant hippo balls are making me pretty unattractive.