My First Intro Into HiRez Downloads [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : My First Intro Into HiRez Downloads

Jack in Wilmington
06-27-2011, 08:30 AM
Just bought the Halide Design USB to S/pdif cable. It took my Hi-Rez files from HD Tracks to a whole new level that blew me away.

Feanor
06-27-2011, 08:42 AM
Just bought the Halide Design USB to S/pdif cable. It took my Hi-Rez files from HD Tracks to a whole new level that blew me away.
What interface were you using previously, Jack? I gather the Halide is a lot better?

Pretty recently downloaded my first hi-rez example and was surprised at the quality I heard vs. CD or even SACD through my old player. I use a M-Audio Revo 7.1's S/PDIF output to an standa-alone DAC.

Jack in Wilmington
06-27-2011, 03:25 PM
What interface were you using previously, Jack? I gather the Halide is a lot better?

Pretty recently downloaded my first hi-rez example and was surprised at the quality I heard vs. CD or even SACD through my old player. I use a M-Audio Revo 7.1's S/PDIF output to an standa-alone DAC.

Hi Bill,
I was just using a USB cable from my laptop to my DAC. The Bryston will only handle resolutions up to 48k/16bit when you hook up this way. The Halide will do 96k/24bit when you connect it to the SPDIF. This may have been the most significant change that my system has ever gone through at one time.

Feanor
06-27-2011, 04:43 PM
Hi Bill,
I was just using a USB cable from my laptop to my DAC. The Bryston will only handle resolutions up to 48k/16bit when you hook up this way. The Halide will do 96k/24bit when you connect it to the SPDIF. This may have been the most significant change that my system has ever gone through at one time.
Great to hear it. I'd like to do more hi-rez downloads., I'd also like a new SACD player that could do some justice for the medium, although I've only got 35 or so SACDs so the cost is hard to justify.

Dawnrazor
06-30-2011, 01:07 PM
that you might like. hey they are free!

http://www.lessloss.com/high-resolution-audiophile-recordings-c-68.html?zenid=rq76jnln2e14fim227vi856oh2

Feanor
06-30-2011, 02:01 PM
that you might like. hey they are free!

http://www.lessloss.com/high-resolution-audiophile-recordings-c-68.html?zenid=rq76jnln2e14fim227vi856oh2
Thanks, DR. Free is Good!

harley .guy07
06-30-2011, 02:19 PM
Yeah I am looking at doing something like that moyself and was considering the unit you bought or the Musical Fidelity vlink but did not know which way to go so I am taking my time but it is good to know you like Halide piece.