An interesting development... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : An interesting development...

RoyY51
06-25-2011, 04:57 PM
I think I have recently noticed a certain change in the house music that is played through the overhead speakers in retail stores. It sounds to me like the bass guitar has been bumped up an octave...to the point where it almost sounds like a lead instrument. The more I listen, the more I realize that, prior to this change, I have never heard the lower bass notes reproduced through the typically bass-shy house speakers. Raising the bass line an octave (if, indeed, that's what they're doing) enables me to hear the entire bass line. It makes those well-known songs sound a little weird but does bring an interesting facet to the table. I imagine that with octave splitters and other modern-day technologies, such a thing is probably possible, but does anybody know, for a fact, that it is actually being done? Or is it just my 60-year-old ears playing tricks on me?

JoeE SP9
06-26-2011, 08:30 PM
Are you talking "Muzak" or actual house music an independent retailer might play? Muzak records all their own music. It's possible and probable they would do what you're hearing.

RoyY51
06-27-2011, 05:03 AM
I first noticed this re-mixing at Home Depot...the pop and light rock pablum that's played during store hours. I've since heard it at other retailers, too. It's not the typical "elevator music" (101 Strings play The Beatles) that's been re-recorded by an orchestra, but the original songs by the original groups. And it's not on every recording...just the ones with a bass line that contributes substantially to the appreciation of the song.

At least, that's what I THINK I'm hearing.

pixelthis
06-27-2011, 03:30 PM
SOME OF THIS IS "new tech", or tech that is now more affordable.
SOME IS THE YOUNGER GENERATION "taking over.:1:

RoyY51
06-27-2011, 03:53 PM
Personally, I think it's the Taliban...but that's just me...

Sir Terrence the Terrible
06-28-2011, 10:40 AM
I think I have recently noticed a certain change in the house music that is played through the overhead speakers in retail stores. It sounds to me like the bass guitar has been bumped up an octave...to the point where it almost sounds like a lead instrument. The more I listen, the more I realize that, prior to this change, I have never heard the lower bass notes reproduced through the typically bass-shy house speakers. Raising the bass line an octave (if, indeed, that's what they're doing) enables me to hear the entire bass line. It makes those well-known songs sound a little weird but does bring an interesting facet to the table. I imagine that with octave splitters and other modern-day technologies, such a thing is probably possible, but does anybody know, for a fact, that it is actually being done? Or is it just my 60-year-old ears playing tricks on me?

It is not that the bass guitar has been bumped up, its that the speakers are only able to play(with any loudness) the octave above the fundamental bass tones. If a speaker reproduces a 40hz tone, you will also hear 80,160, and 320hz over tones as well but lower in level. . If the speaker is incapable of reproducing the fundamental 40hz tone, you will hear the 80,160, and 320hz tones. If it is incapable of 80hz reproduction, you will hear the 160 and 320hz tones - though much lower in level.

RoyY51
06-28-2011, 02:57 PM
A very interesting supposition, but I have one caveat: if the overtones are being reproduced at a much lower level, why do they sound just as loud as the rest of the instrumentation? The bass lines in these songs are very strong, very forceful and very direct. I would think that harmonic overtones would be kinda nebulous, at best.

Mr Peabody
06-28-2011, 04:02 PM
Just a guess, maybe like most radio these days the services have switched to mp3. MP3 would account, with the compression, as to why maybe the bass line is easier to hear. MP3 on radio sounds so foreign to me a familiar song can sound like a remix.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
06-29-2011, 11:12 AM
A very interesting supposition, but I have one caveat: if the overtones are being reproduced at a much lower level, why do they sound just as loud as the rest of the instrumentation? The bass lines in these songs are very strong, very forceful and very direct. I would think that harmonic overtones would be kinda nebulous, at best.

Its called compression. If the bass lines are very strong, then the harmonics would also be strong, but lower in level from the fundamentals. When you add strong compression to the equation, the entire mix will sound pretty balanced, harmonics and all. The harmonics of bass frequencies are much louder than the harmonics of midrange and high frequencies because of their long wavelengths.

RoyY51
06-29-2011, 02:12 PM
Makes sense. Thanks, Sir T! I'd give you a greenie if I didn't have to spread them around first.