BIGGER stupid question...(I will NOT be out done!) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : BIGGER stupid question...(I will NOT be out done!)

thepogue
04-13-2004, 03:58 PM
;)

Hey guys...good news I just got my first turn table in years. Its a Tech. 1700 mk II. It also came with a Shure Cart. (V15 Type IV) but it needs a needle. Also it came w/ a Stanton cart (GII RW or something like that?) also needing a new needle. I looked online and a found new stylus but do I need to by a new stylus or can I just get needles for the above and if so where and how. Sorry for such lame questions but the last time I owned a TT was in the military and used it for a drinking partner and never replaced anything on it besides the records ;) Anyone know where I can get one and how the heck to put the new one in? I'm really looking forward pulling all my old LP's out and any help would be great!! The first box I pulled out I found 4 or 5 Zapper LP's, The Cars, The Whos' Live at Leeds, lots of new-way stuff, Joe Jacksons "Look Sharp" some Zep, Sabbath, the list goes on and on...I can't wait!! ok nuff for now thanks again Peace, Pogue

Woochifer
04-13-2004, 05:40 PM
Both of the models that you listed are moving magnet designs and as such have replaceable styli. The Shure V15 is one of the better MM carts out there and you should optimize around that one. First place I would check is The Needle Doctor (www.needledoctor.com). They probably maintain the largest replacement needle inventory around (also a good source for replacement turntable belts), and should be able to locate the stylus you're looking for. Stanton cartridges are popular in the DJ trade because they are very rugged, but as far as sound goes, the Shure will probably give you better results.

markw
04-13-2004, 06:16 PM
What Wooch says is true, acdurate and good advice, but let me clarify something that your post screams out for...

Ther terms "needle" and "stylus" are, in this case, pretty much interchangable. The "stylus assembly" (which contains the diamond needle and it's cantilever (mounting stuff)) slides into (and out of) the phono cartridge to allow easy replacment. The "needle" itself is not replaceable*.

So, in essence, when you replace the needle, you are replacing the stylus (assembly).

*'excepting for some hi zoot moving coil units, that cost more than I am willing to even think about, and need to be sent to the factory for replacement.

thepogue
04-13-2004, 06:24 PM
thanks for the info...BTW I know I only get on silly question a week...so you saved my second one (Mark) ;) I'll be looking over the next few days...if you guys see any on-line give me a yell...I went to one site and they didnt have a replacement for the Shure but I'll keep hunting.... thanks again. Peace

markw
04-13-2004, 06:33 PM
Just bring the head assembly down and get one of the guys who seems to be somewhat alerrt to look it up. They have an amazing on-line resource for these kinda things. I know, I worked for them full time and part time on and off over a 35 year period (even before they were Radio Shack).

dean_martin
04-14-2004, 07:14 AM
try edsaunders.com. this guy has hundreds of replacement needles/styli for all types of cartridges. He's also a nice guy. get his # from his website and give him a call. he's got tons of stuff on ebay too.