Cars Favorite Top 3 Songs [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Cars Favorite Top 3 Songs

Smokey
06-23-2011, 03:16 PM
I just loved this band in its hay days. In early 80's where every major bands that got played on the radio almost sounded same, the Cars had that prog. sound that was fresh and on the edge. And Ric Ocasek was the perfect front man for this band.

Not in any particular order:

1. Hello Again
2. Since You're Gone
3. Its All I can Do
4. Touch And Go

http://meversuspitchfork.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/thecars.jpg

Stone
06-24-2011, 05:10 AM
3 or 4? Off the top of my head (and it's been a while since I've listened to the Cars):

1. You're All I've Got Tonight
2. Since You're Gone
3. Touch and Go
4. Let's Go

GMichael
06-24-2011, 05:28 AM
My Best Friend's Girl
You Might Think (I'm crazy)
Tonight She Comes

You Might Think came on the radio the other night and my 2 year old thought it was great. She started dancing like crazy and doing her best to sing along. One of the funniest things I've seen in a while.

dean_martin
06-24-2011, 07:41 AM
Moving in Stereo, especially as used in the scene below

nobody
06-24-2011, 10:16 AM
The Cars debut is just amazingly good....so I'll pick three off that...

Just What I Needed
Best Friend's Girl, &
Let the Good Times Roll

Let's Go off Candy-O is pretty stellar too and they had a some other good songs throughout, but that first album was special.

Davey
06-24-2011, 10:46 AM
I love the first record, but unlike most, I even liked Candy-O more. Think it might've been the darker tone, the very cool stereo effects, the way many of the songs blended together. Original vinyl release sounds great, lots of fun. So my choices would be ....

It's All I Can Do
Double Life/Shoo Be Doo/Candy-O (obviously can't be separated)
Dangerous Type

After those first two, not much love, though I'm not completely sure why since the music doesn't change all that much. but I do have a special place for those first two.

alienation is the craze, and it's all gonna happen to you

3LB
06-24-2011, 11:08 AM
Touch And Go
Since You're Gone
Strap Me In

I've heard the new album, Move Like This, with Ocasek back in the fold (no Todd Rundgren). Its better than you'd think, much better than their last album proper, Door To Door, which was not much more than a contractual obligation at the time. Move Like This is unabashedly 'new wave retro' and does have that old vibe of the earlier stuff but lacks a real hit (pretending of course there's still such a thing as radio). Interestlingly enough, Rundgren's contributions to The New Cars from '06 would have fit the bill as his take on '80s Cars, Not Tonight, was spot-on. Ocasek was furious at Todd for his participation, so that's never gonna happen. I read somewhere a tour is planned, but they plan on using canned, triggered bass parts. I hope that's just for the first few dates.

On a side note, one guy over at PE said that he saw one of their performances and they were a tight unit, playing note-perfect renditions of the songs, with the stage presence of a work release crew - just like old times.

dingus
06-24-2011, 03:16 PM
Bye Bye Love
Dangerous Type
Magic

Smokey
06-24-2011, 08:38 PM
I read somewhere a tour is planned, but they plan on using canned, triggered bass parts. I hope that's just for the first few dates.

With Benjamin Orr who died in 2000 which also did vocal as well the bass, Cars pretty much lost its softer side and the other voice of Cars. I wonder who is going sing the songs vocaled by Orr. It will be a hard replacement.

Mr Peabody
06-25-2011, 05:15 AM
I agree the first album is hard to top but I will only pick one from there since there are other songs on my list.
You're All I've Got Tonight
Touch & Go
Whose Going To Drive You Home (I can't help it and I think it's one of the better songs from the latter years) I used to have Cars vinyl but foolishly sold them with other LP's in the 80's. Luckily I didn't go too crazy with replacing things on CD.